1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Themes You Like

Aug 12, 2010

1. I would love to see Celtic/Norse mythology dolls!! With hopefully just a little bit of historical accuracy. :P Other themes I'd love to see are Medieval, Renaissance, LotR-like elves and clothing, and more dark fairy type stuff.

2. No more Alice, companies. Please. It's been overdone in more places than just BJDs, and I'm speaking as a fan of the original books *sigh*.

On a less complainy note, sci fi releases like recent ones from LUTS and Crobi (retro anime space opera-style, FTW!) seem to be grabbing my attention the most. I'd like to see some traditional clothes and/or mythological characters from a wider variety of cultures, as others have said. Even for common themes like angels/demons, vampires, and fantasy, there's still room for more variety than we've seen so far, I think.

3. Nagas? Holy Scheisse YES. It might take some crafty engineering to perfect the serpentine half of the body, but if it ever does happen, I would never be able to resist. Gargoyles would be fantastic too.

Also, I would be delighted to see some more military-themed dolls. And I don't mean the extravagant, "gothic" uniforms with a rather impractical number of chains and zippers, matched with platform boots and a bullwhip (though those can have their own outrageously fetishized charm, haha XD). I have in mind more realistically styled uniforms, historically or contemporarily based, not necessarily replicating those of any particular nation but perhaps drawing inspiration from a number of different countries. And really, it might not be a bad opportunity for a bit of extra "advertising" for the company, too; imagine if they styled little insignias, medals and other military decorations that incorporated the company's logo/initials! ;) I mean, we've already got an El Army on DoA anyway, why not grant them an Order of Luts, First Class?

Ah, and sports-themed dolls - tennis uniforms, soccer/football jerseys, snowboarding gear, even lovely figure-skating outfits, you name it - could be loads of fun. Again, the advertising potential. No one wants a company logo embroidered too visibly onto a pretty lolita dress or an antiestablishment punk outfit, but in the world of BJD sports - hey, teams and athletes can have "sponsors," can't they? 8D

4. Im with JennyNemesis, I would love to see a Commedia Dell'Arte theme, and/or a Masquerade Theme. Im a total mask freak, and would love to see elaborate masks and costumes for my crew. (Masque of the Red Death sort of thing.)

I'd also love to see a more traditional Circus theme, ala Barnum & Bailey, with some classic clown costumes.

And, I know vampires have been done ad nauseam, but I still love them! I can't get enough vampires or werewolves! :doh

5. I second the military outfit theme based on more realistic (practical) uniforms and their
      matching non-platform boots (in synthetic materials, I’m a vegan!). The only issue for me
      would be that most bjds (even now) have giant heads, which make them look “weird” (to me they do!)
      with any type of hat on – Chicline dolls are probably just about the only current BJDs that
      don’t look bobble-headed with hats on.

I would also like to see Japanese cyberpunk themes with “high-tech” accessories
      (I mean cyberpunk like high-tech anime type stuff; GITS, BAA, Apple Seed, Eureka 7, etc.
      no ravers/western-ish type cyber stuff).

- Enzyme ^ ^

6. I have to agree with you on the Celtic and Medieval theme. I would really enjoy having a doll set and accessories in this theme.

I also like the dark faerie theme and gypsy theme that others mentioned earlier too.

7. I like the Celtic theme. I've seen some absolutly beautiful celtic dolls!

I love circus or Commedia dell'arte stuff. I've seen a few Arlecchinos around. I eventually plan to give my girl that theme... That was my plan from the beginning. It's the theatre major in me!

I've also seen some fabulous vagabond/pirate dolls (lets face it, they can be interchangeable at times as far as looks go.) I love them!

8. Id love the se celtic and norse dolls. And more historical footwear, simple un decorated footwear (Id really like to do the decor my self)

I would allso like more fantasy theme's, maybe not all fullset dolls but more items....like assassin, knight, wizard, druid, fighter (just think D&D)

9. Oh my lord! Those are amazing! thank you so much, I haven't seen that site until now. And that raccoon boy IS adorable...though I don't like the foot paws much....but I don't think he seems to come with those. Ears, hands, and tail are ADORABLE. You just placed something on my list. <3 Thank you.

Cyberpunk is another I was thinking of mentioning. I like the idea of giving them a mini LED light eyepiece. It would be precious.

The Undead suggestion sounds cool to. A banshee would be a must to a collection. x3

And yes, military from around the world. Real uniforms. Like, I'm in love with the new Navy Aquaflauge: http://www.neptunuslex.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/nwu.jpg (I think it would be cute on a doll)

10. Yes, way too much alice in wonderland.... I dont know why its so popular but it seems every company has done it at least a few times. I love the mythology theme like a lot of you, go angelheim medusa XD I love story themes regularly, id love to see some arabian knights kinda themes going on, and I love the anthro crazy transformations and doll creepy circuses too :)

11. Hmm. I do like the fairy/elves type theme. I am a bit of a horror fan too so the vamp thing is pretty cool. I can't really think of anything else though that would tempt me to buy.

12. I would love if they did a ninja theme! I love fairytale like themes but there are many elves and other dolls that fit this theme. I have only seen 2 ninja dolls and I thought they were really cool and would love to see more!

