1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread* - pt.2

Jul 13, 2017

1. The very reason that most of my SD dolls are hybrids... and most of them are on the same few flat or small-chested bodies I've found up over the years.

Same here plus the fact that I mostly want Victorian styles for them so there are even leaner pickings.

Teddy

2. I need to go back and read some of the posts I missed, but I really want to get this off of my chest.

1.) Why is finding boys clothes in colors other than black, white, beige, grey, or blue so difficult nowadays! I've found some, but boy's clothes of all different colors used to be everywhere when I first joined this hobby! Now, you have to scour so many different websites to find any kind of colorful clothes! And speaking of "different websites,"

2.) ...why are there so many girl clothes on etsy and DoA, yet almost no modern boys clothes?
      I have five girls, and their wardrobes are basically finished (the advantages of being in this hobby for over a decade), but clothes for my newer boys are nearly non-existent! I get that this hobby undergoes changes, and even that right now, girl Minifees are "the popular dolls," but please, someone, anyone make clothes for boy Minifees, LittleFees or SD boys! Boys need clothes too!

3.) And that's not even mentioning not being able to find clothes for my Kid Doll Chateau boy. I would be willing to pay for someone on etsy, or even here on DoA to make reasonably-priced boys clothes that aren't blue, grey, black, beige or white!:chomp:

4.) Also, no one seems to make clothes for boy LittleFee BJDs either! Am I the only one that's still active in this hobby that buys LittleFee boy clothes? The idea of making any clothes for a doll smaller than a MSD terrifies me.:shudder

5.) Leggings, leggings everywhere! Doesn't anyone want their dolls to wear actual pants anymore? The only difference from all of these MiniFee clothes sellers are the patterns on their leggings. BORING!

6.) No one seems to have any imagination anymore. For the most part there are no rock star clothes, Visual Kei clothes, bright colored pants, printed t-shirts, suits, (including ladies pants suits), capes, vintage/retro clothes, fantasy clothes or ever futuristic clothes being made anymore. No chains, studs, vinyl, pleather, feathers, or even wood anymore! Does everyone nowadays buy their dolls clothes at Ye Olde Navy or Da Gapp? Again, BORING!

I think I liked it better when pretty anime-style, rock star, imaginative clothes were popular. Oh, and GetOffaMahLawn! :|

Ugh, its 5 in the morning. :yawn I think I'll go to bed before I get myself in trouble. Sorry if this rant offends anyone.

Ryu

#962 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Apr 8, 2022
      Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    3. Literally everything you said is 100% me xD It's so hard to find boy clothes in a variety of options/colors in ANY size. Even my tiny (1/8) boys end up having to wear skirts and dresses cuz there's mostly dresses

4. Finding fantasy clothes for my boys has been very hard. Once I do find some, it's a few months of saving to be able to afford them.

5. I think what I find annoying is mainly my post office keeps messing up my packages and I have to get my doll back. They don't label things properly and send things back earlier than they should. When asking for a specific package I am missing they say it's not at the office for weeks when it should be there then I find out they sent my package back soon afterwards.This happened a few times. Another annoying thing is when I am given my package, but for some reason the entire box is soaked from the outside to the inside when it wasn't raining.

6. This so much, and everything else you said. :doh The girl dolls are all back to mini skirts and leggings only, it seems (if they are Smart Doll or Minifee sized, if not, you have lost anyway), and if your boy dolls do not dress in Idealian sized K-pop boy band or Ancient Chinese style, the air becomes very thin as well, so to speak...

7. I suspect the proliferation of leggings and skirts/dresses come from a) their rise in people fashion and most importantly b) that stretchy legging and skirts/dress can fit a wider variety of bodies. Since there are so many different bjd bodies out there, it's just safer, as a seamstress, to cast your net wider by offering things that will fit a greater range of clientele (and probably save you from answering hundreds of "HEY CAN X FIT MY DOLL?!?!" questions after you've already carefully listed the measurements of your model on the listing itself... no I totally don't work in customer service, why do you ask?)

That being said I've absolutely noticed that all the guy clothes have gotten super boring recently. You can barely even find historical stuff (aside from Chinese clothes - likely again because a) there's a lot of Chinese companies willing to make stuff from their heritage and b) the fit of the clothes makes them more forgiving across a greater number of dolls), which used to be much more prevalent... now all I see on first glance is plain dress shirts and (inexplicably) torn and/or tight pants. Those don't even go together!!

