1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The relationship's over: Who gets the dolls?

Feb 20, 2010

1. I have been married 9 years, we share a house, kids, dogs, but we don't share dolls. He has his dolls, I have mine. We collect differently but what it really comes down to is all of my dolls are shells of original characters and I can't "share" that. He has purchased several of the dolls for me as gifts, but that is the same as buying me a tattoo or my lap top, they are gifts not joint possessions. I do not have a claim over his dolls either, they are his. The dolls do share some clothes, but in the unlikely event that we ever were to split I think a few items of dolly clothes would be the least of our worries.

2. *lol* Yeah, that's him in my icon. XD I plopped him down and doodled him one day.

3. I really dont know 0.0;;
      1- i dont know much guys who likes dolls
      2- if im lucky and he does, well we would each have OUR dolls. no doll would be hafly mine and hafly his Ôo

4. There are definitely a number of guys on this forum who like dolls, so it's probably not too unusual despite the fact that the majority of BJD collectors are female. I forget the exact statistics of a poll I saw here, but it was something like 10-15% of the respondents were guys.

5. There also seem to be fairly high numbers of lesbians :3 So there's a lot of potential- I know that's the case for me, and several of my BJD loving friends.

6. Very true. I don't doubt that there is a total lack of couples who both collect dolls. :)

7. I'm Mimiko's girlfriend. :XD: And yeah, we share Faust/our Sard - we've actually gone in on a few dollie purchases together, or one of us has helped the other out. . . and then we've gotten each other dolls as gifts, too. . .

So yeah, we jokingly decided that we'd have to have joint custody over him; but of course that would lead to us seeing each other all the time and we'd just wind up getting back together. So. :lol:

Seriously, though, in those kinds of situations it seems like it would be better for one partner to 'buy out' the other half or something, or even better, to make an agreement before you purchase on who would be the one doing that.

Of course, when you've been married (or even just cohabitating) for a long time, there are so many things that you just 'share' that I think the dolls would just be another thing on a long, long list of expensive or precious things you'd have to divvy up.

8. Since people have brought up gift dolls, I do have something other than "my territory is mine, RAAWRR!" to contribute. ^_^ It's somewhat OT, but close enough for government work.

Over the years, I've given friends of mine (several different friends) 7 dolls. I generally tell them that my only requirement is that they enjoy the doll, and I also explain the basics of doll care (no sunlight, avoid heat, don't drop it, faceups are delicate, etc), but I did have ONE friend and doll for whom I added a stipulation to the "gifting." I told her that if she ever decided she didn't want the doll, either because she was no longer interested or because she didn't have room or even just because she needed the money she could get by selling it, that was fine, but that she HAD to give me the option of purchasing it from her first, before anyone else, and that she couldn't just give it away to anyone other than me. ^_^;; She wasn't really a doll collector (and she still only has the one doll, although she does adore it), and it was a very pricey LE - $1300 before shipping and taxes, and there are only 20 of them in the world. In addition, it's a doll I myself also like, and would happily give a home to.

9. My husband and I both have our own dolls with characters we've made up ourselves, so if the relationship were to end we would just take our dolls. As someone else said, I think dolls would be the least of our problems. D:

10. My friend Chad was the original person owned by my Dollfie Dream, Yumiko. I bonded with her, Chad gave her to me. We were boyfriend and girlfriend at the time. We started off as friends and now we're basically best friends forever. He is thrilled I have gotten so much out of Yumiko. I also met his new girlfriend yesterday...they are so cute together that whatever remaining romantic feeling I had for him is now quite sublimated. I'm a happy camper.

11. My husband is the one supporting the household so he gets a say on which dolls I get and what the spending limit is/if it's in the budget(or when it will be), but in the case of divorce he'd have to kill me to get custody of my dolls, not to mention the kids!

:lol:

12. This is not a situation I'd like to ever get myself in to. When it comes to big things I'd rather by them myself than have to worry about splitting it with someone should things go bad. My girlfriend has dolls too, but she bought her own and I've bought my own and while we play with all of them together its clear which dolls are who's.

That said I do sort of have a joint doll with my sister atm. I helped her buy a body for the head I bought her last year for Christmas. It was a body I like and plan on getting a head for in the future. She hasn't yet decided what she wants and this one was cheap because of damage. When she does find the body she wants I will help her buy that one and do any work it needs in return for this one. Though she has talked about keeping the body for herself and buying a new head, but she would pay me back for my portion.

I'd say the best way to do it if you can't split them is figure out who paid what and whoever wants to keep the doll has to buy the other's share in it.

13. ...but I have no money (student), and she bought me my dolls ;3; I'd have to give them all up, for that to work- I couldn't find the money to pay her back.

14. Man, this is a sad thing to think about... :<

It wouldn't really matter in normal circumstances but the dolls being worth so much money I guess they're like dishes in a way. She gets half and he gets half. :huh?:

15. lol, i just aksed my husband and he says i can keep them all if he can keep all of the guitars/amps :) it's a DEAL!

16. I personally feel that gifts are given without strings attached. So if they were gifted to you then they are your dolls. Hubby has purchased dolls for me as gifts, and I have done the same for him. I would not expect to give those dolls back to him, or take away the dolls I have given him, if we were to divorce. Over the years he has put a lot of money into my tattoos as a gift (birthday, Christmas, anniversary ect) I would hope he doesn't expect to take those back if we were to split up. It sounds painful. :o Now if you purchased the dolls together as a sort of joint investment to enjoy together (some one else said like dishes, or maybe like gaming systems ect) that would be a bit of a sticky situation. You would just have to decide together what to do I guess. Hopefully you could be reasonable and come to a type of compromise.

17. pft ;3; best trade <3

18. I feel the same way - I'm happy to share my dolls, and I can see my characters interacting with someone else's doll's character, but joint ownership would be really tricky.

Carol

19. That's funny! My husband feels the same way about his bagpipes! I guess it's not going to be an issue... (of course, we've been married since before Noah launched the ark and he hasn't nabbed any dolls yet, so the bjd's are probably safe!)

20. no kidding, i could buy 20 electric guitars w/ the money i spent on my dolls ... er, luckily he doesn't know that :sweat the best marriages are built on lies and chicanery;););)