1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Themes You Like

Aug 12, 2010

1. I would loooove some decent fairytale themes, but using MSD/SD sized (with more mature faces too) rather than tinies and more like Angela Carter's gorgeous, risque fairytales than typical cutesy vomit inducing guff. Marina Bychkova, who makes Enchanted Dolls, does stunning fairytale dolls so I would like to see more bjd companies taking her lead and straying from the well trodden path. Also, I think notorious but mysterious figures from history, like Elizabeth Bathory and Vlad Dracula (using the legends rather than modern "revised" history) would make fascinating dolls. All in all I prefer darker, more adult stuff so anything that follows that road would suit me just fine (but please, no more bloody vampires!).

2. I agree that the vampire and Alice themes have both been done to the saturation point. I'd like to see companies venture into many other areas, but my favorites would be angel/demon and just about anything historical. I think the Rococco/Marie Antoinette thing has just about reached the saturation point too, but I'd adore seeing ancient Greece/Rome/Egypt, medieval/celtic, renaissance, Victorian, Georgian, Edwardian, etc.

3. I like the girly punk look. I've done it to my one doll without even realizing it and I looked at her one day and went "it works so well!"

4. There are lots of different interesting themes and styles - steampunk, "Alice...", mythology, 20s-60s... The only problem - we get used to them very quickly, so they become boring for us and stop amazing us. So, I suppose, any theme is great as long as it is fresh)

5. I would love to see Mermaids with resin tales. (Im Mermaid Obsessed, but very picky. It's something so beautiful but something easily to be screwed up).
      I agree with the steampunk styled things. Not just the colors but the whole outfits that are very sci-fi inspired and victorian inspired as well. I'd love to get a little mechanical tank pack for a back of a bjd that would be able to have colored water in it that would bubble.
      Maybe a Mad scientist theme?
      I'd really love to see themes that were inspired by graceful designs and not such cute - im not sure what theme would be put to it though.
      Maybe Alphonse Mucha or Pre-Raphaelite dolls. Since im on a history theme kicked I would love to so Baroque or Rococo themed dolls. The huge wigs, the lovely dresses. the tiny shoes that are dainty with the flowers on them. Ah how lovely would it be to be able to recreate the paintings with BJD's I can just imagine one a swing and the other pushing it.

6. I would love to see more fairies, steampunk and angel themes would be awesome too.

7. I like supernatural beings. Like Hindu gods, and Native American gods. I won't ever tire of vampires, but there's rarely one as nice as Soom Gluino. Any ethnic themed clothing, and dark fantasy works for me.

8. I like to see different ethnic costumes, especially Asian, but others too! I also love fairy tales, but not just the ones you usually hear, I like to read them from all different countries, most of my favorites are Russian. So I like to dress my dolls like that too :D

9. I would love to see some angel/fallen angel, dark fairytale, and mythology/folklore themes.

10. Nagas/Lamias! I'd LOOOOOVE to see some snake-from-the-waist-down BJDs with gorgeous jointed resin snaketails. I appreciate poseability would probably be pretty limited, but UNF, they'd look gorgeous.

Also, DINOSAURS! I'd sell my soul if Soom brought out a boy or girl along the lines of Euclase, but with RAPTOR FEET. <333

11. My biggest weakness in terms of theme is boarding school. I love seeing school uniforms in all of their variations, but particularly when they're old-fashioned, feminine, or modest.

I also adore dolls with a ballet theme! Stage costumes, practice outfits, and pointé shoes make me think of romantic beauty, not the hard work that actually goes into dancing. Dolls have such beautiful sculpts that they often look dazzling in ballet attire.

Oh, I definitely agree with this! Victorian historical outfits or 50s-style dresses for little girls would be so sweet! &#9829;

12. I want a Sphinx doll! Like a anthro female, or the Egyptian gods and goddesses as dolls! Like Bastet and Anubis!

I also want a "Winged Victory of Samothrace" doll, but she'd be just a body with wings. (Which I'll be working on in the future, I might add a head if I can find a proper looking sculpt for Nike!)

Ooooo and more urban street style clothes! Like the American gangster style!

