1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the NICEST things people do or say

Sep 2, 2009

1. Some woman at AnimagiC convention passed by and instantly fngirl-ed upon seeing Fionn. She admired his looks and clothes. She almost wanted to take him with her, but of course I could not allow her to do so, and she surprisingly refused to exchange her toddler for my doll :lol:

2. The best reaction I've received from a non-dolly person actually happened this past Saturday after a meet. A group of us went to a nearby fabric store, and a couple of the old ladies there ( including one who worked there) asked about my doll and admired how well she was made and poses. The employee even said that she wants one now! :)

3. I took my Pukifee Bonnie to a craft & quilt expo, (it's easier to find in-scale prints if she's with me) and one of the ladies at a booth just loved her~ She said she was the most adorable thing she'd ever seen, and was completely fascinated! The lady even gave me a small discount on her fabric! XD

4. I brought Reason to work one day because I was gonna meet a friend after work. My colleagues thought that she was a very pretty girl, so pretty, so beautiful, and that I was so creative. That was nice, if a little embarrassing. I was a bit worried, because he was in his hooves and horns, which might look demonic, but he was surprisingly well received. And passes for female. XD I liked that. XDD

5. Oh boy....I think the nicest reaction(s) Ive had were when I'd bring my boy somewhere and people would just flock to see him. They'd start gushing over how beautiful he is, petting his hair, admiring his clothes. It made me just beam with happiness because I think he is absolutely beautiful myself and seeing people appreciate him just fills me with pride over him.

6. My grandmother is really sweet and all, but I think she has a bit of a problem getting over the cost of the dolls. Now I got my third doll at home and I carried him around when she was visiting. She didn't really say anything about him, just nodded as a confirmation that she had noticed him. But when I hugged her goodbye she stopped for a second and waved to my boy as said goodbye to him as well.

That is the sweetest reaction I've ever had, because now it feels like my grandmother accepts my dolls and my hobby, that she has gotten past her worries about the price and buying something so expensive over the internet from a country so far away from where I live.

7. Oh, I have a few of these things:
      - My mother disapproves of me buying these expensive dolls (and insists that I invest them in something more productive), but every once in a while I come home to a new shirt she sew for the resin kids. ♥

- My officemate sometimes brings gifts of doll items. The best was a red office chair she bought from a novelty store. ♥

- Our youngest cousin (who's a very hyperactive boy--think Calvin--) cradles them carefully whenever we go for a visit.

And in general, the non-BJD people around me are very kind and properly enamored with these resin beauties. ♥♥♥

8. My best friend was with me (along with her dolls) to greet my boy at his box opening. Her squee was a good feeling, then we went for coffee along with our dolls, like a mini doll meet. We had a lady come sit with us who was quite interested in them. The other good reaction was at a doll convention, it was for vintage dolls but we brought ours anyway, a lady said she had always wanted one but was scared to buy one because she had never seen one in person before. She was happy to see ours and said she'd probably be ordering hers in a few weeks. :)

9. I love it when people do stuff for the dolls! A lady I know that works in the mall gave Amir Egyptian incense for his birthday. (and being descended from a Pharaoh, he loved that!) The same lady had a blast helping me pick out body jewelry for Loki's snake bites.

I also love when people aren't weirded out by the "personality" of dolls and ask me questions about the character.

My most recent strange but funny encounter was when I had Gus out shopping with me. I had him sitting in the cart in the child seat, his boyfriend (Ivory Stardust's boy) next to him. This older lady who didn't speak much english came up, started making over them. I explained that they are Asian ball joint dolls and she said she was shopping for gifts for her daughter who still lives in Asia. And proceeded to use Gus to decide on a purse color, holding up different things to see what looked best with him to help her chose for her daughter. I have NO idea how matching to him helped her shop for her daughter, but I found it interesting and amusing. LOL

10. Probably the best thing was, while in line for Indiana Jones at Disneyland, the lady in front of us insisted on helping us pose our dolls with some near by props. We spent the whole wait (the ride broke down so we were just standing around for a bit) gushing about how much she loved them and how pretty they were!

11. The nicest reaction I've received from somebody actually happened last weekend. I had Michael with me at the park, taking pictures, and an older lady came up to me to see what I was doing. She asked me all about Michael and finally said, "He's so beautiful!" I was like *glow*

12. Oh, mine's definitely a toss up between two reactions. I took my boy grocery shopping the other day, and whenever we do this we usually stop at the small restaurant across from the store for lunch. While sitting there the owner of the restaurant comes up to my table and asks to see him and immediately starts fawning over him. She even took him to show her husband.

The same day this guy took one look at him and said, "Now that is beautiful, that is so beautiful!"

The way these two people reacted towards him just made me so proud to be able to say he's mine :)

13. I've been very fortunate that all of my friends at college like my dolls. ^-^ I know a lot of people have negative reactions, but even my roommate for next year loves them! One of my friends used my dolls as models for her drawing homework because she though they were just so beautiful. I'm so proud of the work I've put into them.

14. The best reaction I've had was when my cousin (she's 35! and doesn't know nothing about BJDs or the Asia culture for that matter) we rarely talked before and I haven't seen her since many years ago.

