1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Those Anime Dolls"- Does the connection bother you?

Dec 21, 2008

?
  1. Yes. VERY. MUCH. SO.

2. Yes, quite a bit.

3. Only a little.

4. Not at all.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I don't mind at all. I love anime, still do, and I thank it for introducing me to many of my other hobbies including BJD. I saw one a long time ago, most likely a volks being referred to as an "anime doll" and was ooooooo must know more. So yeah. Thanks Anime/Manga!

2. It annoys me.

I am not a fan of anime (with the exception of miyazaki who is just a genius) so there's that, but then there is a bigger issue that is too much to go into.

3. I guess getting irritated at an "outsider" for seeing the relation between anime and BJDs would be kind of pointless since there is a connection. I'd have to give them credit for being visually clued in to a particular aesthetic. Volks built their company on manga and anime related merchandise like figure kits, their first few BJDs are definitley more in line with the general look and they still produce dolls with ties to ongoing series. I guess I don't understand being irritated with the origin and history of my doll hobby.

While it's true I've been a fan of manga and anime since I was little and the relation certainly drew me towards BJDs, I was already a doll collector. If BJDs had come from some other source, I'd still be into them and I wouldn't be ashamed of where they came from. I wasn't bothered by my Barbie's origin as a german fetish doll either.

I'd also like to say that people who are less involved with manga and anime seem to think they all "look the same" and well, they don't. There is a mainstream anime look that is easily identified but with some poking around you find that there are a lot of artists whose work is very unique. Tada Yumi is a great example of an artist with her own style (wide mouths and big noses!). And I hate to see the artistic work of somebody like Yoshitaka Amano reduced to being sneered at for being too "anime".

4. i think that the reason why people make such associations, as some people have mentioned, is that the dolls are often seen, at least in my experiences, at conventions or with things related to the anime world.

to be honest it does bug me. not to the point that i would kirk out on someone if they made the association. but i feel like, with all things, there is a lot more to the BJD world then anime fandoms and such. not that there is essentially anything wrong with people who are into that, but i feel like most people put a lot more into their dolls then a persona created by someone else. i think that when i encounter people who perhaps think that way it gives me a reason to look more closley at things.

5. It doesn't bother me personally, because I am into anime and Japanese culture as well as BJD, but I can see how it would bug someone who got into the dolls through other sources.

6. Generally, no, it dosen't bother me.
      As idrisfynn mentioned, there is a strong connection between anime and BJDs.

It does bug me, however, when some people start asking "And what anime is that [doll's] character from?". My dolls don't cosplay >.>
      But I don't let it get my panties in a bunch. ;3

7. I've only been in this situation once, and by a very friendly elderly lady who shocked me to the beyond because heck! She knew what anime was! Not that many people know about that stuff around where I live--a good thing and a sad thing. She was very intrigued with my doll and it was a very delightful conversation.

A way it could bother me is if the person makes the association just to be derogatory--but whenever something like that happens, I don't back down and show any shame. It's what they want me to do, and they ain't gonna see it happening.

8. Not really mainly because I like anime and I want that connection to be made. It seriously beats any like with living dead dolls and chucky thats for sure. Now connections like that do annoy me far more.
      BJDs are often put together with anime, cons and cosplay because usually at cons now they have doll meets/events, so thats how people often find out about it. I found out about BJDs through cosplay myself.
      As for the wide eyed perfection, I'm all for it!

9. I actually kind of agree. I'd rather have them associated with anime.. then with chucky and living dead dolls. My brother calls my bigger boy.. Chuck and my puki a troll :|

10. I find out about bjd going from some anime-related sites or blogs, but, in my head, BJD and anime is not related at all. I heard from people stuff like 'those anime dolls' and was upsed, but not because they related BJD and anime, but because it sounded mocking and I hate how people thinks about anime as of something childish and stupid :< I love anime!

11. At least "Anime dolls" are better than "Weird and freaky dolls" :/

Anyway, I don't really mind actually. I'd probably correct them, but I doubt I'd have a hissy fit over it, since I love anime and found out about BJDs through cons. ^^

12. It can irritate me at times, especially since I do not watch anime (I focus on manga). Though I cannot complain, I found out about them at a convention...though a mixed entertainment convention, it is rather big on the japanese anime. The only relation I see to them is the fact that both are japanese created, even though Volks (and obitsu for that matter) do have anime dolls.
      I'm still going to have to admit, the 'Chucky' and 'Cabbage Patch Kids' comparisons irritate me more, but I still do mention that I don't consider my dolls to be' anime' either

13. The stylistic connection to anime is legitimate and doesn't bother me at all; the annoying part is the social connection to creepy otaku and rabid fangirls that give the anime fandom a bad reputation. So it's hard to say if the connection bugs me because part of it does and part of it doesn't.

(And I realize that's just a stereotype, but I don't want the stigma, especially since I have only a mild interest in anime and know very little about it at all.)

14. I agree with these points too and several others that people have made about origins of the doll. I got interested in manga/anime whilst at college (16 years ago!) and only through rekindling that interest and googling did I discover ABJD's this year. Obviously for me I have no problem with the association and am even considering adding a Dollfie Dream to my collection!^^

Added: I had people outside of the hobby say all sorts of things about my dolls so far, finding them creepy or whatever, I just laugh as I love ABJD's, being told they were 'anime' is preferable to them being called ugly!!

15. I always thought it was because people are like "Oh, those Japanese dolls, right? Anime is Japanese. ANIME DOLLS"
      But, y`know, they`re not from Japan. XD

But still, the connection doesn`t really bug me, as-long as people don`t be all "omg, fangirl" on me.

16. I don't really blame people outside the hobby for associating these dolls with anime; most of them do have that anime aesthetic. Skinny, beautiful bodies, unnaturally long legs, big eyes. Not all dolls fit into this category, but it seems the majority do. And a lot of people dress their dolls in fantasy clothing with crazy wig colors, so that makes people think "anime" a lot too. I also agree with what Sofay said, I think it's because they assume all these dolls are from Japan. Really, only a handful are.

I would get a little irritated if someone immediately presumed a bunch of extremes, like I am obsessed with everything Japanese and only watched tons of anime just from seeing that I had a vaguely animeish doll. I am not really into anime much at all. But as long as the person isn't being obnoxious, I don't care much if a person connects me to anime because of my doll. I will simply tell them it isn't true if they ask me. :)

17. Yes, but, how would some one otherwise unfamiliar with bjds know this? And since there are some genuine connections to anime (beyond being seen at conventions) they aren't entirely wrong either--they just don't have all the pieces to the bjd puzzle.

18. I agree with Taco. Somebody might say "is that an anime doll" or even "is that a goth/lolita doll" because they simply don't know and are trying to make a connection. They're trying to understand what it is, so they associate it with something they "know" more about. Your doll has big eyes and a small mouth: Joe Sixpack has seen some anime that's similar, so that's the associate he makes.

Nobody's really associated mine with anime/goth/lolita, but even if they did it would only bug me if they're being derrogitory.

19. Ive been to quite a few duel purpose conventions (Sci-fi/Anime, Dolly/Anime) and the only thing that bothers me is when people ask about BJDs and Anime and you start to explain whatever you might think is the answer (with me it has no connection, I hardly watch it) AND THEY JUST WALK OFF!!!
      Now thats what annoys me <_<

20. I'm afraid that I know nothing about anime or manga, except the very little I've picked up on doll boards. I was just attracted to the dolls because I find them interesting and beautiful, and don't really care what anyone may think. Most of my dolls are realistic anyway, and look more like big fashion dolls than anime characters.