1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy you... *Rant Thread*

Dec 11, 2014

1. I'm absolutely new to the hobby, so I just have some mini-rants :)

- Like [MENTION=8673]dollieaddict[/MENTION]t said: When sellers mark eyes or wigs as SD size and no exact measurements.
      - That half of the shop from Tata is sold out
      - When sellers doesn't answer to your questions (about measurements ;) )

- As you can read, my mother tongue isn't English, but I try my best...but sometimes the interaction with sellers or companies is sooo exhausting. You ask 3 questions - they answer one...you ask again...again an answer who doesnt' help me. I absolutely understand that most of the companies doesn't speak Englishg very well...but so do I...
      But sometimes I have the feeling, that they don't care (ever heard of google translate?).
      The thing is, I work in in German onlineshop. We get eMails in Italian and French. I don't speak one of these languages, but with the help of google translate or Leo or my collegues I'll try to answer in that language. And why? Cause someone wants to spend money in my onlineshop.
      But yes, I think I'll get used to it :)

Then some things who doesnt' annoy me...annoy is the wrong word...but more makes me sad?

- Sometimes I see beautiful photos of beautiful dolls with amazing wigs and clothes, etc....as a newbie I'm really interested in information about good clothes shops, etc. But whn I ask the owner about where he bought the clothes (ans I think I ask very friendly, with many compliments), many owners ignore me or answer really harsh. I don't know if it's rude thing to do, asking about sutch things? :(

- I'll get my first BJD in about one month and I'm really exciteded and completely in love with the sculpt. But it makes me kind of sad to see, that so many people sell this sculpt or complete dolls with this sculpt in the marketplace. More than other sculpts from the same company. It makes me feel, like this boy isn't very loved from people...and that makes me sad (I know, that's silly)

2. My biggest pet peeve is people being elitist and snobby about their dolls.
      On tumblr, i saw a few girls being rude to another because she "dared" to give a limited head a new faceup. (it looked better than the original, tbh)
      Like.. why even do that? its someone elses doll, and it makes them happy.

3. Been watching this thread, and it finally dawned on me I have 2 rants/peeves, related to the Marketplace --

1) Sales photos. I know many of us are not fortunate to have space and lighting to make good photos, and we all don't have experience with merchandising, but expecting people to pay for something on the basis of one dim, fuzzy headshot... :roll:

Not to mention the close-ups with the camera right up in the doll's face, giving that distorted fish-eye look. Please, stand at least a yard/meter away and use the zoom!

If it's a whole doll, include a full-body nude shot, and not taken looking down from the top of the head.

2) Removing the final sales price when Graveyarding a sales thread. It's helpful to be able refer to the Marketplace Graveyard when you need to set a price for your similar items. The price wasn't private when it was an active listing; why should it be private when finally sold? Or are the sellers afraid someone will harass them for selling too low/too high?

4. Google translate between Chinese and English can be very hard to understand, though (same with English and other Asian languages). They might be using an automated translation and still not understand/answer coherently...

5. They aren't supposed to alter their thread at all, just mark it as "finished," so it's against the rules to take the price out. Big peeve of mine too. I like to use the Graveyard to both see what I missed and see if the price for a similar, active listing, is fair.

It's probably not possible with the forum software, but I wish there was an option to search just the thread title in the MP. Or everywhere, really. It's a pain to get threads in a search just because someone has mentioned the word I'm searching somewhere in their post. Or refine a search in the MP by last post time. Sorting by start time means old listings with lots of bumps are pages away. As others have no doubt mentioned, people that post things for sale (months ago) but never bump them or mark them as sold. :|

Oh! Thought of another thing: companies that have their dolls wearing clothes/wig/shoes/eyes that are not part of any full-set offering but NEVER mentioning where on their site the items can be bought. If they can't be bought on their site I wish they wouldn't show them. Maybe it just happens to me (because I'm hugely unlucky or something) but I'll see the perfect thing worn by a doll on a company site but can't find the thing for sale. . . or if I do manage find it, it's sold out. :(

6. Yes, this so much. I was almost gonna buy DOD's Pitts purely because that dress looked so cute and suited her to a T. But no luck, they aren't even selling it as part of the default outfit event they have on.

7. Lately for me, it's PMing a seller about a doll and never receiving a reply. I've found two dolls I really wanted to buy in the marketplace, but neither of the sellers have responded (or even logged in to DoA). It's just pretty frustrating.

8. companies who take those super artistic pictures of their dolls, but who can't bother to also take clear pictures of the sculpt and faceup.
      are you selling an expensive doll or clothes and wigs ???

9. - Living in a dorm and waiting for your roommate to vacate so you can actually take your doll out in peace. D:
      - When companies don't include photos of the elbow and knee joints in action. I just tend to be really particular about knee joints (says the girl with only one doll).
      - Trying to pick names for dolls that both encapsulate them and are unique but not off the wall.

10. -that the bank expects me to pay my credit card each month

11. THIS! Senior Delf Zed on Luts has on an outfit I'd love to purchase...but it's not on the site! What the heck??

12. Mine probably seem silly in comparison. They really are things that are silly and nitpicky, but aren't all pet peeves?