13. Wow, lots of great ideas here! I have to go along with many of them...

Historical-- can be mixed with fictional characters, as people have said, like Sherlock Holmes--or even an alternate version of detectives and Victorian-ish ladies and detectives and street urchins, Dickensian figures. And I wouldn't mind some bending towards fantasy with Steampunk. And more Roccoco/Marie Antoinette--can be strictly historical or mixed with fairy tales (Beauty and the Beast, Twelve Dancing Princesses ala Kay Neilsen illustrations). Renaissance clothing based on characters from Shakespeare's Plays or Faerie Queen Courts. Medieval and earlier--from Legends of King Arthur or Norse Legends or Robin Hood.

Ethnic and other Cultures and Folk Costumes--as others have mentioned, there is a great deal of wonderful stories and fashions to be found in various cultures from around the world. They can have a fantasy element using characters from Folk Tales, to make things more interesting. Or something entirely new created by the designers. Some companies have been drawing from different cultures, but I think there's a lot more that can be done with it.

Occupations have also been suggested-- circus folk have been done, but are still popular and can be done differently with new twists... Modernistic like Cirque du Soleil or Historical. Artists, constructions workers, military, engineers, cowboys... The Village People re-worked or re-set in time or in different cultures... lots of fun could be had there!

Fantasy, Fairy Tale, Mythology, Legend, Creatures...--There's been a lot done in this trend, but I think a lot more is here to be explored! Even with all the elf-eared dolls that have been made, there's still directions to go--more Lord of the Rings or more Fairyland, Or Norse. More Fey or more Seelie and Unseelie Court. There's all the Fairy Tales. They have been used for costume inspiration at times, but usually only the obvious, like Red Riding Hood, and mostly for cute little girl fashions. And more historical and ethnic aspects haven't been gone into a lot. Or modern stuff, like Dungeons and Dragons and various Game themes and styles. And the various creatures have been a trend, but mostly the obvious--hooves and horns (can never be too much of that) but there's much more...

Pop culture--talk about trends! This has always had an effect on BJDs, with anime and jpop and fruits and lollis and goth... but there's always more to draw from and different directions to go with this that can make things more fun and unique and exciting... Music and movies and fashion... It can be a huge source of inspiration.

The main thing is for companies to have a good balance between what buyers like and coming up with unique visions and designs. They need to be ahead of trends and not behind--or at least--take trends and be inspired to make something new and unique. Doing something just because it seems to be popular is OK, but never as exciting as exploring something new and different that is taking existing ideas in a new and interesting direction!

14. No more vampires, no more Alice, no more semi-loli, no more goth/punk, and no more quasi-renny generic fantasy. For goodness sake no more Lace, Useless straps, buckles or bows! Let's get exciting!

Here's some ideas- Russian fairytales? Mongolian historic costume? How about Thai dance outfits? Pulp fiction space opera themes? Historic military uniforms? Roman ensembles? Wagnerian opera costumes? Post apocalyptic? French Provincial from the 1700s? Moorish Spain? Italian Renaissance, done right? Babylonian! Aztec and Mayan fantasy? Romanian embroidered blouses and etc? Edwardian american (like as seen in Hello Dolly?) Nordic legends?

15. Amen! :mwahaha

Liberties? Poo. They're just subtly marketed as Hot Beefcake Pinups. ;) We see right through that, and know they're destined for Hot Naked Piles of Male Resin.

I was going to say I'd like to see them be a little less subtle. heh Iple and Blue Fairy did it for their girls, why not the guys too?

"Hot Crossed Bunz! Get 'em while they're Hawt!"

16. Yeah, what she said!!!

17. I would like to see more mechanical body parts like Ringdoll's mechanical arm.

Also solid wings, whether they be feathered or dragon-like would be amazing! And more horns and tails (huge dragon tails or something).

18. I like alice in wonderland, but it is overdone. Never into vampires so...

I think more steampunk is needed, but less high Victorian and more wild west, steampunk cowboys ftw. Brown coats anyone?

And... I really want a naga doll >_> which is weird cause I'm really not into fantasy like that, but the idea of a doll with a long complicated tail made out of dozens of pieces all smoothing together just sounds so beautiful and exotic. I'd get a tan doll with a white tail in a heart beat <3 I've considered making my own, even though I know that'd be far too much work for me right now.

19. I would like to see more zombie themed dolls like the ones at Glory doll. I find the pale purple skin and scars pretty unique !

Maybe some more masquerade / carnival themed ones ? I don't see many of those but I find the clothes and masks pretty creative ^^

20. I would like to see a somewhat victorian theme...