1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread* - pt.2

Jul 13, 2017

1. seem lines are NOT a defect. They are a normal part of the doll and some companies won't sand as it alter's the color of the resin of some companies dolls. This is also NOT a defect. Anything plastic and molded will have them. Some can be sanded with no alteration to the color of the resin. It depends partly on the color and if it is top layer of throughout. Most companies state outright that the seem lines are an acceptable part of the doll. This is why they will only remove extreme excess for no cost and charge for more work that may alter the dolls appearance 'at the buyers request'. It's like doing a modification that costs them time so therefore money.

2. I get what you’re saying and I agree they aren’t defects as that’s part of the molding process and happen every time you mold something. But with the cost of these dolls you would think they’d clean them up to where we don’t have to pay extra for a more finished product. I don’t see it as a modification. I see it as finishing the job.

3. but what you call 'finishing' for many dolls would damage the aesthetic by causing color strips lighter than the rest of the doll. Which is something they cannot fix. I've seen what over zealous sanding in an effort to remove all trace of seams looks like... and they got replacement dolls but with little to no sanding. At most what sanding should be done should be to smooth a sharp seem but the risk is to high.. and unlike many 'plastic' related things... you can't REUSE resin once you have made your doll. Which is one more reason they cost so much... they are not made of recyclable material that when broke ... or in this case, over sanded, can be tossed into a smelter to make more parts. This is why they leave that up to the owner to do at their risk. It's like the old
      you break you pay
      I break (as seller) I cry.

the extra time and caution needed to sand so they don't ruin something and risk a $ loss is why they charge. it's something that is more than they should need to spend time on.

4. The fact it isn't industry standard to display the photos of the blank sculpt from multiple angles along with including at least one photo of the blank face on the default nude/blank body they are selling with it. Same goes with companies not listing the sculpt's measurements or providing easy links to see the body that comes along with the head. I can't count how many times I've had to use this site to find measurements because I couldn't easily locate them on the actual company site.

On this same vein, I greatly look down on companies that have lists of things they consider acceptable like seem lines, and resin defects, but they never actually show any of this in the photos of the products they are selling. If seems are standard for your company, than there better at least have one or two photos picturing them instead of hiding them behind carefully angled photos like they don't exist. I rather a company want me to buy their product because I want it, not because they have managed to trick me into a purchase with glamour shots that aren't a good representation of the actual product I am getting.

Another little gripe I have is I wish in body video reviews more people would take a minute to actually stand the doll up. Seeing all the joints and the range of motion is great, but actually seeing how easy it is to stand somewhere says a ton.

5. When people overprice the item they are selling to even higher than what you would originally get it for new at the original company.

6. Finding craft supplies in scale at normal quantities! I'm planning a sequined suit for one of my guys right now and the smallest I can find for 3 mm sequins seems to be 3,000

7. In second this! :sorry Part of the reason I only tried once and gave up on doing my own faceup a.. people can be so mean! Ugh

8. It really annoys me how hard to find is one of the options of Volks FCS body ;A; I really need one badly and can't find at all. It's so frustrating!! Why can't I just order what I want online *sigh*

9. Browsing Etsy and Spoonflower for in-scale items. Spoonflower has especially bad filters, giving me hundreds of pages of content to click through. I just want something that will look good on my dolls dangit!

10. Finding the right clothes that fit a big bjd like the IOS class 80. It's a lot of digging around, because you don't want to throw down a ton of money on clothes that ultimately don't fit on them. :(

And eyes. Good god, one of my boy has slanted eyes, they're very big and have the eyelids at half-mast(kind of sleepy looking), and trying to find a pair of eyes that work with the eye holes is a pain. I can't get eyes that have that glass bulge in the front, because then it just creates this very apparent empty space near both corners of his eyes(both the tear ducts and the out rims). It's even more apparent since his eyes are pretty open compared to my Anarmonia. I just want eyes that work with his large eye holes.

The other is the male body sculpts. I'm okay with the whole bjd proportions and having them being super muscled, there are people who enjoy that, but I wish there were more realistic male proportions like that of a real human dude.

11. When people say "BJD doll" even though BJD stands for Ball Jointed Doll - Just a peeve though, I won't judge anyone over it.

The thing that annoys me the most right now is how hard it is to find content on Youtube from legit collectors. Every time I try to find videos of a popular doll brand or something, my search results are a sea of nasty counterfeight videos. It's so gross I just get dispirited from seeking out content on Youtube because I don't know what channels I can trust.

12. I get so annoyed when you want to buy a doll or parts of a doll but the person you’re doing business with doesn’t respond for hours or DAYS. Like I get life happens but I see you’re active so can you please acknowledge me?

What type of legit YouTube content are you looking for? Maybe I could cater towards you in the future :P

#352 WonderlandFaerie, Feb 14, 2019
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
    13. I just like seeing what BJD collectors put out on Youtube, whether it's their collections, just talking about their dolls, or box openings, anything really. It's just that it feels like legit BJD owners are harder to find - especially for box openings. So many box openings of counterfeit dolls come up instead. Maybe there is some kind of Youtube browser extension that can filter out search results with certain key words, but the fact that so many of those videos exists is really off putting... :sigh

14. I have to address the 'bjd doll' use lol ... not a rant but just want to point out that... if ppl used "bj doll" for some places that is just too damn close to saying 'blow j-b doll' and really if you said it ANYWHERE that non doll ppl were.... do I really need to say more? lol

just saying lol 'begging for trouble' lol

15. That would be horrifying! :lol: but that's why we have the abbreviation BJD instead haha!

16. My biggest annoyance in this hobby is probably that my taste does not seem to be the "mainstream" taste, and that makes it harder to find things. I feel like whatever site I'm on, it's 10 pages of Lolita skirts and platform boots to find one really realistic pair of delicate vintage-style shoes. And forget about realistic baby clothes for tinies! It's all ruffle-clouds and moss-pants!

Haha such a stupid pet peeve!! I'm sure the people looking for Lolita outfits feel the opposite way and I know ultimately, I can just make things myself. Anyway I'm certainly not trying to disparage any one style, just expressing that it's frustrating when you can't find what you're looking for and don't have the skills to make it yourself.

17. Without going into my overall taste in dolls, I'd say the thing that peeves me most is uneven eye wells. I just can't get over the eyes sitting back in the head and gapping. I know there's soft glass eyes or something like that but keeping them dust free is just not a thing I could keep up with. All of the dolls I've had with that problem got sold on.

18. Everything is for MiniFee. Market seems oversaturated with MiniFee items, what about other dolls? We, who don't have one, also want nice things:eek:

Confession blogs. They just spread hate and intoleranc.

Photo of beautiful doll...but sculpt name isn't mentioned.

Sellers who don't mention exact shoe size, just MSD, SD...

19. Searching for eyes is just the worst because a lot of the time I have many filters to refine in my search but sites don’t have the options to search for “low-dome” or “small iris” etc.

20. Finding out your Grail doll is really rare and not made anymore.