13. Hmmm... I'd like to see some Indian-themed released (as in, from India, not Native American). I don't know why, but I just think that would be cool. It doesn't even have to be in a mythology/folktale vein, either.

That being said, most mythological/folktale things are "yes please" for me. In certain areas. I'd like to see some not-quite-as-well-known things done in this category. Or Norse gods. Or maybe just some stuff based on Wagner's Ring Cycle (not accurate to the gods themselves, but still so entetaining).

Hey, there's a though! Classic opera BJDs! I'd buy that!

14. I'd like to see more realistic, accurate Victorian styled clothing for youngsters, NOT Lolita, but Victorian. There's very little Victorian as is, but even less for younger looking dolls. Also I'd like to see some American 50s style clothes, the 50s had such an interesting type of fashion. The outfits little girls wore were always so cute.

15. AiW is just a wonderful theme for dolls PERIOD. The style lends itself wonderfully to dolls, and it allows for a lot of room for change... IE you could make a Gothic Lolita, Steam Punk, Modern, Victorian, etc AiW set and it would still have the AiW feel, which I totally love.

Personally the themes I like range from Vis. Kei to Fantasy and lots in between. Some of my dolls are gothic lolitas (Malish), some are vampiric demon summoners (Avidan), others are ... um. Sharks. Hi Axel. (Axel: ... Hi.). I like the idea of all my dolls fitting somehow into the same world (of a modern fantasy design), though I would totally have a set of this-or-that, if I could have more than 2 or 3 in the same theme. :)

I would LIKE to see more interesting fantasy creatures... I'm waiting for a naga patiently... I would like to see stuff more Del Toro in theme, too. He makes some very neat creatures. Also, I'm a total nerd, but I would die if they came out with batman themed stuff haha. I dunno. Most of what I like is moddable though, or sewable. :3

16. You completely hit the nail on the head with that one. I've never personally been a big fan of the AiW story, but I do love the visuals from it since, as you say, they can be SO varied and they needn't be so limiting if one doesn't want them to be. Also considering how many characters there are to draw on besides from Alice, the White Rabbit and Queen...there's the Caterpillar, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, let's not forget a huge multitude of the actual book characters that one could interpret.

However, to answer the actual question, some themes I would love to see are more ethnic inspired pieces OUTSIDE of Japanese or the occasional Chinese garment. I'm not a big Japan fan myself and none of my dolls' characters are Japenese. Rather, garments drawing off of Indian, German, Russian, French, Native American, Mexican and Italian influences would be an absolute dream.

I would also like to see more accurate lolita pieces, not this cosplayish stuff that's everywhere, and more specifically, boystyle lolita. This style of clothing is not supposed to look like a costume if it's done right. Maybe not true Victorian wear (which I would also love to see more of), but not all of it is complete over the top frills and lace either. The devil is in the details.

I also would love more robotics/sci-fi themes parts. I know there's a few things floating about out there, a couple mechanical arms and such, but there's so much more that can be done! On that same note, I'd also like to see more steampunk items that actually look like real machines (I'm not picky about which era my robots come from ;) ) and such as opposed to copper painted doodads with random gears glued on. Yes, just as with lolita there's 'too much of this stuff around'. I just wish there was more of this stuff around that was done well.

Other themes:

Circus. I can't get enough of it. Creepy, haunted, goth circus-cutesy bubble gum sweet circus. Any and all, I'm totally there.

Angel Wings. Perferably in resin. I'm aware there are a small handful of these floating about already, but I know there's room for more.

Royalty. Okay, admittedly I just want to say crowns but that'smore of an accessory than it is a them so I cheated. Just as with the ethnic wear there are SO many types of crowns to choose from, it would be a blessing to see some designs that didn't look strictly like it came from some fantasyland England.

Animal Parts. I know for some the theme of hooves/cat ears/paws has been completely done to death. But what about all the other animals that exist that still need some proper ears or feets or tails? My poor little Ox GrimBeast will never get his proper cow ears since I guess cows aren't cute enough to make ears for (how this can be? Darned if I know). Likewise my Mouse Grimbeast probably won't ever recieve a totally awesome resin and articulated tail since who wants a gross mouse tail when they could have a fluffy cat one?

17. .... I want to say uniforms but i'm sure most people's minds just leapt to the military (Which has had some wonderful uniforms through the ages) so i guess.... job clothes? Like a set of nurse's scrubs or mechanic's coveralls or things along those lines. and I mean realistic styled ones, not something out of the playboy halloween catalog.

Outer space themed stuff. Astro (or kosmo) naut spacesuit, Roswell Gray dolls, etc etc.

Horror stuff that aren't related to Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies or other overused monsters. I want a bean-sidhe doll or a sleep-paralysis hag/ghost/demon (depending on your culture)

18. I like anything fairytale or fanatsy. But I'll consider buying something if it's vampire, baroque or victorian themed. :)

19. game themes....warrior~demon! steampunk and gothic will be nice too!

20. I love bohemian/artist/writer themes. The down and out consumption ridden artist in an attic somewhere in Montmartre. Also esoteric themes a la Blavatsky/Crowley/societies. My dolls are bohemian theosophists. :lol: I also love Belle Epoque.