1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread*

Dec 11, 2014

1. MODERATION

Cultural appropriation is a serious topic, but it is one that won't be resolved on a doll forum.
      Both sides have had an opportunity to express their views on the subject.
      The discussion about cultural appropriation is now over. Any further discussion about this subject or any more heated arguments and this thread will be closed. Den of Angels seeks to be a welcoming place for members of the doll collecting hobby regardless of personal views and opinions.

2. -More tan and brown skin colors from more companies PLEASE *bangs fists on table*

-More mature MSDs from more companies! Especially boys! *bangs fists on table*

-Citadel Purity Seal that can be bought in person bc Games Workshop is always sold out! *stares at Chicago spray paint and aerosol laws*

-More accurate lolita fashion clothing! *bangs fists on table* (It's way better now than it was even a few years ago tho hooooo boi)

Idk I can't think of anything else.

EDIT: WAIT NO ONE MORE--

-People judging your dolls and verbally talking smack about them IN PERSON AT THE MEET YOU'RE AT.

Whoever it was that said '(I) must be f***ing rich to afford THAT (my Iplehouse Edan in light brown skin)' I BOUGHT HIM ON A LAYAWAY. Nobody has to be rich to enter this hobby. NOBODY. Ffs I worked one part-time job at the time and was (barely) able to afford his monthly payments but I made it work. Also, I did his faceup, and all of the clothes he was wearing, minus the pair of used, stained shoes I got for $8 and the mohair wig I found on Etsy for $30 so NOPE >:I take your envy and get it out of my face bc I don't wanna overhear it AT A MEETUP. WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHO OWNS THE DOLL YOU'RE SMACK TALKING AND THEY CAN POTENTIALLY OVERHEAR YOU.

Obviously though that bothers me?! So?! Much!? I have bought ALL of my dolls on layaway, I ain't rich. >:I AND HOW DID YOU SERIOUSLY THINK NOBODY WOULD OVERHEAR YOU. AT A MEETUP. MY GOD. *throws hands dramatically in the air*

K that's it :v

#922 PurpleCheeseStick, May 25, 2017
      Last edited: May 25, 2017
    3. One of the things that REALLY annoy me is when people contact you about something you are selling and then don't get back to you. I answer all their questions, I walk to the post office to find out the exact price for shipping, then I convert the price into US dollars (I do not want to overcharge anyone!) I inform them of this and then, nothing. No reply or anything, I really wish that they would just say 'thank you but I am not interested anymore' and then I can move on and not freak out that I have done something wrong. This has happened to me four times already and I am getting sick of it. *grumbles*

Another thing is when I give people the economy airmail price (Australia post's cheapest) and then they say that it is far too much! It is not my fault practically every other country in the world is so far away!

4. When people don't put what doll(s) are in the photos they post - either in the post or the tags. Happens on Flickr sometimes and freaking tumblr all the time.

5. OMG, THIS! Most of the time when I'm trying to find Lolita fashion stuff for my doll, ALLOT of it is either lolita-esce or just plain ita :ablah:

6. -Secondhand sales posts that hide or lie about the condition of the doll. Yellowing or minor damage might not bother me if I expect them. Even a dirty doll can okay if I'm warned ahead of time that she needs TLC and a good bath. If you claim the doll is in excellent condition and use blurry photos in dim lighting with filters and it shows up banana yellow, broken fingers, filthy and smelling like an ashtray, I'm going to be very upset.

-Flaky people. Communication is a big deal to me, and I lose a lot of trust in people when they have poor communication or just never reply to PMs. I don't expect anyone to sit around online all day every day, just check in at least once a day during transactions. If you change your mind or aren't interested, just tell me so I'm not missing my chance to sell to/buy from someone else while waiting on you.

-Dolls who don't have easily removable hands and feet, especially if they have large hands or feet. Volks One Touch system and Fairyland magnetic hands/feet have completely spoiled me and now I'm annoyed with dolls whose hands/feet are difficult to remove and the s-hook slips back into the limbs. I don't want to get out all the restringing tools just to put a shirt on!

7. .When people describe richer tans as being *too* dark.
      Can't handle that resin melanin?

.Gore for the sake of gore in faceups and body paint.
      Soo edgy...

.People calling Minifee/Fairyland dolls boring/basic etc.

.The word ethereal.

8. ... yes yes and... I'm working on this! lol... I've seen the dollmore ones for the giant kids (Lusion/Trinity) I think the trick is fining the right 'stopper' to fix a 'hook' too... like a bead and one of those hooks with a 'loop' and hook end... also buttons with loop shanks XD there are things but i suck at the crafty stuff to make the perfect tool lol

9. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the things that irk me are, oh lord he has a list,

1) when people tell me what I should do with my doll, especially when it's not wanted.

2) when You see a doll you love and look up other people that also have the doll and it looks nothing like the company picture.

3) wanting a doll and having a vision for it and then seeing that someone else also had the same vision as you so you feel awkward.

4) fake people in the hobby.

5) when people that can't do faceups for shit trash someone else face up work.

6) when people trash the work of a kid in the hobby.

7) once I had stained my hand without knowing it and I touched my sisters pale minifee, haha my ass pulled out an eraser real quick.

8) easy tangle wigs.

9) wigs that cost more than they are worth.

10) bjd shaming of any sort.

10. Posing out of the box. When a doll arrives and they stand and pose perfectly out of the box and owners defines that as perfect bodies or craftsmanship. But the dolls are naked, no clothes, wigs or shoes. I have always found this irritating. Instead of showing how well the naked doll stands/pose, show us how great the doll is fully clothed. That would be more impressive.

