1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Nameless Doll: Troubles naming dolls.

Jan 19, 2010

1. I do have some dolls that are based off characters of mine, so of course, those were easy. I bought a doll that was already named and I just kept that name as it did suit him. Those dolls that I bought that I don't have a character for them are a little harder to name. My little vampire girl still doesn't have a name after 3 months, but I narrowed it down to two: Isabella or Morrigan (she's in my signature, any thoughts?). My Mom has an even harder time to name hers, she has a girl that she's had for about 7 months and still doesn't have a name for her.

2. I named my boy Beckett pretty easily, the problem with him arises with the fact that I can't really decide whether it's his first name or his surname. I like the idea of his going by his surname but I can't decide on his forname! I have one pencilled in but I keep coming across other cool names and thinking "huh, that'd be pretty cool".

3. I made a list of over 100 names that I liked for my ante girl... from yhat list I slaved over making a smaller list (about 30) of full names... and from that I made it a list of ten... and then all of a sudden a name came to me and it was NO WHERE even close to being on that list ..so the name page was semi useless lol.

Sent from the vale of the fairies!

4. I'm in the process of deciding a name for my first doll, I'm hoping once she gets here one of the names I thought up will stick. Every time I think I'm sure of a name I suddenly feel doubtful, I'm very picky when it comes to naming things unfortunately. I like the name to fit perfectly XD; (It's been almost four weeks now too and I'm still undecided!)

5. When I was pregnant with my daughter we had a fun evening with a name dictionary. So many funny names we would never ever choose! In the end we picked two names for our child (one for a girl, one for a boy). The same evening I came across a boy's name I like very much whereas my hubbie didn't. I never forgot it and when I had ordered my first BJD, I knew he would get that name: Toivo (that means hope). Now I'm waiting for my second doll and I plan on naming her Inkeri. Both a finnish names, don't know what drags me to them.
      As for names in general, some years ago I bought a giraffe, a Living Doll Puppet. It was on a saturday and I knew the animal to be a girl. A friend of mine comes from Ghana, so I looked up Akan names. They give their children names related to the day they are born on. Kofi f.ex. means "boy born on a friday". My giraffe is therefor called Ama (i.e. girl born on a saturday). And my (Barbie) Suzette (her stage name, she is a singer) is in real life Suzanne Delice d'Argental. Delice d'Argental is a certain cheese from France but I love the sound and the name fits her perfectly.

6. I'm getting a pukipuki and I thought I'd have difficulty...and then the name Clove came to.me :) seems perfect

Sent from the vale of the fairies!

7. sometimes a name is easy for me to pick, but sometimes i've had a doll for one year or more and haven't found the right name. i try not to name my dolls just so they have names, i like to find something that suits them so if it takes even a year to come up with the perfect name that's ok ^^

8. I have a hard time with names. I will usually look up baby names online and see if any fit .

9. I have 2 dolls, both nameless with no prospects. Sigh...

10. Long time inventing nicknames for rpg games =) Now come up with names for my girls =)
      Sometimes I use parts of my old nicknames, translating into different languages ​​=)
      Thus there Ame and Taiyō.
      Sometimes call the names of characters from favorite works. for example - Shinobu Oshino from Bakemonagatari series =)
      Sometimes names come to mind when I look at girl who has come to us. So, in our house, come into sight Ariete =)

11. Slightly off topic... "The Nameless Doll" frankly would be a cool title for something. :O

I have never really had this problem with dolls, since all my dolls are shells of my characters. But with the characters themselves, yes xD often...

I think names are so important. A lousy name can totally kill a thing, whereas an unexpected or unconventional one can sometimes really bring out a whole new awesome side. Sometimes it's a name you used to hate that finally fits, and you realize you actually love it lolol. So even if one comes to me right away, I usually try to give a few other ones (even if they seem awkward) a chance too P:

12. I don't mind if a doll is nameless for awhile, since one of my favorite things to do is come up with names for my BJDs :) During the (typical) 3 month waiting period after I place my order from the company, I scour the web for names that would suit my characters. I come up with a rough outline for their story, so I can start developing what kind of character they will be. Then I find names that I think would fit their character, and create a list. These names are narrowed down over the weeks until I have found the perfect name for who they will be. Names are usually picked out by the time they arrive, but sometimes I change it after their faceup is done if another name would suit them better. If I purchase a doll on the MP, I have more difficulty picking out a name. I'm not really sure why that is.

13. Oh thats a nice question. Depends on the doll, actually. I have decided on my first doll name even before it arrived. The second doll kinda fit the sellers already fixed name for the doll. And for the last doll I got, even my parents helped me choosing the name because it was kind of hard to pick one for him. Usually the name for the doll popps out out of nowhere and suddenly you realize, there is it.

14. I have the hardest time picking names for mine. I keep change the names.

15. I think the naming of my current dolls was a relatively easy task. Though for my DollLeaves Kira, he was a bit picky.. I think I changed his name at least 2 or 3 times before it stuck. My girls didn't give me any issues though, thankfully.

16. I think this post is perfect for me XD I'm still indecise how to call my dolls (expecially my first 2 dolls)... I've changed their names at least 3 times...and yet, I'm still indecise XD but usually, when I'm indecise, it means that nothing really convinced me.. because when I REALLY like something,I don't have any doubts anymore! So, I really need to find the perfect names...

17. It's always hardest for me to name a character or a doll, to find a name that will suit them perfectly. Sometimes I need a week, sometimes several months.

Robomantic
      I like complicated, long names with short versions, and I like the name you chose for your doll. Suits her!

18. some of mine were easy to name, and some take forever to find a name that just seems "right" a lot of my dolls are named after favorite characters in books, and/or favorite authors, for the rest i use a baby name book left over from naming my real kids.

19. when I first started I had no problem with names (so I thought!) as I decided they would all begin with 'E' and just used a baby name website for inspiration. Which was OK until around doll number....7 or 8, when I started to struggle with that rule! The dolls I named after that never really fitted their 'E' name, and I tended to just use their sculpt name. I've had a few dolls recently which just 'named themselves' while I was thinking about buying them - their name just floated into my head from nowhere at all! If that doesn't happen though, I tend to just make a variant on their sculpt name - same initial, same sound, but a different name - unless I really love their sculpt name for their character, as with my dollzone Flora :aheartbea

20. I'm SO BAD at names- I have naming schemes, which helps me. For instance, all my tinies (first dolls) have Beatles themed names (lame I know)- Lucy, Jojo, Mr. Kite, Eleanor.

My current working set of dolls all has tea-themed names! Darjeeling, Grey, Pekoe, and Camellia.