1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread* - pt.2

Jul 13, 2017

1. It really bothers me when I see people spend $1,000 USD on a doll and then put it in a sock dress. :eek:

2. Completely agreed! I recently saw some joint-less but flexible doll bodies and it weirded me out so much. Even the 'skeletal' look of jointed hands is really beautiful to me.

As for unpopular opinions, I don't much like face sculpts that are in any way reminiscent of manga aesthetics (though I like manga just fine). I'm not talking the actual stylized ones, but anything with a small nose and pointy chin and lack of jawline... which means the vast majority of sculpts below SD size are not my cup of tea. (On the bright side, it protects me from impulse buys :XD:)

3. I don’t care for pretty, perfect dolls. There are many artists who do it very well, but I prefer unique faces with imperfect styles. I’m not crazy about ‘doll-like’ dolls. I prefer asymmetry, organic faceups, even ‘ugly’ sculpts.

4. Most Volks sculps. They just look so... clunky. And the fullsets seem cheap-looking for the price, too. Shiny, tacky materials everywhere. Especially for vinyl...

And the Soom sameface pout. Like.. fair enough, it's a nice face. And people make really gorgeous customs with them! But I just can't stop thinking that they look like they're trying to conceal the fact that they just farted.

EDIT: OH! "BJD DOLLS" why. Why do people do this.

#464 ronnie92, Jul 27, 2019
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    5. Not sure if my opinion is an unpopular one but I dislike it when people (even inside the hobby, which I saw a few times) refer to BJDs as "just toys".

For me, comparing a (basically) piece of art to a 15$ mass produced item is kind of... not okay.

Also, I'm really not into Minifee bodies or very muscular male SDs :sweat

6. My unpopular opinion is MSD is the perfect size of a doll. :roll: When I say so I'm greeted with polite silence. :nowords:

7. I guess my most unpopular opinion is that face ups aren’t mandatory. I’ve done them, I don’t like it, and I’m too cheap to buy them. The majority of my dolls are blank, and I’m perfectly fine with it.

8. @0bsequi0us Same here! I really like visible joints, that's why the "downside" of the double jointed bodies, which would be "joints are more visible than in single jointed bodies" is a win win for me! I also like jointed hands a lot just for the sake of the visible joints, even though I don't own any. :D

9. I guess my unpopular opinion would be that I think "artist dolls" are kinda meh. It's like; sculptors have the ability to craft any kind of doll they desire, any face they can imagine...... and most of the ones I see are either thicc gnomes or slenderman, with the same 2 faces (humanoid-cat mutant or eastern European supermodel). I think indie doll artists who do break out of this mold and create something really unique are underappreciated, and that makes me sad. :(

10. I too prefer organic, unique face-ups. Sure, company face-ups are beautiful and masterfully painted, but they lack character.

11. I used to love Doll Chateau so it hurts to say but I feel their new dolls have gotten less unique than a lot of the old (and now discontinued) sculpts. Once my grail arrives from them I don't see myself getting any more dolls from them. I know they're sister companies but the same goes for Dollzone. Maybe the weirder dolls weren't selling as well? Some of the event dolls they made capture the old charm but most of the main releases just fall flat for me. :(

No shade at anyone who still enjoys the newer dolls!

My second opinion I will keep short:

SDs? Way too big, no thanks! ;)

12. Would not buy a small, simply sculpted doll, no matter how cute. Even though it justifiably reflects the work put in, $100+ is way too much to me for something the size of a generic toy. I loved my Kelly dolls as a kid but if I wanted something that size I would still be playing with them. (And saving a lot of money...)

Most dolls’ heads are FAR too large for their bodies and look unbalanced on their twiggy necks, and wigs throw this even further out of proportion. It’s easier to give a pass to childlike or female dolls, who would normally have a thinner neck anyway, but males walking that line of increased detail with whacked out proportions do not appeal.

Since jointed hands have become unpopular in this thread- I don’t like static hands. They can be beautifully sculpted, but are so limiting. They make a doll look very unnatural holding things and feel robotic.

Agreed. I was trying to find a tactful way to say it but you hit the nail on the head.

13. I still strongly prefer single-jointed bodies and especially hate mobility joints. I also prefer the body joint to be at the midsection rather than under the bust (unless of course it's unjointed!).

I'd also much rather buy a secondhand doll than one new from the company. It usually saves a ton on shipping, there's very little wait time, I know exactly what I'm getting, and the resin has usually mellowed out to its final tone so no guessing if X head will work with Y body.

On that same note, I see eBay as a very valid venue to purchase secondhand dolls. I think most people tend to just write it off as being nothing but recasts and won't buy from there, but a little research will generally net you a very nice legit doll that everyone else has passed up.

I also love sending dolls out for face-up commissions. And often, I'll just pick an artist I like and give them if not free rein, little to no direction with my dolls. I keep a list of what individual artists' styles would pair well with what I have in mind for which doll and go from there. It hasn't disappointed yet!

14. Really old dolls are the bomb, for me. Most people seem to get rid of older dolls and replace them with a newer version of the same sculpt. Volks even offers this service from time to time, for a fee. Meanwhile, I have saved hundreds of dollars on Volks sculpts by buying the 10-year-old models. It just makes me sad to see these dolls abandoned because they're not "perfect." Along that line, a lot of people seem to have something against buying from the used market, for no discernible reason. I'll read people's complaints that they can't find X sculpt and find 2 or 3 on the Marketplace here. This seems to be especially strong in the Volks thread; I read complaints a lot about how exclusionary Volks' selling practices are, while looking at the exact same doll listed on the used market for hundreds less. What's wrong with used dolls?

15. MODERATION NOTE

Please remember that the first Rule of DoA is: Be Nice. Be respectful of others and have good manners.

It's one thing to have a pet peeve you would like to vent, but we do not allow bashing of the work of the doll makers that make our hobby possible. Many doll makers are members of this forum and do read threads like these. Try to imagine if your words would be hurtful to them. If you think they might, they probably shouldn't be shared here.

16. Doll clothes that are dripping with excess dye. Where do the makers find these fabrics? How do they make the clothes without looking like they've just robbed a bank and had a dye pack explode all over them?

I've had doll clothes stain things just setting them aside after unpacking them, and I mean in less than a minute. It's known these clothes are intended for dolls that are prone to staining. At least make an effort. It's one thing for there to be some slight stains after prolonged wear. It's another to have the clothing basically work as a very broad tip sharpie.

17. I'm annoyed with a few doll companies whose popularity, and hence number of orders, has grown exponentially...and yet they are too stubborn to hire more help - with the end result being that their wait times have become absurdly long. This hobby is definitely not for the impatient, but anything over seven months really starts to feel questionable (to me, anyway)...especially since others have managed to overcome the problem by growing a little to meet the demand.

18. On Instagram some artists post photos of beautiful eyes or clothes they make without any information. Every time they would get comments asking how to buy, but the poster never respond. I am really perplexed by this.

19. One of my pet peeves is when people post on the critique thread but do not actually want critique. I spend a lot of time looking at art and posts so when I give critique I am only trying to help. It really hurts when someone gets mean or defensive when you are just trying to be helpful. If you just want people to only compliment you then do not post on the critique thread.

20. ppl who tell me the amount I spend on my dolls would help me reno my house so I could keep living here.... Yes I spand a lot... but not nearly enough to do the reno work I need. So just fleck off. at least I will be happy with my resin children even if i can't keep the house -_-. (it's a matter of income)