1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a guy doll having breasts?

Dec 12, 2010

1. Im very open minded when it comes to gender, so if someone said this is my doll, its a he (and its on a female body), Id be like, oh OK cool. Id be interested in the story behind it.
      Its a bit like someone showing me a male doll and saying 'hes a wolf'. Doll characters versus their resin shells have tendencies to be poles apart.
      Such is life etc etc.
      Go for it!

I agree with the above post, Im male and I wouldnt want moobs on my doll as thats not something I ever want to face myself! But maybe if its a male doll with female breasts ala Genesis P Orridge, who still identified as male...interesting!

2. ???? Clearly you haven't been to the West Village lately.
      And JennyNemesis, I believe the correct term now is "moobs".
      Kidding.
      Damn it. Now I want an Akando with Jessica's uber-stripper body, dressed in a sock. Damn you Den of Angels!

3. Um no I haven't been to West Village, so I'm curious as to how this relates to my post? *honestly curious and wonders if it's something she doesn't really want to know*

4. Hmm....I can agree with this and understand where you're coming from. I also agree it's no reason not to do something, and I never said it wasn't. In fact, I was quite in support of it! ^_^ I just feel like people get all huffy and offended over gender confusion when it's something intentionally done, I guess. In terms of modding, I suppose I can see why it may be more cost effective to some to mod a girl into a boy, but I still don't see the purpose in intentionally buying a girl to turn into a boy. I'm probably dense that way. XD

5. Why does anyone need a purpose beyond "because I want to"? It's a lump of resin, if someone wants to mess with it's perceived gender, I really don't understand why they need any more of a reason than the fact that they wanted to in the first place. I don't see the purpose in NEEDING a purpose. To quote JennyNemesis from earlier:

6. Someone's male character may be a very sylphlike guy with smaller, slighter limbs; narrow shoulders; pigeon chest; dainty little hands. You don't get that with boy doll bodies, even the skinny ones. Even the non-beefcake male-doll bodies have broader shoulders, thicker arms, bigger hands, & a little more muscle definition... all of which would be undesirable for that specific character, as it creates the wrong shape.

In such a case, the only thing that would be a "waste" is buying a male body, & just tolerating that shape that you don't want your character to have. It'd be a waste of money, and it'd be a waste of the time you spent living with the wrong item that isn't perfect for you. After all, you're spending X-hundred bucks on a doll body-- why not get the right one? It would be so much less waste to buy & modify a female body.

Friend of mine made a hybrid doll on an SD13 Boy body that she was happy with in every way, except the arms-- her guy is supposed to have little hands and thin arms, and Volks boys are just a lilbit beefy. So she bought SD13 Girl arms & hands, and put them on the SD13 Boy torso, and now she is happy. <3

Someone else's "need" may not make sense to you-- but it doesn't have to.

7. Actually, this brings up a good point. All these cultural assumptions are going to be based heavily on where you live and what you're exposed to. So while it may be common in the West Village, it certainly isn't common in Nebraska. While it may be common to accept all sorts of combinations in the West Village, I'm considered to be fairly open minded in Nebraska.

8. A couple people have mentioned there's a difference between "sex" and "Gender". I'll be using those terms as separate descriptions in my brief opinion.

What people do with there own dolls is their business. If they want to have their boy gender doll on a female sex body just because they like the look, then more power to them. :P

For my dolls, I need the gender and sex to match their story. So my male gender are male sex, my female gender are female sex, and my cross-sex/genders are cross-sex/gendered! I don't like my dolls to have the wrong sex for no better reason than "I liked the look of body". If I wanted a boy who was very feminine, I would like to have the sex modded to be a boy down there so that my boy would truely be a boy. I have no problem with a boy gender being on a girl sex (and the other way around) but if they have the opposite bits, there must be some justification in their story. But that's just me!

I hope that wasn't too confusing. :P

EDIT: I may have misunderstood the prompt. I understood it as "What do you think of dolls who have the opposite sex of their gender simply because the owner likes the look more?" I'm not sure how I came to this now looking back through the posts, but I'm going to leave it up anyway!

9. I guess if you want the girl to be tomeboy-ish I would guess that you would get her with small breast,and a boy with a less musculare body.

10. :/ There is absolutely nothing cool about an FTM body. If the doll is a boy, have the decency to give him the body he identifies as. The body can be modded to have no breasts and the penis can be added in. Leaving the boy doll head on an obviously and unquestionably girl body is cruel to the character.

Being transgendered is not a fashion statement, a fetish, or a silly quirk. People die over this stuff, I know I am taking this way too seriously in regards to dolls. But to be honest putting a boy in a girls body is the same as the people who draw scars and bruises on their dolls, acceptable but morally ambiguous.

11. Since the character the doll embodies exists only in the mind of the owner, I fail to see how this would be "cruel" to the doll if the owner is the one making this body choice. As has been mentioned before, there are a lot of reasons why a male doll head ends up on a female body. Maybe the owner isn't skilled enough to create what she envisioned, maybe it's temporary, or maybe the owner just doesn't care what you think. The nice thing about the internet is that it's gone with a click of a button. And *poof* there you are in your own space with your own dolls and no one is telling you what to do with your own stuff.
      You've packed a lot of emotionally charged words into a very brief statement. How is modifying one's doll "morally ambiguous" and who are you to say that anyone here is creating a transgendered doll because they wanted the character to have a "silly quirk"? There is a difference between taking the subject seriously and being judgemental.

