1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

the NICEST things people do or say

Sep 2, 2009

1. That's amazing! something as simple as that can really make our day :D

I never take out my dolls so I have no experience with that but my male friends have seen some pictures of my dolls in facebook and they said they were beautiful :) they are just regular guys who know nothing about BJDs or dolls that's why it made me very happy when they complimented my dolls and didn't act childish towards them. Unlike some female friends who know nothing about dolls but they acted all immature, looking at me as if I had 2 heads just because I enjoy collecting dolls. >__>

2. I've had several! Usually while out shopping. I've had a lot of people stop me and ask about them, but one really made me laugh and I loved it!

I took Amir and Parker out one day, trying to get pix for a photo contest. Our waitress when we went to lunch was just amazed by them. She started by asking what they were and why I was an adult with dolls on my table.....at first I thought "Oh, going to be another one of THOSE critical ppl...." but I was wrong! After seeing what they were, she was actually really impressed! Then started suggesting places for pix and wanted to help me pose them against a brick wall in the restaurant. She even started arranging the plants for photo ops! LOL It made me feel good to get a stranger to go from "weird doll lady at table 3" to "OMG I want to help!!!" And of course, Amir and Parker being my little spotlight hoarders, loved it! :D

3. I had a lady give my Marc a plushie polar bear. ("receiving gifts from strangers" is my topic) XD She LOVED him!! Marc was spoiled for the rest of the day. A lot of people out here like doll collecting, but it's more porcelain and/or sculpted dolls.

I love when people get so interested and compliment my Marc. They find him the "cutest thing ever". xD I don't know how Marc feels about being called "cute" but he takes it in stride.

I haven't been out and about lately, but when I am traveling about for Halloween, Marc will be toted along! There are SO many things in his size this time of year, and I know the boutiques would love a visit from Marc and I. :D

Maybe Marc will get photos and goodies! xD

4. I went to a local fabric store with some peeps after a doll meet, and a couple of the ladies there absolutely loved her! It was my first time taking her into a store in the town where I live, so it was good that she got such a positive reception. :)

5. I had once taken one of my boys to the university with me. His clothes hadn't come in so he was dressed in my rather sloppy first attempts at doll clothing and he was wearing a really girly out of character wig that had come with him as a freebie. To my surprise a woman from our reception office was really charmed with him! xD it surely made my day~

I also brought the same doll to a performance workshop we did and everyone there liked him also even people that don't really like dolls that much. A couple of girls even wanted some extra info so I helped them out.

6. I have only taken my dolls out once (seeing as I just got them). I took my girl to the local comic book shop and the owner simply fawned over her, fair enough, the first thing he did was to undress her, but I could hardly get her back when I tried to leave as she was passed from person to person. It left me with a nice feeling :)

7. We were out doing photos in an empty shopping center near us that has very nice architecture. There was a professional photographer there with a model; he was very impressed by our dolls and very considerate, treating us like we were professionals out there, too!

8. One of my friends saw my Aria Doll Isabel blank and naked when she first arrived, and she loved it so much that she was inspired to collect dolls herself, again (She collected fashion dolls when she was younger). Previously, I had no idea she even liked dolls, because I also have friends who watched one too many horror movies as children and therefore have unfortunate associations with dolls in general. Since we were roommates, we had many opportunities to enjoy our mutual love together.

Not only did I acquire a 'dolly friend' comrade-in-arms, I found a mutual interest that brought me closer to a friend. Our constant conversations about dolls have actually made many of our friends more interested, not as obsessed as us, but they do enjoy playing with our dolls occasionally. I remember one or two lovely occasions in which a group of us just ended up hanging out, dressing up dolls, chattering about random things. It was great, and the memory always makes me so, so happy. :kitty2

9. I took my kids out for shopping XD so I went to see if Build-a-Bear clothes suited them. The employees were amused by them, mostly the girls, they ended running around the store taking clothes and bringing them or us to try, saying "this might look well on him/her" "they are so beautiful" and so on.. I felt happy, mostly because it was the first time I took them outside, and I didn't find anyone but nice people.

10. Ive never taken my girl out in public yet, Im too afraid of her getting damaged somehow.
      Plus 'Don't touch the face' doesn't seem to sink into some people apparently, lol!
      But I think the neatest thing so far was that I posted a picture of her on facebook and my mom left a Like!
      She always hated my dolls, but I guess Freya won her over! :D

11. I like these positive threads! <3
      We took our dolls to the Columbus AsianFest back in 2010. We decided to do a photoshoot in the conservatory. We moved quickly, and did everything possible to stay out of other conservatory-goer's way. Most people smiled and just let us be, but one group ( I think a man+wife, and their grandson?) seemed to be going at the same pace. The man approached us and complemented us, and introduced us to his wife. As it turned out, she loved BJDs and had never seen one in person! We could only meet her briefly, but she seemed very happy to have seen and held them. It was nice that someone was happier that they ran into us! It made me feel all warm and stuff. XD

12. MMMM positive stories!!! Enabling makes me happy. It feels like sharing the love.

13. All of these stories make me so happy. :D
      It's always a gamble taking your dolls where other people can see them, and I've gotten to know that moment of passing eye contact very well. The person is about to say something--will it be friendly or rude?
      I took my 70cm guy to an anime convention dressed as the Sebastian to my Grell (Black Butler) and we got a lot of positive comments from con-goers and civilians! The nicest and most unexpected remark was, "Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous puppet! Can I pet his hair?" (puppet, lol.)

