1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

This going too far? [ Dollfie robot? ]

Dec 7, 2009

1. animatronics isn't something new, think about all the bejeweled golden birds that sing and dance to entertain royalty way back when. application of this technology to BJDs is rather cool IMO

2. Looking back to one of the questions in the first post, that DD wouldn't follow DoA's BJD standards, being that it's no longer supported by elastic, but instead by the machinery giving it movement.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as BJD at all, even without thinking about DoA's on- or off-topic standards, being that it's totally RC'ed.

3. i think it's awesome! she looks so cute - and it looked pretty realistic too - i'm surprised.

(a side note: people mentioned being freaked out by the mask the woman is wearing. people in japan - and in small pockets of other communities too, like the town i live in - where masks when they go out sick, as not to spread their germs. it's pretty courteous i think!)

4. That was so cute! I don't think I'd own her though, just because I've never been too much into RC stuff anyway though.

5. Wow, that's incredible! She is darling.

6. That doesn't look like a modded ABJD to me. It looks like someone took a pre-made robot body, stuck a maid outfit on it, and replaced the head and hands with the ones from a Super Dollfie or a Dollfie Dream. So I would consider this a mod of the robot, not a mod of the doll, as the majority of the thing is robot parts.

And no, I don't find it disturbing. I don't know that I'd make one myself, since it doesn't really have any connection to the reasons I participate in this hobby, but it's still cool. However, anyone who has looked into Uncanny Valley/Unheimlich theory won't be surprised by people who are freaked out by it.

7. I don't think that is going to far, I thought the movement was really good as the doll could sway side to side while strumming. It may just be a robot looking like a bjd, but I'd be happy if my dolls could move like that, especially the tinies.

8. I think its cute! its also a pretty good idea...but im guessing it would be extremely expensive!

9. I think it's nice, adorable and cute~ :3 Would be happy if my dolls good move XD

10. The "it's human like" realism goes away after you watch a few RoboCup Youtube videos. They are hilarious! They fall over for reasons unknown (routine for blocking?), but how they get up is very unhuman like. They are not RC but true autonomous robot. The strength and speed of the servos impress me, not to mention the program algorithms req'd to play a game of soccer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICgL1OWsn58

There is a baby in the audio that must be having fun!

The dollfie playing a guitar is probably a robot mod as suggested by Kiyakatori. The shaky hand movements come from the servo feedback mechanism..unstable in this case or not properly adjusted.

For those who want, it's affordable. Femisapien from WowWee is $90?!...$38 at Amazon, just checked.

http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/toys/robots/robotics/femisapien

Like anything else, you can always spend more.

11. It creeps me out a little, but my bodyfriend is thinking of getting a bjd to do that same thing.. he wants to animate one and make it a cute little droid.

>.> I'd be too scared to keep it in my house. But, kudos to the brave souls who arent.

12. I guess I'll go the road less traveled and say I never want to see my doll move, ever. When I was a kid I used to take toys (like dinosaurs that roared) that had electronics, fill the sink with water, and drop the toy into the water until all the electronic machinery was shot.

XD Then I'd play with the toy.

I don't know what it is about electronic/robotic dolls/toys, I just don't like them. I'd rather imagine the way they move/sound instead of creating something that actually moves and makes sound. Not to say that the person who programmed/built/modded that robot isn't dedicated and quite talented, but I would never own a toy robot, whether it be vinyl, resin, or metal. I see toys as vehicles for imagination, not something to set up and watch it dance/pull a lever and listen to it roar.

13. so she has motors inside? I think this is a very cool idea, *remembers seeing a discussion on BJD Persocoms...hmmm* I like the idea of remote-controlling your doll, but then I feel the dolls wouldn't have the same doll-like appeal to them. On another note, I was looking for if it was possible to convert a BJD into a marionette with threading techniques *Shadowhearts Cornelia doll, anyone..?* I do wonder how that person got the motors...

14. oh~gosh!me too:sweat....

15. I think it is amazing and clever, and it's not a pure Dollfie. the movement at the end when the guitar is taken away gives away the secret, it is a Femisapien that's been customized with a Dollfie head and hands. Those aren't oversized shoes, those are Femisapien's regular feet painted to look like shoes. I suppose that would make her WAY off topic here.

But I think she's awesome, although that twitching thing she does when she is not actually executing a movement is a lot creepy.

The owner is probably using the RC controller because Femisapien normally gets her command input from head-sensors and her head has been replaced or covered by the Dollfie head. She's just that much closer to a Persocom.

16. Dont get me wrong, I wasn't saying I think its wrong.
      It is super awsome. I just think this isn't a BJD or Dollfie anymore, as those are made to pose yourself and not made to move themselves. As though, it still is awsome and very well done.

I also though the vid was well sharing with the comunity.

17. I think it's cute and very clever! ^^; However i'd be concerned to see what people would do next with similar technology! o.o;

18. That actually looks pretty awesome. My classmate and I thought of it before. He knows about my doll (most people in my class do) but he's the only guy that really thinks they're awesome. But we had a discussion on how awesome it would be if they could really walk, but that it would be very difficult to achieve.
      But this dancing one looks awesome.

19. It's sorta funny but it was Angelic Layer that really sold me on dolls.
      The dolls look so similar... somaybeIcanimaginethemdoingcoolstuff! But yeah, the doll that moves rocks my socks off, maybe it's because I'm not too easily frightened by inanimate objects or that even if my dolls could do something too me I doubt they would.
      Back to the Angelic Layer, good gosh I hadn't even thought of modding a doll to do that! I keep waiting as each year the Japanese gets better and better robots and my dream comes closer to reality!

20. thats so cool!