1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pretentious Display of One's BJDs

Aug 22, 2008

1. I am probably in the minority, but I'm not inclined to take very many pictures of my dolls, or show them or share them with too many people. I do enjoy the gallery and sometimes save images in a folder so I can look at them again later. There really are so many gorgeous dolls, and really talented photographers in the community--such inspiration. I guess I really just don't have the patience for taking pictures and posting images, I'm more into sewing and painting faces. Only so much time, and I'm not that good of a photographer.

Those who want to post images and share should! Everyone enjoys their dolls in their own way I suppose. So, post away!

Yes, my dolls are wonderful, but I can't conceive of a best doll--there are too many. My dolls are best for me--until well, that new doll comes along that I'd just love to have.

Sometimes I think the thread titles are too much of a "Look at me, look at me" syndrome. But one can always choose to look or not. I generally browse for the dolls I prefer and just look at those anyway.

2. I do not like the stuffy raise the hope that more people can see their child at home, some people like the performance of their child at home, can be understood but not too much. Everyone has their own love interest.

3. I think it's great. People want to show off their dolls in an elitist way for the simple fact that they cost a little bit of money. For a hobby, this isn't even an expensive one. These dolls are extremely inexpensive all things considered. I just don't get it one bit if someone wants to be a showoff because of how much they cost. So that's out.

I get showing them off because they're YOURS. Because you've customized them in a completely different way. That, I get. I love seeing how a wig or a faceup can change a doll that I already have, but please, don't tell me that yours is "better" because his default has been wiped.

Like someone said, it's not showing them off, it's degrading other people's dolls in the process.

4. I wish I could be bothered to show them off :sweat No, that's wrong. I have a wonderful DSLR camera, but the software on my laptop is ancient so it takes a very long time to process the photos and then put them online. I wish I could have pictures of my dolls on my LJ and do photostories with them, but it takes up a lot of time. I enjoy doing the photostory, but I don't enjoy fiddling with the pictures at all.

5. Well there is a difference between showing off and sharing. There are some people who post alot of pics but I figure its because they have more time for the hobby then I do.

Showing off is having a specfic attitude, a nasty one IMO. If some one posted a gallery post with that title you mentioned ( so you want to be in my pants) I would not look at it and probably puke any ways.

People can draw others to them or send them running away in the other direction by the way they act or make their doll act. There are alot of new ones and youngs ones and immature ones on the boards just like in real life.

Ignore the stuff the bothers you and try to be the best person or doll that you can be. I dont post to many pictures my self because one I take awful photos and 2 I dont usually have the time to take photos but I am sure if you looked at my Lj you would see a collection of photos there and someone who is not in to dolls or may not have any would be "E-gad she is showing off all her dolls all the time." Boo-ring.

*shrug* I do love seeing pics of other peoples dolls but if they have a bad attiude I just avoid them.

6. Wow, I can't believe that anybody would consider "bringing a doll out into public" or "posting pictures of a doll online" the same thing as "pretentious display of showing off". :nowords: If you can't show off your own doll, and love all over him at a doll-meetup or in a doll-forum... then where can you do it? Should one really have to keep one's treasures hidden under a bushel, merely because it might upset some small-hearted jealous-souled stranger on the internet?

Or is that just how things work on Gaia, or wherever the kids go these days to one-up each other? Because these instances of "This is my doll and it's better than yours, neener neener!" that piss people off so much-- I don't actually SEE that happen here, on DOA. I looked, for kicks. I spot-checked the Gallery, and even the silliest thread-title turned out to be just people having non-malicious fun. It sounds like everyone's dreaming up hypothetical instances of Bad Showoffs which would be awful if they existed. Have there actually been threads that say such things, with the deliberate purpose of claiming their doll is actually better than yours? Can we have links to examples of this?

What I think would be infinitely worse, is people raining on other people's parades for 'showing off' when they weren't doing any such thing.... and making them feel bad, just to make themselves feel better... and making that doll owner so self-conscious that they never feel like showing off that doll again, so the rest of the community doesn't get to see it. OR, when people get so rained-on that they apologize for things they didn't do:

It's bad karma to apologize if you haven't done anything wrong. Your soul will get all ingrown. Did people really hassle you for starting a 'club' based on a doll they don't have? That's so sad.

I personally LOVE when people show off tons & tons of pictures of their dolls, and bring them everywhere. If it's a doll I like looking at-- especially if it's very limited-- why wouldn't I want him to be SHARED with the community? It means I get to look at more pictures of it! <3 I want there to be more showoffs, here, because then there'd be more AND better pictures of greatlooking dolls to look at.

7. I've not really come across "showing off" in this BJD community - I mean, this whole place is meant for pictures, stories and talking about your dolls, right? :sweat Even if you do think your doll is the best in the world (e.g how I feel about Effie :aheartbea) that's great! you love your doll, come show us! I do want to know :D

8. I agree with Lulalatte, Ive yet to see anyone in the BJD world that i would consider a show off. Personally i love looking at other peoples dolls and one of the things that i love about this hobby is that you CAN show off to a point, and because posting pictures, photo stories and information about your dolls is commonplace you get positive feedback for it ^_^

It always makes me happy to hear someone likes a picture Ive taken of my boys and i love telling people how great their dolls look too xx

9. I haven't run into anyone who was just showing off their dolls to rub anyone's nose in the fact that they had X mold.

Personally I'm just busy and lazy. It consumes alot of time for me to go take pictures, upload them, resize, put on Photobucket (which I now hate) and the link it all.

But I don't think anyone is post picks of their raer dolls and laughing at the por schmos who don't have one. at least not publicly.

