1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a guy doll having breasts?

Dec 12, 2010

1. Also besides the sex not equaling gender part (which is a very valid point), there is also something else to think about ...

Dolls are very flexible -- they are who we want them to be. So if a doll, no matter the gender of the body, is presented as a boy or a girl then that is what they are. If those parts are covered up and unnoticeable, then it's easy to simply imagine that they are not there. That is the beauty of both dolls and imagination. It lets you keep what works while setting aside the rest. I used to put more emphasis on having the correct genitalia for the character, however, as time has gone on and I never really did get into a lot of nude photography (like I had originally planned five years ago), that's faded. Instead I focus more on how the doll should look in clothes, since that's the state they're in 99% of the time around here.

2. One of my characters happens to like dressing in Lolita even though he is a boy. The doll I've choosen for him (Dikadoll-Leica) has a face that could be easily mistaken for a girl. So he would look good in either gender's clothing and I've even though about getting a female's body to make him 'more believable' girl when he's dressed in Loli. I haven't completely decided that, I just think I'll have to wait and see how it goes once I get him. So honestly it doesn't bother me and I've seen a few dollfies where the owners wanted a more 'girly' face for the boys and did just that and put a girl's head on a boys body. Plus I don't see any harm in asking an owner what the dollfie's story is that helped them choose to use a different gender body. Sometimes that's more interesting than the overall look of the dollfie itself. ;)

3. Firmly seconding this.

I wouldn't personally own a doll that I intended to represent a male-sexed character, but put it on a female body. Likewise, I would not own a doll that I intended to represent a female-sexed character, but put it on a male body. But once a body has been physically modified (breast removal, breast addition, penis removal/vulva addition, penis addition) to switch it from the original sex to a different sex, I would no longer consider it the original sex. I would be perfectly comfortable having a male-sexed character doll on a body that was originally female, but had been physically modified to be male, and vice-versa. And I would also be perfectly comfortable having a female-sexed but male-gendered character on a female body, or a male-sexed but female-gendered character on a male body.

Not only are gender, sex, and sexuality separate (despite the interactions between them), they are also far more complex than the simple male-female binary that has become the normal expectation in much of Western (which I personally define as Judeo-Christian and Islamic) society.

At the moment, I have one doll whose gender/sex identity can be hard for some people to wrap their heads around (as evidenced by not only my own frustration when determining whether I should use he/him or she/her in any given moment when referring to this doll, but also by the number of people who questioned my body and modification choices when I put the doll together). This doll, Hideo, is bi-gendered, female-sexed, and bisexual (with a general preference for female sexual partners), but appears to be physically male unless the genitals are visible. The best way to achieve this was to remove the penis from a male body, but leave it otherwise male. And I am completely satisfied with the end results of these modifications. I also have a male doll who, because of the height and general build I wanted him to have, is on a female body that has been modified to be male. This does not make him any less male in my mind, and the character remains male-sexed, male-gendered, and bisexual. I also have a male doll that came from a company that did not put genitals on its dolls (the "tenshi" or "angel" body), and while I would have been totally comfortable having the body remain that way for a completely asexual doll, the character in question was supposed to be male-sexed (also male-gendered and homosexual), and so the body has been modified to reflect that (a penis was added).

TL;DR - I want the bodies of my dolls to match the intended physical sex of my dolls. I'm fine with modification to achieve that, if necessary. But I don't like it when the two don't match up.

4. Aside from the "Huh?" moment if the boy doll has very visible breasts, I don't think I would mind it that much. You have dolls that are angels without wings, demons without horns or vampires without fangs (or glitter ;) ). A boy without a penis may still be a boy just like a police officer wearing a fire fighter's uniform may still be a police officer. It may be confusing, but I see no harm in confusing looks for dolls.

5. *shrug* I have a Dollzone Mo with a bearded faceup who happens to be a female-to-male transsexual drag king on a female body.

I'm not totally understanding the OP, if "all" male heads on female bodies are somehow "wrong."

6. I think it's only confusing for those who may not be used to transgendered or transvestite humans. I personally like the idea of a boy with breasts, insert shrugging emoticon here.
      The one thing that drives me a little nuts is when you might comment on a doll who is dressed as a female and when you say "oh she's lovely" the owner glares at you and says "It's a boy!".
      When a transgender or transvestite person is in femme regalia it is considered rude to address them as a male. So, if you want your doll to be called "He" don't put him in a petticoat. Or at least don't get mad.

7. People need to have their doll anyway they want it. If that is the way they want it, its fine by me.

8. I don't care what people do with their dolls, but I do have to say that that statement always bothers me. :|
      Sex doesn't equal gender identity, but the words sex and gender mean the same thing. Physically male or female. You can identify differently, but that doesn't change what you physically are x_X;
      Sex = gender, but sex =/= gender identity.

9. This.

Personally I want to know: does what you think about other people's dolls and what owners do with them effect the way you enjoy the hobby? I would love to make this a topic some day. =/

10. The only thing I can think of what would bother me is the owner getting mad at me for calling him a her, lol.
      But yeah, in general I do assume it's a girl if it has breasts (which can be expected if you give a male doll breasts, just as much as when you put a male doll in a long dress and wig). I haven't actually seen this yet tho, or I have and didn't realise it was a boy?
      Personally tho, I wouldn't want a male on a female body (or at least without sanded boobs and such), because he wouldn't be male to me. If the owners feel they are male, then they are male to them, right? :B

11. Do it! Based on the sheer number of "does it bother you when X does Y to dolls" threads you should get some interesting answers.