11. I think, perhaps the only real pet peeve I have about this hobby (beyond things like paying paypal fees) would have to be...

...how every little thing is about 'status', I've been around for awhile, but I don't post pictures. One, I suck with a camera...and two I have a horrid fear that someone will judge that I do and tear it limb from limb. This doesn't mean I don't know how to pose a doll. I've never shared a modification project on the threads, but that doesn't mean that I do not have the knowledge to assist you with covering up that epoxy. I haven't posted any pictures of clothes I have sewn but that doesn't mean whatever I tell you about hemming that dress is just timeless banter.

(I'm saying I, but its more of an 'in general'). Just because someone hasn't documented a bazillion different things doesn't mean their knowledge is lacking. Just because someone doesn't own a doll doesn't mean they don't know about this hobby. You could very easily just read past their knowledge and say nothing about it, but calling someone out is just wrong. I'm not talking about someone who dissed your post about a first face up so you link theirs (which is juvenile) but asking for someone's credentials in a critique, telling someone they have no right to offer advice because they don't own a doll, or don't have a doll on their page.

...that kinda crap grinds my gears. We're supposed to be a community of like minded hobby-ists and yet I've seen quite a bit of tearing down on the forums over the years.

12. YES! Or not even remotely related to lolita fashion at all, like punk rock or corsets or even just plain striped socks. It's a nightmare XD ChocolateTsang and FeerieDollAtelier have really wonderful options though! I'm so happy that I found them. Now to just give them my money and hope that more people follow the trend... > 3 >

13. - finding a perfect head and a perfect body for a character from different companies with poor resin matches
      - the lack of non limited tan skin dolls, older looking dolls, and highly expressive sculpts
      - sewing something complicated only for it to not fit quite right and having to make adjustments after thinking I was finished
      - curly wigs getting tangled even when they're not on the doll (why)
      - shipping takes so long, I understand why it does but I get so anxious.

14. I have only one thing to rant about right now. Just a bit. When a doll company has only artistic beautiful pictures of their dolls (especially limited dolls), but there aren't any photos where you can see the head, body and face properly. My doll's pictures were so incredibly dark (she's a horror themed doll), that I can't see her too well or the full silhouette or length of her hair (black hair against black background. Yeah.). There are of course pictures of the body on a different page (where they sell only the body), but it would be nice if I could see everything without having to look for all the parts separately. And since she's limited, there aren't any other pictures of her or pictures taken by an owner. Can we please see the dolls blank? Or at least in a proper light and full body pictures? I just want to see what I'm buying.

15. Wig flyaways. A little wig conditioner works for a bit, but then it dries out and the breeze blows or whatever, and..... POOF. Sigh.

16. A current peeve is companies that don't post measurements in convenient places or don't have useful measurements (mostly neck circumferences for hybriding). It's such a pain to have to go through a bunch of extra pages to find measurements; just put them with the dolls, please! There's no reason not to. This is kinda nitpicky, but it's so annoying when you're trying to hybrid and can't find measurements. The Wiki on DoA is super useful for measurements, but sometimes it's not updated or the company just didn't provide the specific measurement in the first place. (I'm looking at you and your lack of neck circumferences, Luts!)

17. I believe I posted in this thread before, but I've got a few small current rants:
      -the fickleness of MSC/ZM spray. I've had a few near perfect faceups ruined by one crappy coating of spray.
      -faceup woes in general. Making tiny mistakes when getting fairly far into a faceup, and it then ruins it to the point of needing to start from scratch.
      -Sculpting elf ears. The whole modding process, making a mistake and having start over, rinse and repeat. And then having a mishap which leads me back to square one. Elf ear mods are my bane.:vein
      -Elitism. Seriously, we're all in this hobby for very different reasons, and we all have different tastes and ideas of what we want. It bothers me to no end when people look down on others for not buying from that brand, this size or that price range. Elitists: get your heads out of your a-holes and let people collect what they love without judgement. Do unto others as you would have done unto you, after all.
      -the whole recast debate, and the extremists involved in it. Enough said.
      -Making wigs. They're just a big pain, but some styles I'm looking for are very customized and hard to find, and getting a custom wig done costs a lot.
      -the lack of glow-in-the-dark eyes on the market. I'd love to find a nice pair in blue that I don't have to make myself.
      :dance

18. No, I haven't heard of a sealant called Testor's Dullcote yet. However, i highly doubt that we have it in crafts stores in my country. Here in Austria we don't really have a big bjd community which makes it even harder to find the supplies for customizing dolls. How much is it though?
      I am currently using Purity Seal. It does work really well but it leaves a frosty layer on the dolls face, making the colors a little bit lighter. It also has a lot of texture which is rather noticeable. Although it has some flaws, it still works really well I would recommend it.

19. - Not being able to find owner photos of a sculpt I'm interested in getting or already have and just really love! TT_TT It seems like most of the ones I like are really unpopular or that people who do own them just don't post photos of them all that much....

- Finding cute clothes on etsy for msd girls that suit my characters that aren't made for minifees. It's so frustrating when I find the perfect outfit only to find that it's only made for minifees. ;_; My msd girls can't squeeze into that!

- Wigs placed too far back on a doll's head. This is my most petty of complaints, but at least it's also the most easily fixable one. Just pull them forward a bit and voila! Your already cute doll is even cuter now! :3

20. I hate how confusing a lot of doll sites are. It's like I have to go on a treasure hunt just to find one item. Unclear item names, strange links and a lack of links. Some of it might be because of the language barrier and poor translation, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.