1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the NICEST things people do or say

Sep 2, 2009

1. I had been looking at this lovely Impldoll Adela faceup for a while and desperately wanted one. My oldest sister let me and her go through the marketplace on her account and look at dolls, and LO AND BEHOLD, there is that EXACT doll with that EXACT faceup for sale for 200 dollars. And my sister mentioned that she actually owed me 200 dollars, so we agreed on her buying the doll for me instead of paying me money. Best impulse buy ever!! My lovely Aisling is my favorite girl (and my profile picture).

2. I have one doll based on an HP Lovecraft character, Lavinia Whateley. I finally worked up the nerve to post some photos of her to an HP Lovecraft FB group and she received a very positive response, even from the non-BJD people.

3. Hmm I haven't been in this hobby long so I don't really have many stories yet...
      But one day my mom had randomly come over to my house with a leopard print chair/jewelry box that she'd bought when she was at Goodwill because she "thought it would fit my doll".
      It was unexpected, but kind of cool, even though I'm hoping to reupholster it and try to add some height to the chair so that the larger doll I'm saving up for will have a chair too.
      ...Since my current doll has a chair her size already.

4. I needed some help getting a doll's foot back on (the Delf resin ankle peg thing can be tricky) so I asked my older brother if he'd give me a hand, I expected him to be annoyed but he was so happy he got to help that it was kind of refreshing :lol:

Later on I was still working on the doll, I looked up and my brother was standing in the doorway again, smiling, and said "It's nice to see you doing something that makes you so happy." It's touching to have that kind of support for artsy endeavors, I know a lot of people don't.

I also got a friend who was actually deeply fearful of dolls into this hobby because she liked mine so much, after being around him for awhile she said he was more like a weird silent grouchy-looking family member than a doll. Now she has three of her own. It's a very contagious fever.

5. This isn't nice so much as adorable: my 3 year old niece came over recently and I had a doll project on the table which was an EID man body sitting there fully intact and his head separate which I'm in the process of doing extensive mods to. Anyway she was in love with him and wanted to hold him SO badly. I said "I'm sorry but he's not finished yet" and her reply was "give him eyes and hair ok? :love" but she didn't try to touch him I've never seen so much self control from a 3 year old.

6. I've had several occasions where people have been nice or said nice things, one time during the winter I was bringing Farera (Volks Nono) to the grocery store with me and some guy walking past said, "Make sure to cover her ears so she wont get cold" :) I could tell he was being cute about it since Farera wasn't wearing hat or anything.

Another time was when I was working in Tokyo, I would go to the same Maid Café once a week and I'd always bring one of my dolls and sit them across the table from me, the servers would bring a small shot glass full of water and place it on the table infront of the doll :chibi It was so cute!

But my most fav times I can remember are when my nieces and nephews are around my dolls, when my nieces were younger I would let them 'play' with my dolls (carefully and supervised of course), my youngest niece loved Lecaria (Pullip Latte) the most and would always compliment what she was wearing :aheartbea
      Recently though my two nephews have gotten to the age where they want to interact with my dolls more, my younger nephew loves to play with their feet and stare at them for the longest time (I think he likes their faces or maybe he's wondering why they aren't moving :XD:), but my older nephew who's almost 3 likes to hold them and tap the tips of their noses, my fav time was when he was holding my newest doll Blade (Iplehouse Claude) and he very gently ran his finger under his chin and then kissed Blade on the head :whee: I'm always surprised at how gentle my nephews can be with my dolls considering how much they abuse their own toys :lol:

7. That is the most delightful story! 8D man I would love to do that.

Nicest thing... Nothing specific, just that not only do my mom and my dad like my dolls, but my husband's mom does too! She even got one a few dresses for Christmas.

I have ALWAYS loved dolls and plush so my family wasn't surprised at the hobby at all. My mom was probably relieved I gave up toy robots (Gundam), haha. I think my dad building doll furniture with me was the nicest thing. He has two Dollfie Dreams so we help each other with our "doll houses" when we have time to visit.

8. I'll say that whenever my Doll groups are meeting up, someone almost always asks about them very nicely.

Most of my nice stories are nice things people have done / offered to me not my dolls. A friend has offered many times to let dolls come to my house and visit. Very, very nice for such prized possessions in addition to the fact I have dogs and she's allergic. Another has offered to fix dolls for me which meant epoxy sculpting and color matching a weird color. I have had a woman give me an adorable outfit and sell me several dolls with tons of extras. One who sells clothes still gave me a bunch of free patterns. I'm lucky enough to live near a great group of people.

9. This is going to sound weird, but here goes. I'm wildly insecure about my body, and this hobby of beautiful things is good and bad for that. I have a really small chest, so looking at the boob-a-palooza sd dolls is not always good for me.

One of the best moments I've had was with finding a body for a hybrid. My girlfriend was helping me, and the character, canonically, can't be super bodacious. We were frustratedly trying to find a sculpt, and she sighed in frustration, and said she wished there were dolls with my figure, in particular my small chest. It felt so good that she thought I was prettier than these idealized resin sculptures.

10. When I first started I didn't have much money, but I managed to get enough to buy a doll but no clothes or wigs or eyes for said doll. I was so happy to have the doll anyway so it didn't bother me. But I had this one friend in the community that was like hey you need things and she gave me all these doll supplies. Like everything, some on a loan basis but a lot of it was given to me for keeps. It made me so happy and I couldn't thank her enough.

11. I was in a comic convention with one of my dolls because we had a doll meeting there. I was carrying one of my boys because we where moving here and there when I stopped in a store and bought a comic.

The seller told me "I have seen many of these dolls lately and your girl is the cutest doll I have ever seen"

I said "Thank you, although he is a boy" (he was dressed with a yukata and it's a DOD yen, so I can totally undestand the mistake)

The seller looked my doll again and say "Well, even so HE is the cutest girl I have ever seen"

He made me smille.

12. I appreciate when people comment and appreciate my dolls, especially if those people are not BJD hobbyists themselves.

13. Just had it happen yesterday when I took one of my dolls for a shoot in a bookstore. The lady stopped me and was really interested in my doll. I tried to help her out because, hey, the more the merrier. Anyways...she complimented that my doll had great style. I really like that.

14. I have a similar story about my own niece, who's the same age. I left 2 of my dolls on the kitchen counter, and when she saw them, she got very excited - "Those are auntie's dolls!" She didn't try to grab them or mess with them, or anything like that. She just knew they were mine, and that meant that I was around somewhere. She's a great kid.

15. Well my mom has always disliked my doll because she thinks it is weird that I am 18 and I "play with a doll" but as time goes on she has become more understanding. Recently, she even she even agreed to make my doll a pair of pants! (My mom is a very skilled seamstress) So it just made me happy that she is supporting me in this hobby! :)

16. The nicest thing is when people who are normally terrified of dolls say "wow, your dolls are really pretty!"