12. Obviously a doll owner will not care what I think. They spent the money and have the right to do what they like, but this thread specifically asked us our opinion. Mine was very harsh. People here who mentioned "Dick-girls", futanari, that imply this sort of association of a sexual fetish with the transgendered condition. And yes I do think it's cruel to put a specifically boy character in the wrong body, the whole point of being transgendered is that you are trapped in a body that isn't yours. The pain and suffering transgendered people go through is because they can't have the right body, but a doll can easily be fixed. But dolls don't have feelings or opinions, so painting lacerations on a doll and photographing a doll in macabre settings isn't wrong at all, but still the implication of abuse are a little iffy, nothing to cry about though.

13. But what if the character your doll represents IS transgendered, and is a character in some specific story you have that, among other things, focuses on the issues of being a transgendered man in the world of today where SOME body modification is possible, but isn't available to everyone (and even then, some people choose not to go through with surgeries and hormonal treatments for a variety of reasons)? (And also ignoring the myriad of other possibilities that are completely unrelated in any way to the issues of being transgendered and more connected to the circumstances of the time, i.e. not having a male body or the money to buy one to put said male head on., etc.) I mean, that's kind of like saying that artists/writers/filmmakers should never ever create transgendered characters because as fictional figments of imagination you CAN connect their gender to their sex to prevent unnecessary suffering of.... someone that doesn't exist?

I understand your complains and concerns about fetishizing, I find it rather distasteful and disrespectful (though I think it's a lot more rampant with gay male dolls), but there is absolutely nothing wrong, morally or otherwise, in tasteful, accurate portrayal of the REALITY of life for certain individuals (be they transgendered, or gay, or whatever else). If anything, it's beneficial because it may even be an eye-opener for some people who are otherwise sheltered from encountering people in these situations and raise awareness for the cause.

14. Ok, I don't get it, why can't a character be in flux? Or settled that way for that matter? And personally I know M to F transvestite/trans-gender humans who still have their penis and they are not miserable, that is what they have chosen. They have jobs, they have relationships, they have families and they are entitled to live in their own choice of body and sex. They are not dying over it. They are living.
      Also, why not have a doll that embodies a fetish?

15. Let me get this straight: If somebody has a FTM or androgynous character, but the doll has a male head-sculpt, you think the owner should put it on the wrong body [unmodded male].... simply to suit your own personal thresholds of squickout?

If so, that is digusting.

</ignore-list+1>

16. Lols...see that's the EASY part... girl bodies tend to be petite and lithe and shapely...like little dancers or gymnasts....i want a girl body that has all the OTHER things that are traditionally 'girly'...thick hips, big booty, soft middle....and then i wanna slap a weewee on one of THOSE to make MY boy char...he's girly and chunky anyway...just not easy to come across that kind of design in this hobby lol

as to male to female, female to male, etc etc. meh. who cares. as long as they're not chopping the boobs or willies off of MY dolls, i'm ok with anybody's modding endeavors.

17. This hobby is a creative outlet for a very many people, and like most creative outlets, can be used as a form of self-therapy. A couple of my dolls' characters are genderqueer, in one way or another - Miyuki is intersexed, but identifies as female; Thalatta has a female body, but identifies and neither male nor female; Daphne is female, but crossdresses as a man for her career. And I have plans for a doll who is very, very, very obviously female, but identifies as male.

All of these characters are bright, vibrant characters with backstories that, while not always realistic (I am a fantasy/sci-fi nerd at heart, naturally!) are entertaining. It's not a matter of "Hurr it would be COOL to have a transgendered character!", it's a matter of wanting to explore these issues, wanting to delve into them and really create a character that hits home. I like to theorize and see what a character dealing with these issues would do if different technologies were available. (Daphne, for instance, comes from a semi-sci-fi setting, and has a piece of equipment implanted in her voicebox to alter her voice to a more masculine timbre. But I've done "what-if" pieces with her, and if this technology weren't available she probably would have undergone traditional hormone treatments. But I digress.)

More importantly, the more I play with these characters, the more I come to terms with my own gender identity struggle. Having these characters, each with their own issues and their own motivations and their own take on the question of sex-versus-gender, has made me think about my gender identity and where I fit in, when I don't feel like I fit in at all.

I suppose the character is more important than the doll, in the end, but having the doll is what's helped me develop these characters. and if I had stopped to let myself be confined to a simple sex-must-match-gender regiment with the dolls, I would never have made the progress in my own life that I have.

18. I think enough people have given examples that show it's not "easily fixed" for some.
      What does a boy body cost these days? I think you can find one for $150, but that may still be a lot of money for some. Money they would rather spend on bills, food, gifts for family members or friends, etc. especilay when they already have a body for their doll. Maybe they like the girl body they have much more than the affordable bodies.
      I've crossdressed one of my girl dolls and people called her a boy. She has the large breasted torso offered by the company that made her, so (big) breasts don't have to get into the way of pretending your doll is a boy.

19. And so what if someone does it plainly for a fetish or because they would think it's cool. I'm not really sure how that's hurting the doll or anyone else. I'm not sure why someone needs to have some deep philosophical background that'll make doing it a-ok either. (No offense to those who might have one.) What other people do with their dolls is their business, how others interact with their dolls is their business. And no one was saying being transgendered was a fetish. Someone mentioned making a futa doll, someone asked what that was, someone else explained.

20. My thoughts exactly.