1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

The Urge to Hold...

Mar 8, 2009

1. I'm not a cuddly person. I grew up under a weird household where I was shown very little affection. They were not bad parents but very distant and the step father traveled often for business, in fact he moved to china when I was 13-18 and after that they divorced and I've seen him maybe 2-3 times since that (may makes 10 years since then). My mother, I think has some depression issues or something, I have very very few memories of my mother ever being a loving mother and wanting to do anything with me. She literally sits on the couch all day and doesnt do anything. At all... ever. I was also an only child and removed away from extended family (grandparents/uncles/aunts/cousins) and taken from california to PA (clear across the country) when I was about 3 and a half... I've gotten better as I've grown older. But I grew with several dysfunctions, among one of which that causes me difficulty being touched or touching others (even my own family).

Maybe that is why I do not cuddle my dolls. I love playing with them and taking them with me to interesting places, especially out in nature. But I never really just sit around the house holding them. Nor do I think of holding them when I'm at work. I do think about playing with them or looking at them though. Sometimes I can't wait to get home to play with them but the desire to simply "hold" them isn't as strong with me as some others.

2. I like bringing Jinx along to the roleplays that my boyfriend hosts. She is made after a character from that roleplay. Whenever I talk in character during the roleplays, it's nice to have Jinx in my lap. A lot of my friends also love holding her for some reason. Even my boyfriend holds her from time to time. I also love watching movies and surfing the web with Jinx. She makes great company.

3. I do have a dog as well as my dolls. As for kids, I'm not a very maternal person, and have never really wanted children. However, I do think it is partly human nature to want some kind of physical contact. BJDs come in sizes that are very comfortable to hold, and because they are strung with elastic they automatically move with you and fall into positions that are good for holding.

4. Sometimes when I get in one of my moods I like to hold my dolls, but I've been trying not to do that over the winter, since their paint is coming off and it isn't warm enough to open my windows and just re-do it, yet. More than holding, though, I just want to have them in sight. If I'm at my desk, I like to have them sitting on the small table next to it. When I'm sewing something for them on the couch, I have my model sitting next to me on the couch. That habit bugs my mom to no end, though, since I don't think she likes them much. Right now I've got them on a pile of their fabric scraps next to my bed, until I have to start packing things up.

It could just be a desire for human contact, though. Maybe not maternal feelings, since I hate actual children, but I've been pretty much stuck at home for almost a year, job-searching, so I don't get much human contact. That might also be the same reason I want a small yet cuddly pet, too.

5. Sometimes if I've been away from them for a while. Eiji is the worst. He's always beside me on the couch, and I sit him on the pillows beside me when I sleep. If he's not there and someone mentions him, or I see a photo, or just think about him... I crack an "Awwww, Eijiiiiii ;^;" fit and start missing him. I do miss my dolls when they're not around, and I always get the urge to pick them up and gawp when that happens.

But other than that, as said, Eiji's usually close by XD

6. just reading to 1st post made me pick up and hold a dollie ;o;

I do often miss them.. and love to randomly cuddle them XD

7. I have Quinn on my lap right now, he's been with me since I got home from college and he sleeps almost in my bed (he'd be there in with me if I wasn't scared to ruin him).

I'm not as maternal to my pet as I am to Quinn, though the rat does like to bite wires and fingers which could be why.

8. I don't get the urge to have them with me when I talk about them, but the urge does creep upon me at other times. I (stupidly) decided to leave my dolls at home this year instead of bringing them back to uni with me.

Now whenever I look at fabric or do a certain project (I'm studying fashion design) I think of them and how I'd like to have them here so that I could make them something or just take pics of them. (there are a lot of places around here that are good for pics).

Fortunately I'll be able to give into my urges in two weeks.:)

9. I don't get to see my poor, neglected boy in another 3 & a half months...
      I'm really sad after reading this post and realizing how much I miss just having him on my shelf to look at. ):

10. I'm the same. I work in a petrol station and I'd be devastated if some fuel got on to my doll. It would soak right into the resin and degrade it.

