1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread* - pt.2

Jul 13, 2017

1. I’m adding female bodies with exaggerated curves in their backs. I call it “duck shape”. I know there are women with extreme curves, but with BJDs it seems so common. That and the massive hips compared to upper body. No real reason for hating this, it’s just a personal peeve as I don’t like the look.

2. My pet peeve is the general lack of strong noses on sculpts! Ski slope noses aren't the only type of noses that exist :(

3. Oh! Noses are a big pet peeve of mine too. For me it's mostly noses that are pretty much non existent or noses that sit to high on the face. I just can't like sculpts like that.

4. I hear this regarding the hashtags, it makes me really want to make a cut/paste reference doc and stick to the same hashtags which may be a good or very bad thing, not sure...

3. I am guilty of this sometimes and it is due to my impulsiveness and excitement causing me to skim. Not a good excuse and I'm trying to be better about it because I can see how it would be quite annoying!

I am glad to just skim over the style 'copying' posts because anyone can be influenced by a style and so much influence is taken from human stylings or fictional depictions (often with stereotypical characters, formulaic storylines, age old archetypes, common tropes or situations) or influenced by things in the media...that to assume someone was overly influenced by your particular doll (or story) is usually a bit unrealistic. *edit for an additional ranting*...the confession blogs...or more accurately, all the poison spewed on them...for the most part they are in no way truly self-confessional in nature, and very rarely even a meaningful way to object to (or comment on) general hot-button topics in the hobby, it's just become a petty method to bitch about other people, like an internet bathroom wall to scribble on. Bleh.

My own current personal ranty-pants peeve? Synthetic doll wigs. They so often just don't lay right, the wefts are too big, the hairs are too large, the way they are sewn makes them cause the doll to look like a puffy bubble-head, yes, even my Unoa pinheads! I'm really giving a hard side eye to most size 6 wigs I can currently find! It makes me itch to start giving them smoothing treatments or start pouring boiling water over the lot of them I own. Frankenwigs.
      Rawr! :roar

#324 mimimontoya, Jul 21, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    5. This is called lordosis of the spine. It's a serious spinal problem and it really aches and can wreck your knees, ankles, back, neck and hips. I am dealing with trying to correct it myself right now and it is NOT something I want to see in my dolls.

6. A lot of more recent fashion dolls are bad about this, too (for those of us who don't like the extreme swayback look). I've often wondered if it's an attempt to create curves on the doll while still keeping them looking thin. Maybe it's meant to correct for the bulk of their clothing, or something, but it makes my back hurt to look at it.

7. Yes, I read up on it. It’s not really something to see as beautiful anymore than scoliosis.

8. omg the noses that are too high... YES! Also, too few acqualine noses like Glorydoll Lucy's etc. TO have such nose i'd have to buy a big 70cm boy... but I'm just not into them :C

9. Speaking of noses, it annoys me that some companies make all their male sculpts too similar to their female ones, only with longer noses, as if a long nose is a male-exclusive trait.

10. As the proud owner of a nose that looks like a good-sized wedge instead of a cute lil button, I'm feeling all these nasal complaints. Especially as someone who collects minis, I feel like more diversity of nose shape and facial features in general would be great for that size range. If I ever wanted to do a mini-me doll, I'd have to hybrid a boy head onto a girl body, and even then the nose would probably still be too dainty.

And yeah, @LilaAIP , noses get weirdly gendered and it bothers me sometimes, right along with eye size. That's not how human sexual dimorphism works! (Not that humans even *have* much dimorphism compared to a lot of animals, but that's a whole 'nother grumbling-about-narrow-beauty-ideals thing...)

11. on real people it's fine, it's a human thing that happens, and all that really matters then is their own opinion on it. On dolls? It's obnoxious to me because I know how much it HURTS and how screwed up it makes your joints, and that artists only do it because Male Gaze says that for a woman to be sexy to men, her hips should tilt forward like she's in heels, but all the time, so her spine stays arched and her butt sticks out.

12. Those doll fam group shots where they’re all sat in that same pose with the upper body bent too far back so the camera is angled right up their nostrils, wigs askew, clothes messy & weirdly positioned eyes.

Also everyone is looking at different parts of the ceiling and the doll on the far right is half falling off the bed/table.

Also yosd clothes that aren’t made for a 3 y/o minion fan/renaissance infant lace explosion. And why do all the outfits only ever come with shorts/bloomers?

13. I guess I’m lucky I only collect boy dolls, so it’s not as much of an issue. But certainly when I search for a girl doll occasionally, it’s an issue.

14. This so much! I personally have quite a french/Jewish nose that I actually quite like and I love other bigger nose vorms to. I know most doll company's do this because they want super feminine sculpts but I think there are quite some lady's with bigger noses in different shapes that still look ladylike, their noses give them more character (not that small nosed doesn't but well there already so much nice small nosed sculpts). This was extra frustrating while looking for lookalike doll for myself. Lots of doll have my head vorm and eyes but all itty-bitty sniffers.
      On the other hand finding a masculine doll with a smaller nose is also pretty hard sometimes.

Other pet peeves atm are:
      Returning from an hiatus and finding out some beautiful dolls had been produced by one of my fav. company but of course they were limiteds (did manage to just find a Junia spider secondhand but thats just luck).
      Waiting for the right weather conditions to use MSc and having time to actually use it on those days before the weather changes drastically again.

15. ^so much this!
      I've probably spent the past week managing to do one layer on a few of my dolls thanks to unusual humidity spikes and my free time not coinciding with the weather.

16. The fact that I have to remember that the prices will always be in USD and that I have to pay more in canadian dollars because of the exchange rate.
      Pains me so badly. :...(

17. Seeing dolls that have a boss-eyed/crosseyed look.It's a simple correction: cover one eye with your hand and adjust the other one to focus on you, then switch to cover the other eye.

And also in the topic of eyes, one of my guys had to have his eyes painted on his face, so it took me forever to paint eyes that weren't askew. So yeah add "dolls you need to paint the eyes on" to a pet peeve.

18. A big peeve is to see someone stating that others’ dolls isn’t as good as theirs and all. I know this doesn’t happen often but I have seen some people around who are just so proud of what they did with their doll that they think others who own the same model are just lame and unoriginal. I get that you think your doll is cool and unique and all, everyone wants their doll to be that way, but saying that you are the best of them all is just too much for me.

19. When people poke fun at a beginner's first attempt at a face-up or a sewing project. That's just mean. Let people be b ginners.

Also when people talk about digitgrade dolls but they don't understand the leg anatomy. No, those aren't "backwards knees", those are the ankles.

20. Seam lines and charging people to remove them. It’s really a quality issue that should be corrected before it’s even considered a finished product that costs as much as these do.