- Some companies don't have full body shots of the dolls, have it in a position where the jointing isn't really clear, or at least end up covering the hips and torso when they do. Why I don't know, but considering my pickiness when it comes to the hip and chest joints on dolls, its rather important that things are visible.
      - Doll companies recommend eye sizes for their dolls, but the default eyes they send with them are always larger than their recommended sizes...and then sometimes their recommended sizes are too big too >< Nothing like getting a doll who was recommended 14mm eyes, came with 18mm eyes and then discovered he required 12mm eyes.
      - When you find the perfect doll body, are planning on purchasing another and have saved up enough, only to find that something has changed - either the design of the body (yes AoD) or the colour of the resin (hi Bobobie). There is a doll body that I absolutely love and wish I could get more of, but the company no longer exists, big sad face, best posing doll body that I've ever come across.
      -Finding the perfect clothing for one of your dolls, only to find that it is only made in a large size, and you're looking for it to fit on a mini or tiny >< More traditional Chinese clothing for minis and tinies please ^^
      - On a similar vein, why is most clothing for tinies all childish? Not all tinies are childish! Out of all of my tinies, none of them have childish proportions or childish faces (they are all meant to be sort of chibi, so dress like they would if they were not chibi), so it looks really silly on them.
      - And the one thing I almost forgot - people who tell you that you should get this particular doll sculpt or do these particular things with your doll so that it will be more popular, or that you should buy this expensive doll because no one likes the cheaper and more unpopular sculpts. 'Should get a Delf Shiwoo, or an Iplehouse Jessica because it costs more than that silly Bobobie Pandora! Oh, you should do this to your MiniFee Ruth's face, and get him that body instead, everyone will love him then!' I ended up leaving two different groups of doll meets because of this...

13. OMG yes! This right here!

14. Ooo lets see things that irk me...
      When your family/ friends who are non dolly people think that BJD's are Barbies! No they are certainly not!!!
      The fact that some companies don't take pictures of a doll in the other skin colours... this is probably really silly, but when a doll is pictured in white skin and I'm not huge fan of white skin, it would be so much easier to see more pictures of a doll in tan or normal skin toooo....
      The only other things that annoys me is the waiting and the outrageous prices of some second hand scuplts!!!

15. *When companies provide pictures of an event doll with special outfits on, but do not come with the doll, or are even available to purchase at all~ :c
      *Not having my doll shipment updated at all until 3 days before I receive it~ :T
      *Finding clothes for YOSD sized & smaller dolls~ Dx
      *Sites that don't offer separate heads of your favorite sculpt~ ; ~ ;

16. When a company goes "sold out" and you never see this bjd again but its on their list and you just beg for it to come back

17. People who are selling used bjd clothes that look like they've been worn by actual people because they're just so.. worn, but they want to get basically the price they originally paid for them. But if you want a good price for something used, at least do the minor repairs stated that it needs and I don't know.. wash it or something!

I also don't like not being able to get all the measurements I need before I get a doll in my hands. I like to make things in advance. I have to guess by measuring my screen and comparing other measurements. That doesn't work so well for circumference measurements.

Oh yeah, and doll shoes that were listed to specifically fit the doll you bought them for, but when you try to take them back off the foot comes off with the shoe, haha.. that's annoying.

18. When someone in my real life world says...."you need to paint it like this" or "dress her like that". Or NO, buy her in THAT color. OMFG. Zip it. It's my escapism. Not yours.
      Ok. I'm done.

19. umm... hmm a few of mine are:

-family/random people thinking you are weird for collecting dolls or jumping on you for spending money on them
      -People that change/remove the sale price from threads that are then graveyarded so I cant see what something sold for previously to get an idea of how much it would be second hand... especially when there arent a whole lot of sales for that particular item x.x (I've seen several where it was just changed to SOLD)
      -People not posting enough pictures on sales threads so I can see what the dolls look like/only posting one photo that doesnt show the doll or the condition it is in (especially bugs me when they dont include a body shot!) or not posting any at all...
      -graveyard threads that the pics were removed from the hosting site so I cant even look to see what a particular sculpt looked like or the resin color when I was looking for old photos when thinking about hybriding.
      -the search engine on here bringing up a ton of posts that are not related to what I want at all just because one person happened to mention the company/sculpt name on the thread XD
      -Prices being so high. I dont mind paying lots of money for stuff, but it just takes soo long for me to save up because I make very little a month x.x Sometimes wish my favorite company's dolls were a bit cheaper.... especially when dolls get discontinued :(
      -People charging paypal fees x.x I understand that a large chunk is usually taken during doll sales and things, but this is something we have to live with. Paying as personal payment is very risky when buying dolls... however, for splits and GOs, I dont mind sending personal since the fees get taken when the money is sent to the company.
      -Sculpts getting discontinued! This is probably the biggest one for me... I know molds get broken or company's move in a different direction or it just isnt worth it to keep sculpts around that arent bringing in the money, but ugh! Saving up for this hobby is so hard and it sucks when a doll you have been wanting for ages suddenly disappears and is also very limited on the second hand market. I'm lucky I was able to get my Iplehouse Douglas when he was discontinued....
      -and that brings me to the last one.... limiteds being released fast and furiously for such short sale periods... then when you think you missed your chance, one coming up for sale again and you missing that one too. -coughipleheadsalescough-

(I'm still kicking myself for not clicking through the shopping cart fast enough to get that Iplehouse Douglas Scar head during their last sale x.x)

20. My rant is about doll companies that don't let you select the eye color of your doll after spending a lot of money for them and just basically throwing away money sending you eyes you won't use at all!