1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pretentious Display of One's BJDs

Aug 22, 2008

1. I hope that we are simply meaning by the owner themselves. When I play as Nanashi responding to something he says all sorts of things [including in other threads outside of my own.]; but I myself compliment it. It's part of being playful in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone saying something about someone else's doll simply for malice intent. I know that there must be some that do, but it hasn't happened to me, but I can handle it if it does. Who cares right? You are the most important opinion of your doll.

2. I hope by that comment you don't think I'm accusing this community of being overly pretentious. I could just be reading your comment the wrong way. :sweat

3. lol people actually do things like this? Where have I been living. Do people actually go around joining clubs that revolve around a specific person's doll? I understand admiring someone's doll but worshipping it? I obviously don't consider my dolls to be superior to anyone else's, I post their pictures on Flickr and I'm grateful for every comment I get, I certainly don't go around rubbing them in people's faces. I can't believe that someone would set up a club for their doll, I would shun them just for being cocky!

4. I DON'T post pictures of my dolls. Mostly cause everyone and their sister owns the same doll, or they simply are tired of seeing the same mold. I got no comments whatsoever the last time I posted and felt it unworth my time. Am I stuck up over it? No, I enjoy them myself.

5. Exactly how I feel about myself! My dolls are a form of creative expression for me and I consider my photos and my dolls art. If other people don't get it and choose to ignore it...that is their choice and i have learned not to let it bother me. I like to let other people know when I appreciate their work, especially when not that many people are commenting.

I think so much gets overlooked here that is really outstanding... I use to think it was because certain dolls were not as popular as others, but it seems to go beyond that and appears that there are certain cliques or something.

6. My kids are pretty standard, I think. I'm always happy for comments (a little bit too happy, really), but I'd certainly be surprised at "fanclubs," and I'd hardly start them myself.

I don't know. Once you post in the gallery, wouldn't that immediately be considered "showing off" by your definition?

7. I love to talk about my dolls but due to the fact that my camera sucks and i don't have time for shoots, I rarely post pics. At meets, I'm usually to busy oogling other dolls to show off mine, XD
      So, I'd have to say no. Not at all.
      I have seen some though, but not IRL. I personally don't care because online, they aren't physically bombarding you. You can ignore show-offs. It's rather easy.

8. Are you a BJD Show Off?
      Nope. I'm not an attention hog in real life,and I don't post in the gallery as much. =x

What do you consider showing off in the BJD world?
      Probably depends. I haven't seen any of that yet, or I might have but just can't remember. One thing I have heard of was the 'my doll is more expensive then yours' thing. Now thats just being rude.

Is it okay to show off?
      A little, but don't over do it! No one likes show offs.

9. I'm going to agree entirely with Quilibeton this. LoL

I'm a showoff! I'll admit it. I take pride in my dolls. I think it's kind of like a proud parent. I really like my dolls, and like to show them off, but at the same time I also want to hear other people's opinions on them. That way I know if I should be spanking them or not XD (just kidding on that last bit ^^)

Something considered being a real show off would be something like "Look at all the things my doll has/look at the limited I own, don't you wish you had it, too?" Purposefully being hurtful while sharing or displaying your doll, in order to give yourself a "higher image" somewhere -- that's what I think is a real show-off.

That being said, I think there would be a difference between "showing off (IE: displaying, etc)" and "being a show-off." Esp since a lot of people say "Let me show off my new tattoo!" and the like. :lol:

10. I'm not so sure they do--at least I've never seen a fanclub for a specific doll before. Databases for various molds can be kind of club like, but not anywhere near the same sort of thing. Maybe they do exist and I've just never come across one. They sure can't be all that common though...:? (I admit I'm sort of curious now)

11. I rarely post pics here, but I don't consider it showing off to be excited about your hobby. Having gallery threads is a big part of the fandom on DoA and other places. I've seen a few pretentious people on here, but I can't say I've seen a greater percentage in Gallery. That said, there are different kinds of people in every hobby. There are bound to be some snobs in the mix here as well as all sorts of other people. Being snobbish is not defined by having a doll and showing pics of it. (:

12. i love seeing photos of other's dolls. @_@ But if they were showing off saying "Haha! I have such and such doll and you don't.!" I'd probably get annoyed. ._. I guess it also depends on the degree of showing off too. If they mention it was really rare a few times it'd be ok... but every post about the doll I might think they were overdoing it... I guess it depends on the amount/degree of bosting.

13. Well enjoy your dolls! thats about it if you want to say they are the most perfect its fine. I really really love my dolls. I don't do photoshoots very much at all its pretty rare for me but of course I think they are wonderful or they would not be here. Showing off needs people there to show off to so theres no harm in it if someone wants to do it. I hope that confidence goes into the rest of your life too :) I can understand that when someone seems to have too much it can hurt others but we all need to get on and enjoy what we have and try to just let these little thoughts and reactions go.