The thing that surprises me is how resistant the BJD hobby has been to standardization. Obviously there's some artists out there who just wanna make weird dolls and that's totally fine, but if you're making a more or less realistic/semi-realistic mature mini, or, like, muscular man doll... wouldn't it be beneficial to your sales to say "oh by the way, my doll was designed to fit X popular company clothes?" That way you can start seeing these sorts of "islands" of compatible dolls and that hasn't really caught on, for some reason. I don't know if this annoys me though - on the one hand I am ABSOLUTELY annoyed by how hard it is to find dolls that fit well with each other and/or can be shopped for in terms of clothes easily. But on the other, uh... I... like the weird dolls and all the options, and I'd hate it if they didn't exist because they weren't standard.

8. Yeah, wanting diverse, unique artistic takes on the human body in doll form and wanting standardized clothes sizes for dolls is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too, right?^^

All I know is it's always been like that... my first girl in 2005 was a size way out of the realm of the then standard Volks SD10/13 girls, but her company had the decency to offer clothes for her, as did other brands producing odd sized dolls, LOL. A lot of companies have reduced or dropped their clothing lines to cut costs since (Iplehouse, Soom, Souldoll...) Independent seamstresses would naturally turn to the most common and trendiest doll sizes only.

I also think the lingering resistance against standardization has a lot to do with this hobby having been almost exclusively about customization and DIY in the beginning. This has changed somewhat, though it's still important to many hobbyists, of course. It was taken for granted that things wouldn't be all ready-made anyway, in the beginning.

9. I think the leggings thing is that they're high demand because they're popular in human fashion as well as cheap, fast, and easy to produce. Leggings are pretty much guaranteed to look flattering on a doll body. I rarely even see young women wearing jeans where I live so of course I'd expect to see dolls in leggings as well. Next stop: Northface jackets?

If you look at dealers in Japan, there are people making extremely frilly girly dresses in SD10/13, and Gr sizes. Some of these dresses are incredibly detailed and expensive because of it. I really don't see many Western collectors willing to spend a whole doll's price for a dress. Same with eyes. There are some dealer brand glass eyes that cost around $200 and I would never expect to see someone over here with a pair in their doll. They're totally gorgeous but I think I'd want to at least see them irl before dropping so much on them.

It seems like in Hong Kong there's a lot of really cool clothes makers but it is hard for Western collectors to get a hold of them. Some of their prices seem really reasonable too! I wish that kind of creativity was common over here.

I don't pay enough attention to boy clothes to see if there's anything interesting there. Can't say I'm super interested in the kpop look. I'd really like to see some hakama though!

I think the ancient Chinese trend is fun but I don't really see it much with Western collectors. I don't want to own any but there's some interesting to look at and detailed outfits out there.

10. I actually really appreciate what iMda doll does - they don't carry clothes beyond the limited sets released with dolls, but they do have an entire database of free patterns and instructions. All the simple articles you may need (underwear, shirt, pants, etc) plus a couple more fun outfits that you can mix and match pieces from. Simple and cost-effective, since you don't need to be a sewing genius to cut out patterns and follow instructions that have detailed photos while you wait for your doll.

I have actually seen SO. MANY. puffy down jackets in all lengths and sizes recently. I think they're cycling back into the "fashionable" in various Asian countries so there's a lot of them getting made for dolls now.

Also it's funny you mention costs because that's what I was gonna rant about...

Not because I think the stuff is over-priced, necessarily, because I get that it's skilled artisan work and I AM willing to respect and pay for that. But still, like... I bought my girl in 2020. This month I finally had enough energy and health to start putting her together, and between two outfits, a couple pairs of shoes, eyes, wig and face-up, I think I easily spent 150% of what I spent on her originally. And this wasn't even top-of-the-line stuff!

I think this is what's ultimately keeping me from being able to really rejoin the hobby as an adult... Like I could maybe even convince myself to fit in a doll between all the other expenses, but I KNOW that the cost of the doll is only the price of admission to a very expensive fair and there is no way I can afford what's inside, so... what's even the point?

11. To me, the point is enjoyment. After being in this hobby for almost 13 years, I finally obtained a doll that I truly wanted to spoil, rather than a doll that was a mark on a checklist. I found the reason why people would buy $400 dress sets and $200 eyes. I could have never comprehended it before! Yes these things are ridiculously expensive but I want my doll to have nice things.

It's also okay to save up and wait. Your doll isn't going to hate you for not finding them shoes for 3 years. It's also fun to create your own things, which seems to be something this hobby has lost a lot of over the past 10 years. Nothing will look good at first but there's a lot of fun in trying.

Sorry for posting positive things in the rant thread. Don't tell anyone! :eusa_sile

12. I can not second this enough. It adds nothing to the hobby, but make people avoid it. My friend has been on it, and it was horribly cruel to see what people said. People just use it to tank the reputation of people that they don't like and I've noticed it is mostly artists getting ruined. If I didn't know my friend in real life, I probably would have avoided the hobby altogether.

