1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a guy doll having breasts?

Dec 12, 2010

1. People have given a few answers to this question:
      -They don't have the money at the moment to buy a boy body.
      -They haven't found the right body yet.
      -The boy body is in the mail, but hasn't arrived yet.
      -They haven't modded the female body to look more masculine, but plan on doing so.
      -They haven't modded the female body to look more masculine, because they don't want to mod the body (too scary/too much work/not worth the trouble if the doll is going to wear clothes 24/7).
      -They want to have the male character to have a female body.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other reasons.

To be honest I've had a boy head that was intended to be a male doll on a female body. In this particular case I had one male character's head and one female character's body at home. I made one doll with the two parts, because having a floating head and a headless body next to each other is silly. The male character was "baby sitting" the other character's body until their own body and head had arrived. ;)
      A lot of times I've put floating heads on bodies that were not meant for that head. Often the body type wasn't right for the head or the resin didn't match at all, but sometimes you just want to play with your doll and see how the head will look with a body.

2. FREAKING AWSOME period i wish i could get my boy breast implants

3. I simply don't have a problem with it. It is your doll and more power to you. If I see a boy on a female's body I'm personally inclined to hear the story behind them. No matter if it's simple as 'his body hasn't come yet' or to the complex ranges of a backstory; I like to hear things of that sort. Who am I to judge a male doll with breasts and female genatalia? Do what you wish and don't worry about what other people think. If you love your doll, then that's all that really matters.

4. I would be totally up for that, that is a very thought provoking subject.
      Not only do others dolls influence me, but they do influence the way I enjoy the hobby, you should start it.

Why when I read this thread do I keep hearing the song from "The Crying Game"?

5. You're not the only one! ;)

6. It wouldn't bother me if someone did have a male character shelled in a female body...but I really would have to caution the person who would want to do this that other people really, really won't know that your boy is supposed to be a boy if he has a feminine face (as most BJDs seem to do) and feminine curves. People have a lot of bother convincing others their boys are boys as it is without the confusion of boys on female bodies as well.

I agree with the points that others have made though, that it's entirely up to the person what they do with their dolls. A male doll with a female body might be a transman and there's a perfectly logical reason why he would be physically female, but be masculine in all other respects. If it would bother you though that someone else might think your doll with a female body is a girl, it might be a better idea to just get a male body for your doll and skip any potential hurt feelings down the road if someone mistakes your dolls gender.

7. I suppose it's because I know a FtM, and research gender and sex alot, but it's completely normal to me. Sex and gender aren't the same. I don't mind if my boy/girl is on a girl/boy body (respectively) if it's in their character. Others shouldn't worry what's in my doll's pants if I'm not showing it off. ^^

8. Wait...I feel like we've suject jumped all of a sudden (in a good way perhaps) I *thought* we asked how an average person felt about a male doll having female breasts.

Now, with Jessica's response, it seems we've switched it to mean *it okay for your boy/girl doll to be called a girl/boy because it has female/male characteristics* :)

What a different conversation that might be. :)

9. As someone who has had a boy doll with a girl's body for a time I thought I should answer the whys in my case. I bought an Angelregion Diana intending to make her a boy. There is no story about him once being a girl or being transgendered or anything like that. I simply wanted a short, younger looking boy and the girl body is 1cm shorter than the boy body and well, the head I wanted was just easier to get on a girl's body. I did consider trading the girl body for a boy body, but after seeing the body I liked the height and I liked how it looked younger and less toned than the male body, plus the hips aren't really curvy either. It took me a little time to get up the courage/time to sand down the chest so there are photos of him with breasts. Through this time I did refer to him as him/he and I did make a few comments about how he was not happy about having breasts. I have never and will never sculpt him a penis though. I just don't care that much. To me, he is a boy even without it. I don't intend to take nude photos anyway. Oddly enough he's the one most people call a boy straight off and my DOT that is actually on a boy body is almost always first thought to be a girl. I just laugh it off.

Really so long as you aren't flipping out when your boy with boobs is being mistaken for a female, its cool. Its the ones putting boys in dressing and getting offended I have problems with, but that's a whole other discussion.

10. It hasn't really changed the debate, it's just a word of caution :) People are very attached to their characters and the dolls those characters represent. If you know you're the type of person who would take it personally and feel very hurt if someone calls your boy doll a girl, it probably isn't a good idea to give him a body with an obviously feminine shape because that's not giving anyone a helpful clue that your boy is a boy and they are much more likely to call him a girl if he's got obvious breasts.

There are some situations that pretty much call for you to have a male doll on a female body though; if your male doll is a castrato, it would probably be advantageous to have a softer, more feminine body for him because castrati had a more feminine distribution of body fat and a ripped masculine, MNF A-line style body wouldn't be quite right.

11. Plenty of real men have breasts, wide hips, and/or genitalia that usually is associated with women, so I can't say it bugs me. If a doll owner says their doll is a boy, I'll call it a boy, even if it's on a girl body. :3

12. This. Although if there was no good reason or explanation (such as the character being transgender) I might be a bit confused or wonder what the point was.

13. Boys as crossdresser......fine by me ......but boys with breasts??? hmmmmm not for me i guess!!!

14. It's really the owners decision what they do with their doll. I personally am looking at a boy doll that has a face I'd LOVE for my girl doll. So I plan on buying him and a girl body on the side so I can just change the body and have a girl :)

Nothing wrong with it. If you really look at some of them, the boys could really pass as a girl ;)

15. There's actually quite a few conditions out there where chromosomal males or females will develop the genitalia (and be mistaken for at birth) of the opposite sex. Not to mention intersex individuals (although, from what I faintly remember from Biology, they don't typically have the genitals ((including breasts)) of both being perfectly formed, but don't quote me on that).