14. I tend to agree with this statement most hobbyist want to see your dolls and pics of your dolls... but if a person is a in your face braggert then yeah its a bit of a turn off...:|

15. Come on! Showing off your doll(s) is what this hobby is all about! Everyone loves to see pictures of everyone's dolls. How boring this forum would be if people didn't want to show off their little darlings!

And everyone of us is like a Mom or Grandmother who loves to show off pictures of their kids. It's just the nature of the beast. And I love it! (Okay, too many pictures and home movies of little Johnnie can be tiresome after a while, but with the proliferation of photos, we can either enjoy them, or just hit the "back" button and go on to the next great dolly photo. It's always your choice.)

And, this may be a little OT, but your title "The Pretentious Display of One's BJDs" sounds so negative. Would you call a person who is a painter a "show off"? Well, these dolls are also an art form and some people use their photography to paint pictures and create art with their dolls. I can't fault a person who has the talent, drive, and creative juice to really go all out to present their dolls in awesome ways. That is one of the wonderful creative options that this hobby affords us. And wanting to share that art is part of the creative process as well. Personally, I love seeing people be really creative with their dolls, and I wouldn't call that showing off or pretentious.

16. I think that it steps over the line when you go from people posting pictures of their dolls and saying essentially "Here, if you want to see, then look" and when they find ANY thread that could even POSSIBLY have a photo of their doll in it and shove one in, or a link. "Here, you wanted pictures of dolls with purple eyes? Well, my dolls eye's are gray but they kind of look purple sometimes if the planets align! And you wanted black hair in pigtails? Well, my doll's hair is dark gray and a ponytail, here's a picture!" Or it's worse when they don't hit the mark on what was requested, and post a TON of pictures. To me, that's pretty much going out of your way to say "LOOK AT MY DOLL!!!" Even when someone asks for, say, a doll in a blue shirt, one or two pictures will do. Don't post thirty, that's showing off and trying to force your dolls on others.

17. "Posting with obnoxious titles like "YOU SO WANT TO BE IN MY PANTS" in the gallery, creating fanclubs for your doll, doing anything just to get a great comment, making your doll controversial just for the sake of being controversial, or perhaps just saying your doll is the most perfect thing on earth and better than every other doll that ever existed or will exist in the future..."

That's definitely much. I see nothing wrong with showing off your dollies as long as you're not going to such lengths as the original examples stated. If you've got a beautiful doll, flaunt it! As long as you're not going overboard or being mean to anyone else in the process, then others can deal with the fact you want to show your dollie off. If they've got a problem and you're acting within reason, well, that's their deal and can frankly sod off.

18. I agree. ;)

Honestly, I haven't ever encountered anyone actually bragging and showing off in a negative way.
      I love when people show off their gorgeous dolls! Nothing like some eye candy to enjoy, and also help decide if I would like the doll. That and showing off limited dolls makes me happy to look at them all the time if I can't have my own.

Exactly! :) Obviously not a single person enjoys having something shoved in their face and be mocked about it, but I agree with all the other owners. Showing off is what this hobby is about for the most part.

19. I think where you cross the line is not when you're gushing about your dolls, but when you're debasing or otherwise attempting to devalue someone else's. I do worry sometimes about what people would think of me when they see either my signature or the full list of my dolls in my profile; yes, there are a decent number of them. I've been collecting for three years and all my money not spend on life's necessities goes into these guys. I adore them and the collector in me gets a little thrill out of acquiring someone rare or especially beautiful, but it's not with the goal of rubbing anyone's face in it.

...hell, most of the time if I post in the gallery it gets one or two responses--mostly from friends of mine being supportive--and gets buried in a deluge of more popular people with more well-known dolls. For this reason I don't tend to post in the gallery often, but admittedly I don't comment there nearly enough and it's not because other people don't own gorgeous dolls; I'm just lazy. -_-;;

I think, ultimately, everyone's going to be most infatuated with their own dolls. When you go to a meetup it's great to ooh and ahh and what everyone else has along with them, but at the end of the day you're back to your crew, whether they're omg-so-rare or have a famous person's faceup or a hundred-dollar necklace or designer outfit or not. It's human nature to want other people to value what you value so highly, and it's a bit of a conundrum because the simple fact is no one's going to find your dolls as awesomely cool as you do. Those feelings are reserved for their own dolls.

Saying you or your dolls are better because they're from a certain company/are limited to X really-small-number or only wear expensive clothing or you only shop for them on Yahoo Japan? Not so cool. I think it's lesss about being a showoff, though, and more about just being a jerk. >_>

20. I'm not a show-off. I wouldn't want to be, I kinda like the hobby being small, so I don't boast. If everyone were into them it wouldn't be the same, because inevitably people would lose respect for them.

~Chaos :daisy