I brought one doll to work with me once, just because I was going to visit my boyfriend after work and I wanted to show him my new doll! Rupert stayed in his carry bag the whole time because I was so nervous that he'd get destroyed!

Melangell is my comfort doll, she's the one I grab when I'm feeling down, my Puki is my fun doll, if I'm feeling down I can pose her in cartwheels and things, but I can't cuddle a Puki because they're too tiny!

11. Sometimes, when I'm bored, we cuddle. XD

12. I always have the urge to hold mine. Though 90% of time, I don't hold them until I'm in the privacy of my room or when nobody's home. Just because I'm fairly self concious. Being in my late twenties, I feel like family would look at me for being entirely weird for holding a doll like a kid. XD

But then again, my mom does psychic readings and my dad believes the aliens are going to abduct him at any moment. My brother who lives with us right now is always drunk. Not exactly what most people consider "normal" to begin with. So... I suppose I can hug some resin without looking TOO out of place.

13. Hugging dolly-ness is a natural response to me. My husband is a bit of a "gore hound" and it's nice to just sigh, grab a doll, and wander off to my room.
      I am always careful to put them away in the end, so my cats don't get them...
      Then again, the one time I forgot, I walked in to find my little cat curled up, head on my Robin's lap very sweetly. Since she's a short-hair, I'm not too worried about shedding on the dress, so I was able to just enjoy it with a cute "awe".

14. Cuddle? I want to when I'm very upset, but the only one I want to cuddle would be Satori. But, he's a floating head...Other than that, not really. The majority of my dolls are limited and I'm so worried I might hurt them if I cuddled them... ^^"

15. I think about cuddling them during my classes. Sucks when the teacher calls on me. XP

Teacher: "And the answer is . . . what Miss?"
      Me: "18mm eyes-- new face up what?"

16. ^^;; I had the urge to hold him (and currently is doing so) as I was reading this.

At this point most of my life revolves around the computer (the digital painting thing) and almost always my boy is sitting beside me on the computer table. I only have room for him so that may present a problem when I end up with more.

But for now where I go, my boy usually does as well. :)

17. I often feel that way too. ^_^ Whenever I talk about them with other people I want to stroke their hair or just have them sitting on my lap and the same goes for when I'm watching movies. I often miss them when I'm at school; the cold resin turkey strikes without mercy! I have in mind to bring home a little tiny that fit in my bag och pocket so that I can have some company where ever I go. :3 <3

18. I have the urge to cuddle my Keisai constantly. Especially when I'm just watching TV- my brother gets all freaked out 'cuz I position him to watch the screen, too. Or to stare at my brother, just for kicks. XDD

I'm waiting on my first 60cm, and I know it'll be even worse with him. XD I already have plans and have notified all my friends that I'll be taking him pretty much everywhere, and I'm already saving for a nice carrying case. First stop- Disneyland!! XDD

19. It's funny, I never got the urge to hold until I got my tiny and my 60cm... do you guys think it's because you like the dolls more or just because those sizes are better or what? I had two MSDs before him and I never felt like I had to carry them around...

20. Cuddle my dolls? Yes, wish to every day, though working hard now to make $.

"Chase," my dog, a Whippet, sleeps in my bed, cuddles, and loves to be hugged and talked to. Interestingly, Chase isn't jealous of the BJD's when they started arriving. He licked each one on the cheek when I took the doll out of the box. As if to say: "Hello, and welcome to our 'pack.'" Chase is tolerant of the dolls being on the bed as long as they don't invade his personal space under the covers, or are placed on top of him. I make sure the dolls stay "top side" and on a clean towel when I am styling wigs, trying on clothing, etc., on the bed.

Years ago, when my dogs were my only cuddle, no BJD's, I saw an old Victorian drawing in a magazine showing a little girl. The little girl was sitting in her bed, with her dolls, lined up along the wall and sitting on the bed facing the girl. The girl was smiling and seemingly talking to the dolls. I loved this image, and I kept it with me ever since.

Now, when I feel I need a hug, a cuddle, love giving attention to others, now I can do this within my bedroom. Sometimes I play my CD's on my player, deciding which background/theme music might suit each doll and my mood at the time. It can all make a nice warm ending to a hard day.