1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Those Anime Dolls"- Does the connection bother you?

Dec 21, 2008

?
  1. Yes. VERY. MUCH. SO.

2. Yes, quite a bit.

3. Only a little.

4. Not at all.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Doesn't bother me. I didn't find out about BJDs through anime (which is ironic because I love Rozen Maiden), but I do love my anime and manga. There's nothing wrong with it, and there's nothing wrong with disliking it either. Not all anime is my cup of tea, not all BJDs are to my taste, it's just how things are. Plus, some of them do have an anime-like aesthetic going on so I can see where people get that from (not to mention to some people Asian = anime stuff). If someone attempts to use that comparision as a means of offending me, well, good luck to them with that.

2. well... there are a lot of anime like bjds. The don´t have to be manga "Sailor Moonesque" to be anime style. Big eyes, small nose and lips, big head are the features most of people see in bjds and it's similar to anime.

3. I don't like anime but it doesn't bother me one bit. No one person can know everything about everything and people will associate the dolls with something they are familiar with, which is most often anime. It says nothing about you or your likes or them and their intelligence when they compare the two so to get worked up over it is incredibly silly. That being said, if the person is informed and does it to be annoying it might bug me. Not because of the connection but because they are probably just annoying in general.

4. I was introduced into BJD from a Lolita fashion forum.
      So I guess you are likely to like Japanese stuff if you know what a BJD is.

5. I'm so bothered I can't stop buying them!

Badum-tish

BUT seriously in my case I came from anime and other Japanese fandoms. My introduction to Dollfie Dreams was through anime characters. I have since become interested in non-anime resin BJD's (so far only have one, a Feeple60M) but my first love is still the anime style ones.
      There are things within the hobby that I really don't care much for, and some that I find downright embarrassing. Not so far that I'd say any of them bother me, but I get it.

6. No one said this to me and I found about them a gothic forum here on Brazil and people always relate them to art or other dolls. But I also wouldn't mind, some BJDs are inspired in anime/manga and there some mangas/anime are with BJDs as well. I do like some series like Cowboy Bebop and others, it's a media with many different styles and story types. I would find more problem to have it related to some specific story I find bad than to the whole media spectrum.

7. Anime and Manga / cosplay / OCs are not really things I am interested in. I find younger people understand what I am talking about if I make the reference, though.

8. None of the people in real life who saw my dolls ever tried to connect them to anime. Although my dolls did look a bit ''anime-like'' (they were Dollmore Eve and Adam dolls, their faces weren't particularly anime copies, and yet I thought they had something that echoed the anime drawing style). But maybe that's why people connect these two things? Because many of the BJDs DO look like anime characters. I would even say - they look like characters in Akemi Takada's paintings - even in her most realistic paintings and drawings you can see some anime style. And the same, in my view, goes for many even most-realistic BJD molds.

9. As someone who's never thought of bjd's being Japanese and had never had bjd's being related specifically to Japan. It doesn't really bother me :). For someone who got into bjd's through Dollfie dreams who are very obviously 'anime dolls' I don't think I would think anything about it. Like, I probably would correct someone if they thought all bjd's were Japanese or that a Korean company was Japanese but other than that, I don't know why people would immediately link bjd's with Japan as even though they're very popular there, most company's are Korean. I think bjd areas are mainly pared with Japanese events like J-con because a lot of people (like me) found bjd's through Asian things like anime, and many people who find them and like them already have a love for other Asian things like (again this is so me) anime and J-pop/K-pop (kpop is my life! :lol:).

10. Not for a long time whenever people make that first connection i get annoyed and usually say well these are made in korea and then i get less and less annoyed with time

11. Not at all, it's nothing to be upset about. After all, Volks and such, have a connection to anime, manga, cosplay...
      I generally do not like how 'outsiders' address all things Fandom/Japan anyways. They mix things up, don't understand them or have totally wrong expressions most of the time.