Her family came to visit us and one day, I was alone in my room and I forgot to lock the door! she came in without knocking and found me dressing up my SDF Howl (no longer with me) on the bed, she immediately came to me all excited asking questions about the dolls and looking at it with tenderness <3 I was shocked because she took me by surprise and all I could do was smile and answer the best I could. I never imagined that reaction from her and she spent the whole day telling everyone in her family about my dolls and how pretty they are, even to her 6 year old son. She said she would like to have one and I think she wanted me to give her my Howl lol

It was a very nice reaction, I felt very happy to see someone outside the hobby appreciate these dolls and not calling them childish or creepy at first sight...she even acknowledged the fact that they are expensive because "they look expensive" (her words) :)

Then, my mom is always complimenting Kyoshi...I think he's her favorite because he was the first and the only one she grabbed when he came. She doesn't touch the other dolls nor does she say anything about them but she's always saying things about kyoshi, good things^^

Another, one...my brother likes my CP Chiwoo, Dantès. He told me once that he was his favorite^^ he never shows any like to any of my hobbies XD so that's really nice for me.

15. I've actually gotten more nice comments then mean ones, surprisingly.
      I don't really have any specific super nice reactions.
      But just someone saying my dolls are pretty or seem to show interest in them is cool.
      Kinda make you feel good that you're introducing someone to something new, and they actually like it.
      And that they don't think you're weird. XD

16. A few weeks ago I was at a clients house. I worked there (doing her household chores - she's too sick (and old; 89 years) to do it herself so that's why I work there :3) and in my break I chatted with her. She told me how she used to collect porcelain dolls and used to have really rare ones. She was very upset she had to give them away earlier this year.
      I told her how I am collecting dolls and showed her pictures of mine on my cellphone. She was so happy! And told me how pretty they looked. She also asked how tall they were, what they were made of and so on. She also strictly told me to keep their original boxes :)

It was a very pleasant midday :)

17. I brought my Miyu to the Columbus doll show, and I was buying something from a vendor, and a person nearby said, "I've seen a lot of those ball jointed dolls today, but I think yours is the prettiest I've seen."

I was so happy. I mean, there were a lot of beautiful dolls at the meet. I just like it when my girls get some love :)

18. This is a nice topic. :D

I think the nicest reactions I get consistently from "non-dolly" people is having them greet Iris along with me and my friends when I bring him over to visit friends or family. The coolest was when I first got him and took him to downtown Lancaster to this little Greek deli with my friends. (we took pictures of him in the window, it was fun.) We were the only customers there, so we did a lot of talking with the sole employee. By the end, he asked our names, and specifically asked what Iris's name was, and said "nice to meet you, Iris!" He didn't even have a faceup yet and he was still charming people. lol

Iris gets his hand shaken, greeted, told goodbye and goodnight on a nearly daily basis by my housemates and friends. He's like my little room guardian and everyone respects him. XD

19. I have gotten lots of enthusiasm from total strangers over the years, too many times to remember them all! Maybe it's a San Francisco thing, but a lot of people hereabouts seem to take passing weirdness in stride AND often pause to admire it aloud. But, scraping the memory-barrel, I think some of my favorites are...

-Guy in park, admiring Tan Soo Ri with his bare midriff & gold handgun: "Wow, that dude is ripped! Far out!"

-Other guy in same park, admiring Dollmore Amos in PVC fetishwear: "That guy looks like he's ready for Wednesday nights at the Glass Kat!" (Locals know: at the time, that was when/where Bondage-a-Go-Go was held ^^)

-Trio of middle-aged art ladies at the Petaluma Arts Council, admiring Iplehouse Akando: "Oooh, is he single? That's my next boyfriend, right there."

-Dear old friend Jim, admiring my Soom Vega merman: "My goodness! JUST like one of the lady-boys in Pattaya!" This is about the highest compliment you can get out of Jim, as he is a longtime aficionado of the gay beaches & katoey bars in Thailand. (And being that the Vega sculpt is used for both male & female, I complimented Jim on his perceptiveness. xD)

-At least four random girls silently gathered around my Volks Yukinojo as soon as I stood him up to try to get some solo pictures at a meetup - they eventually got up the nerve to murmur aloud, and the gist of it was "oooh, so real!". Each of them wanted to take their own picture of him, so I let them so that I could get on with it. They seemed so charmingly starstruck, which I find both cute & unusual in non-doll-people.

See, the milk of human kindness is not always a sour curdled glop.

20. I invited two of my close friends over because they wanted to see my dolls. One of them was the one who introduced me to bjds in the first place (by showing me photos of them when we were in high school). I ended up collecting them but she didn't. So to my surprise, they wanted to see ALL my dolls and admired each one and knew right away how to handle them with care without me even having to tell them not to touch their faceups. Then they wanted to see all the outfits I had for my tinies and they were so surprised by them all that they started to dress up my tinies immediately. I had such a blast watching them dress up my dolls! They treated my dolls so gently.. They were so into it, and my friend even started to take photos of them with her phone and said they were cute. And they kept asking me questions and inquiring about the dolls. They weren't creeped out in the slightest when I showed them how to change their wigs or eyes either... I was so happy. :XD: Normally some of my friends don't even like it when I mention dolls but I guess it really depends on the person!