No, it doesn't bother me. If you wanted to give your doll 5 boobs and tentacles for arms it wouldn't bother me. Personally if I was going to create a male doll from a female body I'd sand off the boobs.

12. This sounds like a highly awesome doll.

13. What people do with their dolls is their business, and I don't care if its the worst sharpie-faceup-sockwearing-puffpaint doll out there. I may hate it, but it is NOT my doll, does not live in my house, and I don't have to look at it. But since this an opinion debate I will give you my opinion: I hate it. I don't like the way it looks, and it seems silly to me. However, I am not "bothered" by it. I am not going to cry or rant or tell people how horrible their doll looks or lose sleep over it.

I respect people's right to do whatever they want to their own property. If I don't like it, I simply won't comment on it. But like it was stated previously there may be many many reasons why the doll is in such a situation, intentional or not.... so I can't judge.

14. This is in some ways true, but the actual evolution of the words is more complex. In recent years the term "gender" has become divorced from the term "sex" in academic discourse (and increasingly, in non-academic discussion as well). While "gender" was a term originally used to distinguish different forms of grammar (in gender-specific languages), "gender" now refers to the socially perceived characteristics that indicate the sex of an individual (which is connected to the psychological "gender identity," and the two are often used interchangeably despite the potential inaccuracy of such a substitution), and "sex" refers specifically to the physical configuration of an individual's body. Despite this, there has been a tendency in the United States (in the last two decades, anyway) for official government documents to use the term "gender" in place of the word "sex," which further contributes to the confusion over the differentiation of the two terms.

Simply put, if a person who is female dresses as a male and is able to do so convincingly enough that those around them cannot discern that they are in fact female-sexed, then they are socially male-gendered (this is true whether or not their psychological gender identity is male or female).

15. I actually thought about doing this. I was gonna get a girl doll, and sand away the little breasts she has and mold boy bits with epoxy.

I don't have a problem with it at all.

16. I'm trying to imagine what the OP is speaking of, a "male" head on an unmodded female body? Say an Iplehouse Akando head on Jessica's body?

I certainly wouldn't assume it was a male, having several FtM mods, I always ask as everyone always has to ask me. If Mr. Akando needs a large bust to be what he's intended to be, that's perfect. Who am I, or who is anyone to say? He (she?) is not ours. I think "Well done" more so than "What are you doing?".

I don't have any boy mods that have breasts and a vagina, they are boys, just less bulky and more curvy boys. Their gender as well as their sex are male but that is not the case with every doll. I've been in the hobby for quite a while so unique dolls that really showcase a different side to humanity are beloved by me. I hope to see more dolls that make people post threads like this in curiosity!

17. To each his own. If someone wants to do it, more power to them.

I just finished a (not doll-related) project that was an 'angel' -- sexless, technically, but designed with a collection of body shapes from what might be considered 'very male' to 'very female' in silhouette. The faces are on a similar continuum, and are made to mix and match. It was a fascinating project to work on, really, and reflects certain body types I'd love to experiment with for dolls, too.

18. Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I must clarify. I DO NOT THINK IT IS WRONG TO PUT A MALE/FEMALE HEAD ON A FEMALE/MALE BODY. I have seen many things in this hobby and I love everything I've seen so far. This one just kinda bugs me.

It's just when people do it, like putting a a really very feminine head[intended to be a boy] on a girl body and then saying he's a boy. I will try to look at the [chest/groin]parts where there are supposed to be nothing there but there are! I just cannot stop thinking it's a girl. Then I cannot enjoy the photos anymore.

And no. I will not randomly PM the owner and says it's 'wrong' cause it's their doll and it's not my business what they do with the doll. I just feel a bit "um" why cant you put it on a boy body or find a different body instead?

ONCE AGAIN. I do not mean to offend anyone at all, just would like to hear some comments on how people think about this and it has been enlightening.

19. I can understand your feelings. I remember the first time I came across a hermaphradite doll....I was a bit shocked and felt a bit uncomfortable at first. Reason? Because it was something I wasn't used to...plain and simple. My honest reaction was nervousness when viewing the doll. Then I began seeing VERY masculine dolls dressed as females, and again I was blushing and almost peeking at them through my fingers (the way you do when you're a kid and you see a scary or slightly naughty film)

However, I no longer get that shocked feeling because I've seen a few .......the shock value is gone for me. I never had issues with the owners choices however......I realized it's something they like and that is good enough for me.

I'm a pretty open minded person so not much gets me ruffled (except rudeness). If a male doll with breasts starts giving me the finger and shouting obscenities at me...I'd probably give him the finger back and get a little ruffled though.

20. Well that's sort of true. There is male futanari, with mostly male characters with vagina's. And most female futanari that I've seen have testicles and no vagina. And whether or not they have massive penises will depend on the person doing the drawing. I've seen equal shares of both. Just my two cents.

I guess I should at least attempt to answer the original question. In short, no it doesn't bother me, for many of the reasons already brought out. I don't really care what people do with their stuff, and often times what they do do is very interesting. I also happen to find male dolls in girly clothes attractive. But I'm heavily into fashion and often times my favorite pieces or designs are for women and I often wonder what a guy would look like in something similar.