10. I also love love love when people "show off" their dolls. My complaint is that people don't do enough of it. I love looking at doll pictures, even of dolls I don't particularly like or want. It's still fun seeing what people have done with them, how they pose or dress them, etc. My dolls all have very natural face-ups, and I would never have a tattoo or face painting on my doll, yet I love to see what other people have done with that stuff.

I also think sometimes when people say "Don't you wish you were me?" they are joking and not meaning it seriously. At least, I would never take it that way. My doll friends and I tease each other that way all the time (like, "You got a _____, I hate you!" kind of thing).

And also, on the subject of limiteds- well, I don't care if someone has TEN limiteds (or more). They aren't my cup of tea, what is enjoyable for me is doing the face-up, picking out the hair and eyes, dressing them, etc. So I never feel like "Wah, you got that limited and I don't have one." I don't want one. But still- I don't mind looking at the pictures people post of their limiteds, and I don't feel like they are showing off or whatever. Mainly I like to see that people's dolls make them happy, whether they are a limited in a fancy outfit, or a less-expensive doll in a sock dress (someone recently dissed sock dresses- well, I've seen some pretty nice sock dresses, and it does take a certain amount of creativity to even attempt to make one. So I think it is very mean-spirited to sneer at someone who has chosen that route).

11. I LOVE to take lots of photo shoots of my crew...it's my most favorite thing about these dolls! And I just love to share them all with you...it makes me very happy....:fangirl: I hope I don't come across as a pretentious show off...:roll My job lets me have lots of spare time so I get to play with my dolls quite a bit! I really do enjoy the Gallery and visit every day to look at all the wonderful dolls and all the work people put into them.....:D

All the best,

xen :)

12. I think everyone is showing of in some extent since it is that kind of artistic hobby. What I think is the more uncomfortable part of it though is when people uses their dolls in order to try getting better self-esteem. People who have to be shocking in order to feel alive rather than enjoying and sharing what they themselves considder fun and beautiful. ^_^ I think having and creating fun always is the most important thing whatever you're doing.

13. Personally, I would prefer someone to "show off" their doll rather than get annoyed with it all the time and treat it roughly because of getting annoyed, or whatever. Which does upset me to a certain extent, since the hobby is supposed to be fun and enjoyable XD

I love it when people love their dolls.

If it's a matter of an obnoxious gallery thread, then I can just ignore it, right? It's not like I'm getting the Clockwork Orange treatment over here, or anything. XD

14. Geesh, if a person can't show off their doll or their stuff, then what's the point?

I think it's bad only if they put down other dolls/people/things, but promoting yourself or your doll is your own business and for your own enjoyment and if other people have a hard time with it then that's their problem (or it can be dealt with in a nice way, but really I see no reason why someone would be upset at someone showing their dolls or items!!!).

People who are just feeling upset because they are jealous or envious or whatever just need to deal. There's always going to be someone with stuff you'll like--or stuff they REALLY love and want to talk about--or whatever. But just getting bored of someone else who loves their doll isn't something that needs fixing. Just move on!

15. When you're spending around £400 on a doll I think you got a whole lot of right to show it off!

16. I agree. You have a doll, show it off so the rest of us can enjoy looking at it. ^_~

I have, however, encountered several owners who seemingly attempted the whole 'psh, much manlier than the rest' kinnda stuff, or even played up their importance, which on the whole may make me left an eyebrow, but it hasn't been anything mind blowingly stuck up. It seems that it may be more due to the dolls character, or just for a laugh. I think it isn't anything to get over excited about. Most of the time it seemed rather oblivious since in the next post the owner was friendly and teasing in a kind way.

People 'show off' in different ways, and I haven't seen blatant rudeness. People on here tend to be very receptive and kind.

17. I don't show off my dolls........they show off themselves!!

All the people I have encounted so far just adore the smaller dolls, maybe because they tell stories with their poses and the work they do for the Cancer Society?
      They love to show off......

18. I love it when people post pictures of their dolls.

Even if they post a million pictures of their doll I would not be bother by it. It takes a long time and a lot of work to set up and take good pictures. I often take like 50-100 and just end up with 3-10 good ones. So if someone can and want to spend that much time to take pictures of their dolls then by all means show them

By looking at other's work, I can also learn how to take pictures.

I LOVE LOOKING at group pictures, so dramatic. And once again, it is TONS of work to take group pictures.

Anyway, I do not see anything wrong. Post away.

The whole reason why I join DOA is to look at owner's pictures so I can see other people's creativity and how dolls really look like (since sometimes official company pictures just do not cut it). So how can I learn if people do not post pictures of their dolls.

19. I don't know about BJDs since I dont have any yet and am still new to this but I have friends that go to Anime Cons that I cant afford to go to and it's irritating when they do the whole shove it in my face thing. They show off their incredible $800 cosplay outfit, their videos of winning in cosplay, all the toys that they got there and worst of all they make fun of every other person there who doesn't live up to their expectations. Firstly, I was always under the impression that we attend events because we share a passion for a similar thing or concept and that when you attend those things, you respect the people that so fervently love what you love. Secondly, in my case, these friends have had everything handed to them on a silver platter, which means that one day when whoever they are mooching off of, moves on, their lives are going to suck. We who have bills to pay will fight and stand for our wants, desires and longings. The fight will make us persevere. Perseverence creates character and character builds hope. -The Bible (although not word for word). It may sound cheesy but it's true. Those people that are shoving things in your face and being snobby are just doing so because otherwise they lead an unhappy life.

20. Hmmm, I never really thought of it as "showing off" per se. I just figure there are some out there who love the photography aspect as much as the dolls themselves, so we see more of their stuff. I know I'm not terribly guilty of 'showing off' because I don't post many pics, nor have I started any fanclubs for my dolls... but what a great idea! I can see it now: Sign up for the Sigunn Fanclub! Lol. No, I love her to bits, but I know she's not everyone's cuppa. Que sera

Raven