So, if it happens in people, I don't see why it can't happen in dolls. I would love to have a doll of one of my favorite models, Roger Garth (an intersex individual with a gorgeous feminine face and masculine torso).

16. I see guys with breasts all the time-- all it takes is a day of crowd-watching at Disneyland, or the beach, or any Six Flags park in the country. Big fat sloppy manboobs on guys who wear XXXXL tent-shirts & fannypacks & bermuda shorts with no discernible waistline. I do not think this is an attractive look that I'd want any of my dolls to emulate, but of course I do not think those are the kind of breasts you mean. It's just, y'know, we've all got 'em.

Re the specific gender-insecurity-freakout topic at hand, no-- I would not feel at all strange about seeing a boy-sculpt on a female body with breasts, any more than I would feel strange about seeing a flat-chested girl. If those breasts happen to be part of that male, then where's the argument? Besides: Many male sculpts make absolutely gorgeous female dolls, lovely faces with the strength that's lacking in so many female sculpts. Likewise, many female sculpts make gorgeous boys and men, when a softer or younger look is desired. With all the dolly androgyny & diversity out there that we have available to work with, why not use it?

As for that tiiiiiiired, tired old saw about "if you want to put a boy-doll in a dress, why not just get a girl-doll?" = BECAUSE IT ISN'T THE SAME THING. Girl doll in a dress = yawnsville. Big deal, she's wearing a dress, she's toeing the line and fitting the Formula, who cares? Boy doll in the same dress = OK wow, what's his story...?

I for one would get a tremendous charge out of seeing that. :chocoberry I once put my Volks Isao head on a borrowed Dollfie Dream XXL body one day, just for fun, and even with that stern manly-cheekboned face, Mr. Queen-For-A-Day turned out really pretty hawt. ^^

(Also, your sanded-down-girl-body Sooah-boy is one of my top favorite genderbenders of all time!... Zero says hi. <3)

How about "just because"? Or how about "because it looks best that way"? Does everything we do to our play-things have to have a 'point' or a 'mission' or a 'purpose' that others must be able to understand at a glance? And who gets to decide what's a "good reason" for doing anything, anyway?

17. Lots of people mod the bodies. They sand off the breasts and the vagina "slit" and possibly even sculpt an epoxy penis on.

18. To me it seems a waste. Why bother going through all the trouble of modding? Just buy the darned body of the appropriate sex. It's probably cheaper and saves time. Also, don't get offended when your boy doll with boobs is called a girl--if you're in a culture where only women typically have boobs. Maybe somewhere like Thailand with a high number of transgendered people it wouldn't be an issue, but in most of Europe and America boobs=woman.

As an anthropologist I feel the need to comment on gender. Gender is a cultural construction--that is, what one culture views as feminine, another may view as masculine. Gender is not equal to biological sex. Biologically, if you have male reproductive organs you are a male. If you have female reproductive organs you are female. A female may choose to live as a man, and a male may choose to lives as a woman. It doesn't change their biological sex, only their gender. As of right now, sexual reassignment surgery cannot change your biological sex. In no way can reproductive parts of a male be placed into a female and vice versa. You can have breasts, be trans-gender, and still be biologically male but living as a woman. That's fine by me. It happens world over. The conundrum comes in with those that are more multisex (sometimes with tons of extra chromosomes or even both types of reproductive organs). If you want to be complicated and create a multisexed character, go right ahead. Nothing wrong with that. You've put in enough thought and effort to come up with that sort of character, which gender they will choose to live as, etc.

Essentially, don't confuse biology with gender. They aren't the same thing. And it's your doll...if you want it to be "odd" in relation to your culture or society, do it, but don't get pissy at the resulting confusion.

19. Sometimes it's a matter of temporarily making due until a new body could be bought, but sometimes it's because a body of the opposite sex does have a feature that appeals to the owner -- think a softer looking guy with more rounded hips, A body sculpted to be a boy from the get go isn't going to have that look. Or you can flip that around in terms of wanting a thicker built body for a female (or one with more muscle tone, etc) so you go with a boy body. Sometimes to get what you want you have to mod or make due. Considering customization is big in this hobby, needing to do a mod isn't necessarily a turn off or waste -- for some it's fun and a bonding experience with the doll. Why buy a new body when you can mod an existing body to get closer to what you actually want? That seems like less of a waste to me, provided you're comfortable doing the mods of course. Sometimes modding isn't even all that necessary depending on how the doll is dressed.

You're also speaking as though the female body would have to have very noticeable breasts, but there are female sculpts whose breasts are quite small -- I know because I have several as I actually prefer smaller bust sizes on my girl dolls. In those cases, depending on how the doll is dressed, they wouldn't actually be noticeable (unless someone accidentally groped him :lol:). Some people do get silly when other people get their doll's gender confused, but many just brush it off. It's something that pretty much everyone deals with no matter what kind of body a head is on partly due to the way many abjd male heads are sculpted and partly due to assumptions made by nondoll people who tend to associate dolls with being female. It's no reason not to do something.

I agree completely -- the possibilities out there are nearly endless, and trying new head/body combos can be really fun and exciting. I went through a big head and body switcheroo this week, and it was a blast. I found myself happier with some of my dolls when I reassigned their gender... and my Serendipity boy body makes a really cute cuddly body for a girl, lol.

20. I am one of the few male members on DoA, and I can say that man-boobs are something I personally do not want, but I can see them on a doll. I had this friend in the 1980's, Dede who was inter-sexual, meaning that she was male but could pass as a man or a woman, just sort of naturally. It would be interesting to have a doll with that same magic.