1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread* - pt.2

Jul 13, 2017

1. I’m a bit fed up with the seemingly endless stream of beautiful young men sculpts from companies like Switch. They all look like teen idols and are difficult to differentiate.
      I don’t dislike them intrinsically but they seem to have become dominant in recent years, and I find them a bit boring.

In the same way the aesthetic of Volks girls seems to have changed to sculpts like Lieselotte and Jo March, which I find rather samey. The quality of the dolls is as good as ever, but I miss the old days with Kyon and Kaori Saitu. (Apologies if I spelled her name wrong).

Not to mention Customhouse, Shinydoll and some others that aren’t around any more. They were very good and their dolls were quirky and imaginative.

2. i would say trying to find a good sale is pretty hard which can be frustrating. also restringing your dolls i had to do it ones for one of my mermaid dolls yikes! his tale kept snapping at me

3. A bit more of a minor one than something that makes me genuinely angry. People who have really amazing doll families/projects yet no photos or profiles of them! Again, this isn't a judge of character so much as it is an annoyance for me. I get it, taking decent photos takes time and your collection is for you, not for anyone else to look at. It's more like, "No! How can I live vicariously through your collection if you don't show me!"

4. Shoe sizes. Most of the MSD size shoes I have bought are too big for my slim MSDs. But finding ones for sale that fit is very difficult. Even when they post the inside measurements, they are too big when they arrive. They are too expensive and non returnable to have such mistakes.

Another pet peeve is when people post photos of their dolls but neglect to say the company or the sculpt. It would be nice if I had a photographic memory and could identify every doll from every company on sight, but alas I don't. PLEASE identify your dolls so I don't have to feel stupid by asking every time.

5. Oh A preorder for one for my grail dolls!! For like 5 doll's :( Cool

6. Oh, I just had another one: randomly stumbling upon the perfect resin props for your doll only to realize that 1)they only came with a limited fullset and 2)said fullset has been sold out for ages. And in my particular case the fullset I happened to see on a secondhand site that prompted me to look for the official sales pic in the first place comes with everything BUT that particular prop>.< (looking at you, B&G mini Burrysa's magic wand from friggin 2008:sigh).

Another one, although it also just makes me really sad: the amount of people in this hobby who are suffering instead of being able to freely enjoy what is supposed to be a beautiful, fun and creative hobby. Guilt over the amount of money they spend and stress over how they can't afford anything for their doll, (fear of) judgment from people outside the hobby, fear of their dolls not being good/pretty/impressive enough to the point where they avoid ever showing their dolls or going to meetups, it just breaks my heart.

Also, in conjunction with that, it annoys me that even I am so afraid of judgment from people that I don't share my hobby with anyone. I tried to in the past, in hindsight with the wrong group of people so it ended awkwardly. I'm worried about comments from my family, but that's probably more in my own head than anything else. When I got back into the hobby I decided to be open and shared some of my dolls with my friend group and while they loved my cutesy lolita girls, I also like the weirder, more surreal variety of dolls (Dream Valley, DC etc) and I still feel scared to show them. And it really annoys me that I am!

7. Missing secondhand sales for my grail doll by a few days/hours, multiple times over the years. (─.─||)

8. Not having enough clothing options for SD guys...they seem to have 3 categories...punk, traditional (kimono like stuff) or chic/vampiric suits...

9. Have you looked at TTYA, Nine9Style, or Freedom Teller?

10. I think I've looked at nine9style...I don't believe I've heard of the other two though o:

11. When shopping for clothes I noticed a lot of companies usually don't show what it looks from behind, same with wigs. Even worse when they show stuff from only one (1) angle. Come on, show me how the sausage is made.
      Also the lack of pantsuits for female dolls. They come in like all colors and sizes for male dolls.

12. Completely agree. Or sculpts with special/fantasy parts that you can't see because of the excessive photoshop or they're hidden by clothes/wigs. Is it really that hard to take pictures of the doll/items against a blank background, with views from all sides, and not photoshop them to kingdom come?
      ~~

When someone messages you, interested in an item you're selling, then you never hear from them again. Even a simple "I'm no longer interested" would be nice, no explanation needed. The same goes for if you message a seller and they never reply. If someone else messaged you first, please say so. Waiting for a reply that never comes, then the items sells several days later, is no fun and a waste of time. Honestly makes me not want to deal with anyone who does this because it makes me feel like they'd be flaky during a transaction, too.

