1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the NICEST things people do or say

Sep 2, 2009

1. Wow dolls instead of an engagement ring - I'd take that any time of the day! I'm not into engagement rings anyway so that sounds double cool!

I generally don't get much niceties from people cause not many even know I collect dolls. People here are just so different that a hobby like this makes me pretty much into a freak :lol: I don't mind that at all. But I do have one thing! In the summer I took some of my dolls with me to my moms summer house to try to sand their seams and my stepdad was surprisingly all interested and very helpful, he sat with me teaching me how to do it properly. It was amazing. He's the last person on earth I ever imagined ever to even look at my dolls, even less help me sand them. We didn't get too far though cause apparently those dolls get white streaks on the sanding spots but still!

2. Well, my friend's grandmother is a really religious person (ie. our religion doesn't exactly approve of BJDs :sweat) so I was kind of afraid of showing her my Dante, until the dear old lady gushed over him and said he was very beautifully sculpted. I was really touched by that! And she also commented that it was sweet how much I loved him. ^^

3. The girl I regularly baby sit told me that she had a crush on my boy. (awwwww c: ) she often talks to him, and is very shy when doing so. I happen to be very flattered by this haha :)

4. I brought my DZ Morphoa to school once because she was in a video I made for my religion class, and I thought people might ask questions. I hadn't taken her out before so I thought, "hey, why not!" Before I presented my project I took her out of her box and all of a sudden a couple of girls in my class came rushing over to she her! One girl in perticular was very interested, and it made me so happy when she asked to hold her! I was so genuinley suprised that she was so interested, and she held my doll so carefully, it was great.

5. Aside from actually buying her for me? My husband is really sweet and funny about Marnie, and laughs at the little things I do with her (e.g. letting her use a plushie mountain goat as a footstool).

6. That is so sweet. ;n;

7. A non-doll friend bought a doll chair for my crew. This involved hiding it in a big bag while we were at a mall far from home and carrying the thing on the train before finally giving it to me for Christmas, beautifully wrapped. I was so touched! :) :) :)

8. One of my friends has told me she thinks my doll is cool, and she sees how I'm so into it. That was pretty nice since I also have a friend who is more negative on it. My parents have so far been paying for my dolls (birthday and Christmas presents), so I'd say that's pretty darn nice ^_^ I've also had someone at church come up and compliment him because of the pictures I have on facebook X3

9. I brought my Cing to show my art teacher, and she thinks he's really adorable and make clothes and necklace & bracelet for him... i was so happy XD that someone actually care about Cing other than me

10. I have to say the nicest thing I have experienced was when my husband told me that he talks about my dolls to his division on his submarine, but in a good way. Even they have considered getting one for their own wives or daughters. Other times come from relatives that see pictures, complimenting me on my wig and clothes making.

11. The gifts that come with the dolls are special, *hugs* and thank yous for the kind and thoughtful gestures, they are lovely, and sweetly appreciated.
      Comments on your dolly pics, it's really nice to know you are giving enjoyment for others :-)

12. I am often complimented on my hand-crafted or adapted costumes.

I think my favorite story is about my step-father. My mother started the BJD habit (er, Hobby) first, and I followed suit less than a year later. (We're both collectors of many kinds of dolls.) My stepfather was tolerant of her hobby, but really found the whole think kind of bewildering. I had just gotten my first Asian ball-jointed doll, and he and I were at a party at an anime convention. I was reading tarot cards, and I asked him to hold my doll while I worked. He was very indulgent and sat the doll on his lap, like he has seen my mother do.

After a couple of minutes, he suddenly looked at the doll and up at me and said, "Oh!"
      I grinned at him. "You get it now, don't you?"
      He continued to look at the doll, puzzled. "Yeah... the doll just kind of became real there for a minute..."

I'm very lucky. Most of the people I encounter are delighted by my hobby. Few people give me grief or rude comments. It's possible that strangers stare at me if I have my doll(s) with me in public, but I learned long ago to successfully ignore rude stares.

Oh, there was that time that I went to the Hardware store (looking for s-hooks!) and helped an elderly couple manage the door and their wagon. I had my dolls in a basket (the ones who needed the hooks) and the lady looked at my basket and me and said, "Oh, look. You have your baby with you!"
      I answered, "Yeah, these are my Japanese art dolls. I need a hook for her hand..." and bent the hand at the wrist to show her. The gentleman nodded sagely and said, "Well, you came to the right place, little lady."
      Both of them were smiling brightly at me. And they were right; that hardware store had an excellent staff who were very helpful.

13. We doll-owners get a lot of flack for our creepy, weird, over-priced [insert other derogatory accusation here] dolls, but hopefully we get to hear nice things too! As an owner it's always good to hear your precious bundle of joy being appreciated, especially if the faceup or clothes or whatever are your own creative work. And of course it's always good for a doll's self-esteem to hear itself being talked of positively! What's the best reaction your dolls have ever had? And what kind of positive comment makes you feel best: about the doll's appearance, character, artistry, etc? Or other types of feedback?

My favourite reaction I've had so far was from my housemate who became very enthusiastic when he saw my dolls, and wants to use a photo of them on an album cover (he's a musician). I was very touched to think that he'd like to use my babies on something so special to him!

14. Best thing anyone said was an older couple asked if I made my Dollstown Hue boy. I was taking pics of him on a trip like 3 years ago and the gentleman asked if I had made the little man. :fangirl:

15. This isn't really a 'reaction,' persay, but a little while ago, my younger sister won a mini maraca keychain in her Spanish class and gave it to Bailey. ^w^ I thought it was so sweet that she thought of him. That is honestly one of the most meaningful gifts I've received; sure it was simple and didn't cost a thing, but it meant a lot to me that she would win that for Bailey, since she knows how much I love my dolls.

16. I suppose the best reaction I have ever had is when my friend's girl friend saw my little girl and loved her so much that she is now making clothes for her for when she gets here! And she also wants me to help her pick out a BJD of her own! It makes me feel happy that someone gives me a nice reaction for once.

17. I had a really surprising one too! After telling my boss a bit about them i decided to bring one of my girls into work with me one day. My boss loved her! She played with her hair and told me she was so beautiful, she looks like an angel. It made me feel so good to have her compliment my doll like that, since she like so many others was originally shocked at the price.

18. When my GF and I were visiting her Great Aunt several years ago, we brought along some dolls to take to the Volks store. She collected dolls her whole life but she doesn't really have any now, just some old props like chairs and miniature things.

So we left Sewek (Hewitt 2nd) standing in the living room near one of the chairs while we were on the back porch reading... And when we came back in we could hear her saying "Oh, what are you doing standing there by yourself? Did you need help getting in the chair? Aren't you cute!"

None of our other family members have shown much interest in the dolls but she really liked having them around.

19. Me and my best friend actually took our kid delves along on a tiny five-minute walk across the street once to rent a movie xD and while waiting at the stoplights a woman that was waiting along with us asked if they were our babies and praised them for looking pretty nice. I hadn't expected that at all! Weird looks maybe, but~ it sort of makes me smile still...