13. I've only ever bought dolls I wanted to spoil in my 14 years in the hobby, so I'm no stranger to spending hundreds on eyes and clothes (well, I never had a doll that necessitated several hundred dollar outfits, but I spent a lot on clothes). The thing is back then I was a dumb teen with no expenses so I literally just spent whatever money I had, saved up whatever I had. Now... I have savings, car, housing to pay for... even vacations and such for mental health to me >>>> doll stuff. Granted I'm injured now and I can only work part-time, so I'm not rolling in cash, but even thinking back to when I was working full-time, I don't think I would have wanted to spend that much money even though I had more of it around.

Also, I certainly wish I could create my own stuff, but being injured means I get 4-ish hours of pain-free work a day and I'd rather put that into my freelance art aspirations than doll stuff. It sucks, too. I was good at crafting as a teen, made my own dolls and stuff. I actually got back into dolls because I felt like I needed another hobby other than work, work, pain. Then I realized sewing and cutting little doll items is still pain so, uh... I guess I got taking photos. That doesn't hurt too bad.

My other rant, to keep this on topic, is I wish that doll meets weren't in the middle of the day on a Saturday or Sunday. I don't have a lot of seniority at work + as someone who has to be part-time due to injuries, I end up having to work every Saturday+Sunday. Like, even those days but a bit later in the day would be okay (say, 4-8), I could still make it to a part of the meet after work. Maybe one of these days I'll have the energy to organize a meet on some other day.

14. I'm on a very limited budget, so I definitely understand. One thing I've been doing since I got back into the hobby is looking at outfits that I'm interested in and deciding if there are any parts I can skip. Often there's an undershirt or something that's barely seen— so I make it myself or use one I already have. And then that's another twenty bucks or whatever to put towards the other standout pieces. I'm building wardrobes slowly. Until then, I'm getting my enjoyment from posing them around my house every day.

What annoys me is that I would absolutely save up for an expensive outfit, but I never see any that really thrill me anymore. Especially since I have no interest in kpop or military outfits... There used to be a bit more variety, I think. And any of the outfits I do see that I kind of like are usually for 70+cm, which won't fit any of my dolls.

Another issue I have is with the lack of clothing measurements on some of the sites too. I've literally seen jeans listed as fitting 3 totally different sizes— which is it? Can I get a hip measurement? I don't want to buy $50 pants that don't fit over my doll's butt.

15. I will say this for that Tumblr - I initially showed up there to come to the defense of a friend. I stayed once I figured out where the gold was amongst all the dirt. There are a few highly toxic (and incredibly insecure, in my armchair psychologist personal opinion) people who have a tendency to monopolize the confessions. And there have been confessions that were caught out-and-out lying to create drama.
      I am sorry to hear that artists feel that the blog is hurting them. I know I've discovered many new doll companies I enjoy (and have added to my "to-buy" list) courtesy of confessions - but that's also probably a quirk specific to me, since I find Instagram to be difficult to navigate.

You are describing my life right now. I have a pair of "1/3 scale" pants. They don't fit my Resinsoul or MiroDoll 60cm bodies - too wide. They don't fit my Iplehouse HID body - too small. I now have pants in search of a doll, lol. (Maybe the ImplDoll body?) So as much as I agree with everyone else that leggings are boring, I also agree that they do tend to fit everybody.

16. There is nothing positive about a blog designed to let people anonymously trash some one and ruin their reputation because they dont subscribe to your personal philosophies.

Everything about it is trash, and it should be deleted.

I can find all the companies on the numerous other sites and forums. There isn't a single reason to patron that site other than to encourage the trashy behavior.

17. That's actually beautiful, I think.^^

But what @Lelite has said about doll expenses really reinforces the point that newcomers need to be informed about the more hidden, secondary costs of BJD collecting. Of course it doesn't stop with the naked doll, and a +600$ doll's accessory market is not going to be cheap either.

I understand the anxiety that BJD confession sites cause - but they are almost ridiculously easy to avoid, right? Of course they will exist. There is no office/ workplace in this world where co-workers will not talk bad about the random one that's just out the door, let's be honest - but it helps to remember that there is no reason at all why these people's opinions should matter to you, especially if they cannot even say it to your face?

18. It's really sad to see all the drama started on the confessions page, I agree that it's always artists getting hated on and it absolutely sucks. Honestly that page holds me back from releasing my own doll because I already have my own insecurities and I don't need anon hate... But yeah, if I had seen that page when I started the hobby I probably wouldn't of started a social media for my dolls at all.

19. Yeah.. And it is kind of a gateway for racism and other types of hate since they aren't being held accountable for their words.

20. I didn't realize the BJD Confessions site still exists, although I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Very easy to avoid it though. The best revenge is being oblivious. :lol: