1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread*

Dec 11, 2014

1. It's customs, the tax is ridiculous being 60-80% of the price. You can buy another doll with it or pay bills.

And that is the only thing that affected me now that I solved my MSC problem.

But I really dislike drama when I hear about it, people calling each other names, talking bad of other people's dolls, the whole recast thing is a huge disrespect.

2. I'm used to the wait times and I'm used to the cost, but what I can never quite get over is the fact that these beautiful dolls that I waited for, spent a small fortune on, and love...will change with age, and generally not for the better. Oh, they're fine after six or seven years - a bit 'mellowed', perhaps - but what about in twenty or thirty? Will my grandkids look at them and think they're icky - not worthy to be family heirlooms? Probably. There was something to be said for the porcelain dolls of days gone by...

3. This right here is a major concern for me. Part of me thinks this hobby won't be around within 20-30 years due to the cost of these dolls and the way resin ages. It makes me hesitant to buy another one. That being said, I'll also add nerve-wracking wait times and Tumblr's downright awful 'community' to my list.

#883 Selenae, Apr 12, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    4. I'm not a patient soul... No matter how many times I've had to wait, or for how long, I have *never* gotten over being impatient.

I want my doll, darn it! :lol:

5. Some of the people that are a part of the community on tumblr makes it really hard to get into the hobby since they seem rather elitist. Other than that everyone else seems friendly. I suppose there's always going to be people like that in every hobby.

6. I have not yet experienced drama in the community, thank goodness. In fact, everyone so far has been amazing and genuinely helpful and full of joy for their hobby. And no one has ever passed judgement on me for being a noob, even though I got my first doll a year ago. I've learned so much since then, but I'm still learning. :)

I think the only aspects of the hobby I don't like would be my lack of wealth, which isn't really the fault of the hobby. :p I don't mind the wait times, as someone above me said, it gives me some time to think about what sort of clothes I want to get, and what sort of face-up they should have.

I also wish there were physical stores nearby. I would LOVE to be able to walk into a shop with my doll and see and touch the clothes and accessories before I buy them. Ordering online is kind of a risk, unless you know the vendor well and know that their product will fit your needs.

7. Right now I'm both pleased and chagrined to report that 90% of my hobby frustrations are within my own personal doll-filled realm. Err'body wants attention and most of them need it! :chomp:
      Outside of local friends, DoA and the FB Addicts group, I'm not really doll-connected much online at all and that blissfully ignorant state absolutely suits my sensibilities. I should search YouTube for new people to watch because I LOVE watching doll videos.
      I guess the one big sobering fact I've encountered lately is the page full of recasts in google search that come up first when searching almost anything BJD. I'm a little concerned for new people seeing that from just a basic search.
      I've never liked Tumblr for many reasons, (doll and otherwise) so if I'm going to do anything more social media wise, I'll stick to flickr or make a doll instagram.

8. I don't really mind the wait time if it is reasonable enough, I'm fine even if a doll is an LE even if it means I might never get it because I don't have money at that time, and while I am not too happy about the high prices of some of the dolls, I get that they are works of art and the maker is free to price them anyway they like just like I'm free not to buy them, or break my bank if I'm desperate enough for it, like Zak LOL.

What I can't stand is paying so much for a doll and waiting and anticipating it for so long and the company still give me a badly made doll that is unfinished, shoddily made or had defects (and by defects I don't mean seams, which are normal). I mean, even a "cheap" doll in this hobby is still a hundred over bucks which isn't exactly cheap to justify paying for a doll that look like the company just treat them as "something to make money off" and not "works of art". I know most will say you get what you pay for but even if it's cheaper than other companies it doesn't mean you can just give a buyer a badly made doll. (Of course I'm not saying all lower priced dolls are like that, I've bought dolls that are priced lower than several of the bigger companies but you can see that the maker clearly took pride in their works.) I can close an eye if the body sculpting isn't as detailed as others, or maybe the posing isn't so amazing because yeah that's to be expected but I cannot stomach obvious defects or shoddy/unfinished sculpting that look like the company just wanna quickly finish the order and get it over and done with since they already got the money so kthxbye.

Also, I can't stand a couple companies who act "snotty" like you are just "another customer" they could do without since they are soooo popular. (I know this kind of behavior is not just limited to the BJD world, but still). But I think those are very few and far between since I usually have amazing experiences with most companies, even big, popular ones like Soom and Souldoll who actually listen and talk to you as a "person", answering and addressing all your individual questions and concerns, and try to accommodate you as best as they can even if they can't accede to every request. It's these kind of companies that win over my respect (and money LOL).

Also, I wish some companies wouldn't release such handsome guys so quickly every time LMAO. My wallet and I need a breather, otherwise the next time I go on hiatus from DOA it'd be because I got a heart attack from being overwhelmed with all these handsome boys LOL :lol:

9. Wow, I didn't know there was so much drama on tumblr about the hobby (though I'm only half surprised, there is always drama on tumblr for the stupidest thing) Regularly, I'm only going on DoA and the majority of people is very mature and nice. Really, how can you start drama so easily in a hobby about dolls?

There is also another thing that bothers me in the hobby. Sometimes companies have beautifull dolls and gorgeous heads... but you wouldn't know if you went only on their website, because the pictures are horrible! I mostly found that on the Fairyland website, but sheesh, with their pictures, the head sculpts look ugly, even though they aren't. And if I search pictures of it online, I will only find already customised ones, so I have no ideas what a neutral head looks like. It's not that much of a big deal really, but I'm always like "Guys... please put some effort. Even just a liiiiittle bit will do really.".

10. Recasts are my main issue-- any disrespect to the artists who make the dolls, but particularly that.

... Well, and I hate to fall in love with a limited, because the only thing more limited than some of these dolls is my income. But there my frustration isn't with the pricing, just the timeline (and with the realities of my budget, sure). There's just no way. I can save up, even for an expensive doll, but not when that doll is gone in a flash.

(I actually quite like tumblr-- I only follow people who are chill, or who I kind-of-sort-of-know, or doll artists I admire, so I don't really get a lot of the drama, and even then it's fairly easy for me to stay out of. I mean, I've definitely seen worse in some fandoms, but even then you sort of get to learn who to follow, who to avoid, and when to steer clear of certain tags if there's been a drama bomb)

11. The expense. It's not even the dolls themselves. Everything from eyes to shoes to wigs cost so much. I spend way more on their things than I do my own.

12. Ha! I am new and already have a few (I am sure shared here with others).

-Bad pictures in sales posts. Fuzzy phone pics. I have nothing against phone pics, but please wipe of the lense!!! and if you SEE its a bad pic.. TAKE ANOTHER!!!! Otherwise I assume you are trying to hide flaws with your flaky photography.

-Not marking things sold and deleting when its all done.

-Assuming everyone knows the size of every doll just by sculpt name.

- My biggest Peeve is SHOES. Not putting the Measurements on the shoes. If you are selling shoes, at least offer outer measurements. If you bought them yourself, Go Look Up what they say in their ad. If you can, measure inside.

13. OMG i think one of the things that annoys me most is when people post something to sell but don't give any pics of it, also when the pics aren't good quality so you can't tell the condition of the doll.

I totally agree with you on this one! The picture needs to be of at least decent quality to where i can tell at least somewhat what the condition of the doll is.

#893 DODLuver, Apr 13, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
    14. In fact, I think I could buy it on amazon but I am not sure if I should get it because apparently the newer one has a new formula and it isn't that good.
      Would you suggest it as a sealant for face ups?

15. If you dont have cristal clear and most beautyfull pictures on Instagram nobody cares about you or your hard work. Its the same with drawings. Sometimes i feel frustradet because I feel like I dont get better in art or photography.....

Another thing is customs in germany....... like for my last doll I payed 200 Euros custom fees *_*

#895 Shitachi, Apr 17, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    16. Every time there's even the tiniest change to the Purity Seal can, the internet (not just this hobby, all the hobbies that use it) erupt in a panic of either "OMG IT'S TERRIBLE NOW" or "OMG IT'S BEING DISCONTINUED FOREVER AND EVER."

I've used the new one, it's fine. Same as the old one. And my current gripe will be the people who freak out because a label changed and make other people think that a perfectly good product has been ruined forever. (I've also seen it with MSC having a label change a while back, and with a change to the label of W&N brush cleaner.)

17. Thank you a lot for the tip! It has been really hard to find a sealant and I am happy to now have another one to try. :)

18. How feminine my boy looks.

I know I chose him, but he just looks so feminine sometimes. If I photographed his legs alone, as they are at present as he sits next to me in his kimono, it'd be a little difficult to distinguish that he is in fact a 'he' and not a 'she'. From certain angles, with certain wigs, his face is very feminine. But, under all the clothes, there is no doubting his gender. His torso is muscular, and his pants hold a little wiggly secret that would soon quieten the doubters. But, I think constant doll nudity would be frowned upon. Especially when I'm considering a child-like sculpt for his companion.

But, then again, a lot of the males seem to have a very female flair to their appearances. There aren't many 'butch' manly men dolls in this hobby. And, those that are often cost an arm and a leg. Alex was about $400 for a nude doll with face-up. Don't get me wrong, I adore my resin boy, but my mum often comments on how feminine he looks. And, I would love it if he could look just a little manlier.

19. I agree with this. They are pretty. Like anime boys mostly. It would be nice if one could get a rugged man in all sizes and price ranges. It would be nice if a company out there was brave enough to make extra heads just for this. From model style attractive to old rancher from Arizona- complete with grizzle. :)

20. OH YES PLEASE. I'd be all over that! :aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea