1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Throw the dolls old clothes away?

Apr 21, 2010

1. I don't even throw my clothes out!! There's always
      a use for them or someone else less fortunate who would
      accept gently loved things....so why on earth would you ever
      throw out doll clothes?? Please send some to me! :lol:
      But seriously, I have to agree, sell them or give them to another
      doll person (like me! lol) there's enough things filling land fills, no
      need to throw out doll items just because you no longer want them
      or find them appealing anymore ;)

2. If an item is totally at the end-of-life stage, you can mail them to a textile recycler.

3. I remember hearing that a long time ago, rags and old clothes were bought in order to pulverize it for making paper. I guess you could recycle it like that?

A lot of doll clothes that I make, or that I plan to make are generally recycled from clothes that I have already worn considerably. Seeing as how it's not only hand-made/low quality (I am terrible at sewing and many of the fabrics are thin from use), but doubly recycled... I don't think I'd feel comfortable trying to sell that to someone or even give it away.

Clothing from companies or from commissioners/professionals though is a different story. Those are generally much high quality goods than something I could make myself, and go through less wear-and-tear. A lot of people look for a specific outfit from a company and they are quite happy to find one, even if it is used. Small signs of wear can be fixed or aren't a big deal to some people. I think that it's great to sell or give away something like that, but for me personally, not something I made myself.

4. When I want to get rid of doll clothes I offer them up to my friends to clothe their incoming dolls. I've never had anyone say no to free stuff! XD

5. They don't have very many, but no matter how old they are I usually keep them. On rare occasions I'll sell something that isn't being worn.

6. You could always buy more dolls to wear them.....

;)

7. ^ I like the way you think, clochette x

I wouldn't throw old doll clothes away. I'd revamp them, instead! It's amazing how a few pretty trims and notions can bring new life to old clothes.
      Even if the clothes are old and threadbare, you could shred them and use them as filling for one crafty project or another.

8. It depends what the clothing was (IE Company or Handmade). Company clothes even with some wear and tear I wouldn't throw unless it was beyond saving and I know how to save quite a few things. If it's something I've made I have no problem throwing it out. I can always make it again. If a friend made an outfit and it got super damaged I can get it made again.

9. If the clothes are decently made and still in good shape, I hang on to them. I put them away in my "someone may need this someday" box. I do the same with spare wigs and eyes that don't suit my crew.

Why? Well, every once in awhile someone will come along who has a first doll incoming (or already in-hand-) but nothing for that doll to wear... It shipped quicker than they expected, or they didn't have the funds to buy an outfit, or whatever... If I happen to have a few things in my box that I think would fit that doll, I'll send it to them as a gift. 'Sort-of as a stop-gap solution while they get the doll's "real" wardrobe together.

Doing that is not only less of a bother than trying to sell the items (Which, let's face it, aren't likely to go for much given the current economic situation-), but it's also just a kind thing to do for another collector.

10. Unless they're falling apart and full of holes, i don't throw things out, and even then if it's that bad maybe it's rag usable or can be made into wrist bands or something. If it's decent and just not my thing anymore or doesn't fit how I like - I sell it or you can offer it free with shipping for new dolls owners. I hate throwing stuff out if there is a way to use it myself or for other people.

11. If I couldn't sell doll clothes/etc. I would probably just give them away for free at a meet-up. Who knows, maybe some newbie to the hobby could use some for his/her new doll.

12. I've either sold, traded or given them away. No need to throw them away!

13. I wouldn't throw them away unless they really were no good for use as anything anymore. If they were nice enough and in good shape I'd sell them, if I didn't want to go to the trouble to sell them I'd offer them for free or throw them in as gifts in things I ship out. Even if I couldn't get rid of them any other way I'd stick them in the Goodwill donation box and let them deal with it. They'd have to be literally trashed for me to throw them away.

14. I still have some of my own clothes I haven't fit into in ten years! Why would I get rid of my doll's clothes just because they don't wear them for a while?

Besides, they might fit/suit another doll at some point.

And if I really *had* to have a clearout - they can be sold or given to people whose dolls will use them.

Teddy

15. I'll bring them to meetups sometimes if we're having a swap, and I've traded some stuff with a friend of mine. I have a big bag I keep all the clothing I want to pass on in. One of these days I might go ahead and put the nicer items up on DoA to sell, but I haven't gotten around to it.

16. Definitely a waste to toss them. Either make them into new clothing with the old ones or sell them to buy new clothing. :D

17. I sell, trade or give my doll clothes to people that can use them. The last doll that l sold on here l added the clothes with the doll. I still have some clothes left so l'm going to use them for the new doll.

18. well, I will try to sell them at first as I also think it is a waste to throw them away,
      If I cant sell them out. I will try to give it to my friends or just keep it at the bottom of clothes box....as I am not good at throwing goods away - -;

19. don't throw them out, you could put them up for sale here, even asking to make an offer...there are MANY people on here that are new to the hobby that can't afford much for their dolls at first and would love a real bargain. or you could offer them for free just pay shipping, offer them in lots of so many at a bargain price. Unless they are super poorly made, ripped beyond repair, there are alot of people that would take them off your hands.

20. I just keep them in a box, throwing them out seems like such a waste
      I really have no time to sell them so maybe I'll give them to people if/when I go to a meet.