14. I don't take mine out much, but other than the one doll-phobic co-worker I have, I've never gotten a negative remark. Though I missed DragonCon this year, I've carried one with me at all times at the past few 'Cons, and got tons of compliments, people wanting to take photos, people asking to see them or hold them, etc. Once my sister and I ended up sharing an elevator with Walter Koenig (from the original Star Trek) and he was very curious and complimentary about my Shiwoo! Elevators are a common place for comments, since you're all crammed in together and I usually put the doll up on my shoulder to keep him from being bumped or in the way.

15. I have a lot of nice things said about my dolls, but right now, the winner has to be what my big sister in California said yesterday. She posted on her facebook that she was gonna be closing down her profile for a while to take a break. A few minutes later she posted on my wall saying "It occurs to me that if I shut it down I won't be able to keep up with Iris and Bambi. Hmmmm...."

I hadn't realized my boys were all that important to her. XD We ended up talking on the phone about them, I rarely ever hear her that excited about anything.

16. This is a nice and positive thread! It's great to read about people's love for dolls &#8230;:aheartbea

Last month, we held a Steampunk festival in a small town in Germany. as my sister sew some Victorian outfits for my dolls, we wanted to make a display with some of my dolls. I was very reluctant because I was really afraid of my dolls getting stolen or damaged, but I was still curious how people who have never even heard about BJD would be reacting. I usually don't take my dolls out in public, only to photograph them, and then I rather choose a place with not so many people &#8230;
      We had about 800 visitors that weekend (not counting the actual festival guests), I was totally crowded, and there were a lot of small children. Still, nobody tried to touch the dolls. Only one accidently touched a doll's foot and apologized saying that the little shoe was so cute that she just couldn't resist &#8230;:lol:
      People were extremely interested in finding out more about ABJD, how to get them, how they are customized, where to get all the small props &#8230; I saw as many men as women stand in front of the display for ages. There were lots of questions and heartwarming conversations. A very old man looked at each character thoroughly and later told me that he used to be a marionette maker &#8230; Some people just burst out saying something like: "OMG - so beautiful!"
      I just wanted to share this experience with you. It was really fascinating to see how anyone could be intrigued by the beauty and individuality of BJDs &#8230;

17. I can happily say the person that originally had the most negativity about my hobby when I wanted to get into it at first is slowly becoming a doll person herself. She even knows my main crew by their names.

Honestly I trust her opinion above everyone elses when it comes to skintones/eyes/wigs because she's my mom. She helped me pick out Haruka's first wig and helped me sew clothes for her. Then when Kaname arrived she was there when I opened his box and aww'd at how gorgeous his face up was and the goodies his old owner sent with him. We both squeed like girls when we saw he had a yukata.

My dad actually helped me get my tiny's eyes in. He helped a lot that day with the dollieh stuff even helped me move my laptop so I could make some clothes for her.

18. I have only ever taken my little girl to work or to my friends house, but at both places she attracts a lot of positive attention.

The thing that made me the happiest though, is that I work at a store called spotlight, that is a sewing and crafts store, and to hear these ladies that have 20 or 30 years of sewing experience compliment me on the clothes I made for Aithne really makes float on air.

19. I love it when my boyfriend compliments my dolls when I have them sitting out. When I ask him about a doll I am interested in buying, he's really supportive. Just recently I told him I knew what I wanted to get him for Christmas, and he was like, "A BJD?" I would never buy him a BJD because it's just not his thing, but he was totally serious and said that there was one he did like (mainly because the face-up had scars and "battle damage"). I thought that was sweet of him that he would get a BJD if it would make me happy :)

20. The sweetest thing that's happened to my boy and I actually happened yesterday. I was in a macdonalds with a friend showing off Salem and she was busily messing up his hair when this girl came in and saw him and eventually, even though he looked a mess, asked if she could take his photo and said that she had three of her own: two Soom MDs and a Luts Bory.

With everyone always talking about how elitist owners of expensive dolls are I was so touched that someone with such beautiful and expensive dolls was still sweet enough to compliment and want to photograph my DOD Luke, even though he was a real mess.