When you leave feedback for someone, but they don't leave any for you. Please leave feedback, it's a nice gesture and beneficial to the community.

When companies release dolls (especially intricate full sets) every month but have atrocious wait times of over a year. Honestly, just atrocious wait times in general. Especially for parts/blank dolls.

When tracking doesn't update. Or does after the item has already arrived.

When a sculpt is discontinued, but you don't find out until after it's already happened (mostly due to being out of the loop, which is my own fault, but still lol).

13. Going to add to this - when a seller is pushy and/or changes prices.

I saw a doll I wanted on Instagram for $300 shipped in the same country, so I messaged and said I was interested and asked a couple questions. A few days later she responded, and I was like sweet, where do I send the money too. She gave me her email then in another message said 'oh btw it's actually $400 not counting shipping' so I was like well I'll have to think about it.
      She messaged again a couple days later, telling me I can do a non refundable layaway if I couldn't pay it all, and I was honest and said paying wasn't a problem it was just the price change, and that I was no longer interested in the doll.
      She messaged again and was like are you sure? I'm okay doing a layaway through friends and family!

That put me off entirely - don't do that please

14. Nooo, sellers definitely shouldn't do that. And they shouldn't ask for friends and family (never ever pay through friends and family unless you know and trust the person, this goes for everyone). I'm also iffy on sellers asking for the Paypal fees. Yeah, they suck, but that's part of using Paypal. I'd rather they add them into the price or the shipping if they really want them covered. And if a seller is going to charge the fees, then they need to not charge more than what the fees actually are. I'm no longer buying from one dealer because the fees were double what they should have been. Which is a shame, because I like ordering through that dealer.

I'm sorry that happened to you, though. I don't blame you at all for not getting the doll.

15. I buy and sell through PayPal a lot (yarn, not dolls yet haha) so I've learned to be cautious. I only ever use friends and family with family, and friends I've known for years. I can't imagine sending a few hundred dollars to a stranger with no guarantee I'll get the item I want.
      Especially since I'm new to this hobby, I'm being extra careful.
      Thank you the doll was cute, but wasn't a grail, so while I was a little bummed, I got over it fairly quickly.

16. @VickiBee57 you totally could have just dodged a bullet! That transaction could have gone south fast!

I guess one of the big things that annoy me is sales happening much more often on social media rather than places set up to handle them with rules and feedback. There's no accountability in those places and it feels so risky especially if they trick you into no getting PayPal protection.
      Sellers adding on PayPal fees instead of including them in the price is also annoying but I just refuse to buy from those sellers and move on.
      Scalpers are also annoying but if everyone could control themselves and not support them, we wouldn't have that issue anymore. That's pretty wishful thinking though!

17. Finding long straight red wigs with bangs is hard. I need a LONG one and I cant ever seem to find the right length or they're pre-styled/cut that don't fit what I need. I found one that I hope will work but if not, I'm gonna learn how to weft a bjd wig soon.

18. Currently my top annoyance is sellers here charging PayPal fees. I don't understand how it isn't possible to just work it into the listing price if you're so desperate to recoup costs.

With all the rules here on DOA, I'm scratching my head over the moderators allowing an actual real-world violation of T&S.

There's also currently an item I really want from the MP, but the PayPal fee is ridiculous as it is nearly double than what the real fee is (by percentage calculation). Sellers are so blatant at this point that it'd be laughable if it wasn't so shady.

19. Finding a limited, no longer available, epic doll I decide I really want on Y!J, for a price I can afford, I get all happy... and then I find out I can't bid on it because the seller refuses to deal with proxy agents>.<. Which is their right, but it happens more and more and it really annoys me, as entitled as that may be. Same thing with our own MP btw, it's getting harder and harder to find sellers from outside the EU that ship internationally. Which again I can totally understand with worldwide shipping being the mess it is, but still. And since this happens to be an OT pet doll I have no idea where to post a WTB (do those work anymore these days? Mine haven't so far...)...

20. the absolute power trip and superiority some collectors have , like this isnt me roasting the hobby or people in it im literally part of it i have 12 dolls but at the end of the day we are literally just adults running around with expensive dolls, it doesnt matter what you dont or do have or what you bought or made , it should be a welcoming community but i feel the bjd community was the hardest for me to get into like ive been here 3 years and am still only on the outskirts of the com its ridiculous how rude people are how people act like theyre better then somone cus of a doll they do or dont have