1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

This going too far? [ Dollfie robot? ]

Dec 7, 2009

1. Its a little creepy for me, but I can see why someone would mod a doll like that. I like posing my doll though, it makes me feel more connected to them.

2. I don't believe this is going to far. She looks interesting and I it would be fun, even if you just wired one up to move when it was in your arms the reaction would be--funny. Besides most of the claymation and motor controlled puppets are similiar in idea and function.

3. I dunno about the morals behind it but hell I WANT ONE!!!! LMAO - thats the coolest thing I've seen since the Amityville Toaster!!

BJD's and Dollfies arent supposed to do this but the science behind the robotics is pretty awesome so I bow to the genius who got it to work so well!! Its not a traditionally defined BJD anymore.... its a robotic doll.... I think the only thing that gives it a drawback is it would be limited to playing a guitar.... BUT if you could plug her into a PC and re-program the movements without needing a Programming degree - Hell that would be AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!

Edit: eeek masks >_<

4. I found this thread to be very interesting. The robotic BJD was very fascinating and I give thumbs up to the creator but as for my tastes
      I'll stick with my beautiful :aheartbea non-moving BJD kids.

I would also like to thank Ellanie for explaining to Ekonsine and Kalani about
      the facial masks in Japan and basically in Asia. I wish Americans would use mask when they have colds or Flu. I'm kind of tired of being sneezed on or coughed on by people who seem not to care about the others around them.

5. That is actually pretty awesome. One step closer to Angelic Layer.

6. Going too far? How? That is one of the cutest and coolest things I have ever seen and I now have a serious case of WANT. :o

7. I'm neutral as to its aesthetics - it's cool and all, but I've seen this done before - though at this point I think it's less of a BJD and more of just a robot made to look like a BJD/in a BJD shell.

8. I thought it was pretty cute, and rather well done!
      I'm also really glad I couldn't hear any cheesy music coming out of the thing, although I suppose it would have been something Japanese and thus over my head/inoffensive.

I wouldn't want such a thing for myself, though, because I prefer dolls to just be dolls; quiet and passive.

Raven

9. well, i wouldn't want it for my dolls, but i definitely like the idea in general. i think it's sooo cool!!!

10. I agree, I loved that.

11. I'm impressed. I can't imagine the time and effort that went into making her do that... wow.

I don't think I'd personally want mine to move in such a way, but I don't think it's "going too far" by any means. I'm all for creativity!

12. I actually thought of this a few days ago and felt that it would be awesome! But I wouldn't buy anything like this until the technology was much more advanced. However, I am a total gadget nerd so I might be totally biased...;)...I am such a nerd!

13. Also, did anyone else think of Ghost In the Shell 2 when they saw this?

14. I'm sorry, I swear I'm not trying to spam this thread but what is the Uncanny Valley Effect?

15. Wow, I shat brix

But that is pretty cool

16. Hah, neat. I wonder how much work it took..

Anyway, maybe venturing slightly OT, but the masks the people are wearing aren't creepy at all; it's common place for sick people to wear them. They probably have some kind of cold and don't want to get other people sick, so they wear the mask.

17. There's a thread on uncanny valley in the debate section, but uncanny valley is the factor that makes some people find dolls creepy.

Everyone has a certain point where they instead of a defining it as a doll with realistic features, they start to unconsiously go the other way. A person starts to register things wrong with it as a human figure. You can't quite put your finger on what isn't right, but it just isn't right. Instead of being a pretty doll, it looks like an ugly person.

Doll collectors like us have a much different perspective on this than someone who doesn't see them often. I personally prefer less realistic faces partly for this reason. It's easier for non-doll people around me to accept a cartoonish face than something made to look highly realistic. Many doll people prefer it the other way for the same reason. The more realistic, the better.

Seeing a doll move like this little one is, despite being the Dolfie Dream with her anime-style face and proportions, kicks uncanny valley. It's pushing the doll to be more life-like than an always still BJD, and that's what's a bit creepy to certain people.

18. In reply to the OP:
      well just because it "scared the freak out" of you doesn't mean that it went too far.
      The idea of this hobby is that we can customise them all we want. To me this doll is just another value added dollfie. By saying that it went too far and that bjds are not supposed to do that, you're just killing another possibility of further customising a doll.
      Well to each his own but just because you don't like your doll to move doesn't mean that all bjds should not do that.

For myself, I'd not want my dolls to move but its more for their safety. The DD dollfies are not made of resin so they can put in as much machinery as they want, or let them fall as many times as they want but i doubt resin dolls would survive that.
      I wouldn't mind doing it for a short time for some school project though but definitely not permanently as I want my dolls to sit there nice and still.
      Nevertheless, I love the idea of moving bjds if people are willing to try it on their dolls. Nothing is "too far" in the bjd world...except using sharpie on the doll perhaps.. :P

19. I saw this the other day and thought it was kind of neat, actually, although nothing I'd want to own.

And as an aside, when I read the words "going to ..." I expect to see a verb where the ... is. "Far" isn't a verb.

I think you meant to use "too" (the choice that indicates extent or can be used to mean 'also')

It's a friendly word, one that deserves more frequent and correct use ;) Like Fayerie did, just above: "Nothing is "too far" in the bjd world...except using sharpie on the doll perhaps.. :P"

20. I think I want a clarification from the OP to define exactly what is "going too far" or "not moral."

In my opinion, I fail to see what the OP's problem is.