1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To those Who Own Only or Prefer One Gender Over the Other

Jun 3, 2008

1. What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boy dolls. I've always found men to be generally prettier from an artist's standpoint. I think this is the reason i never liked barbie as a kid: lack of different male dolls. I've always been a tomboy, so dressing up girls never interested me much. I have more male friends and when it comes to kids (i had a summer job at a daycare) I am partial to boys I guess because they are simpler. I'm all about simplicity and I guess that's one of the things associated with males.

Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      Not really ask, but comment. One of my friends who also has dolls, calls my dolls the "Spoiled Sausage Fest" as a joke to point out that I always have more boys than girls (I actually have no girls ATM) and generally treat them better. My friends who aren't into dolls don't generally ask because all my boys generally are kinda ambiguous in terms of their faces so I guess they assume some are girls.

What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      I'd probably point out that i've never been girly and I like the ambiguous look of the girly boys. I joke that I'm kinda ambiguous myself because even though I have very feminine features, it's the only female thing about me. I have very, very short hair, dress kinda boyishly, and am generally boyish in personality. So naturally, I indentify with and prefer males.

Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference?
      Hardly. I was raised by my brother and my dad and had mostly male friends when I was little. Rather than playing barbies, I played with Transformers and pokemon. If anything, it's weird that I like dolls.

When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other?
      Very early on in my doll collecting. I bought a female doll first, but recieved the male doll in the mail before her. I bonded with him more and I think the preference stuck. I've never bonded well with any of my female dolls but when it comes to my boys it's never been a problem.

2. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Oh, girls, most definatly. I can't really say why, but I just have more girl characters.
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      No, not really.
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      I would just say that most of my characters are girls, so most of dolls(well, currently ALL of them..) are female.

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference?
      Not at all.
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other?
      I knew about it from the very start. The vast majority of the dolls I wanted where girls. Many of the characters I was making up for these dolls where girls.

3. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boy dolls than girls. Honestly I don't really know why but I think it's because boys/men have this thing to them that they ALWAYS have to be manly and I like to break that :) and in doll wise, I think boy dolls look...prettier? and for me it's hard to find a girl doll that makes me really excited

roleplay wise yes. Ever since I started writing about my characters and such people have asked me why I do boys and it's because when I got into roleplaying no one really let me play the girl xD So I got used to playing boys and that's that.

I would tell them that I like boys because I believe they're more fun x3

Kind of...yeah. I'd think I'd want more girl dolls since I am a girl myself...it makes me wonder...

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      Kind of recently when I looked at my future dolls and just all my characters overall...
      they're almost all boys xD!!

4. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boy dolls. Sometimes a girl doll will appeal to me though, but not very often.

No one yet; but at the moment I've only got one doll so I don't think there's "reason for suspicion" yet. ;)

I'd probably tell them about how when I was 12 my life ambition was that when I turned 18 and got the money I was going to Canada to get gender reassignment surgery to become a boy. But now I'd rather have little resin boys, plus resin boys are cheaper than gender reassignment.

I think they'd be more weirded out by the fact that I used to want to be a boy rather than own boy dolls.

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      Since I was really little, I always got along better with boys than girls. Although now I get along with both equally.

5. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? Boys, because it's a means for venting a psychological condition I'd rather not name.
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? No; but then again, I only have the one at the moment.
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? The same thing I just told you.
      4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? No. (See 2)
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? I discovered it long before I got into ABJDs - there's been a trend of male favourite characters for a few years now.

6. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      girls, the boys naughty bits freaked me out a bit to much. plus i 'like' girls irl ;)
      my brother makes fun of me about it, does that count?
      girls can wear more kinds of clothes with out having people call me a weirdo
      i think it's natural :D
      i've had 2 boys and 2 girls. i no longer have 2 boys but i still have 2 girls... that and i couldn't dress the boys after awhile XD

7. *Chimes in*

1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer females, actually.
      Not really.
      I love curves. I love curvy cars, I love curvy lines, I love curvy girls. Curves, baby, curves.
      Prolly not.
      I've been bisexual most of my life, but the love of curves has been a big deal to me for a great majority of my life. Men don't have curves. They're hard edges and straight lines. Not my cup of tea. And bishie boys? A great many I've seen don't have male anything to them. They're all far too pretty. In anime and manga, if there's a beautiful male, you can tell it's a male typically. With these dolls, I have such a hard time telling if they're male or female.

8. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? Neither, I like balance in my collection

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? They ask mostly why only Rhiannon has hand made clothes :lol:

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? Sorta kindly say it none of their business cause it's not

They already think I'm weird for owning a doll and buying dolls at 23 :sweat

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? I somewhat prefer girls over boys because I like the challenge of making body fitted dresses and tops and that's boring to do with boy dolls. Plus I'm much more accomplished at sewing gowns over anything else.

9. 1. What gender do you prefer and why?
      Females. I just find that most male dolls are too "pretty" for me.

2. Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      Not so far.

3. What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      See #1. :)

4. Do others think it's weird that you have this preference?
      Not that I'm aware of.

5. When & how did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      I've always had a lot more girl dolls than boys, even long before I got into BJDs.

10. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Girls. I don't know... they're fun to dress in big, poofy dresses and give long, curly hair. Of course... many people do that to boy dolls too... but I dono.

Nope

See #1

See #2

When I got bored trying to figure out how to dress boy dolls in a way that pleased me.

(butistillwantaglorydollluis :< )

11. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Boys, I've always preferred boys over girls....I am a girl so maybe I just like boys better.

Nah, but my bf thinks I should have more girls

I can think of better characters for boys I guess.

nah, most people think I'm weird because I have dolls hee hee

I am a tomboy myself. I have 3 boys and 1 girl. I've always babied my boys more than my girls. I also think that making shirts and pants is easier than dresses. Though, recently I've been bonding with my girl more.

12. This one's easy. :)

1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Boys. I have yet to find a girl sculpt I like enough to buy.
      Not yet.
      I...don't like girl sculpts from an aesthetic standpoint? Seems to make sense to me.
      Who cares?
      Just couldn't find a girl sculpt I liked. I have some girly-looking boys, but I just prefer the aesthetics of the male sculpts - and for all that I'm a CP lover, I ADORE looking at the very obviously male sculpts. Mmm Dollshe.

That is all.

13. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I prefer boys, although I'm not exactly sure why... Even people wise, I tend to talk to guys / hang out with guys more than girls. Just the way I am, I guess. :lol:

Hrm... nope, not that I recall.

I would tell them I prefer men all around. I hang out with guys more than girls. I get along with guys more than girls. I simply prefer guys.

If they do, they've never said so.

My first doll was a girl. I actually had a majority of girls for a while. But after that, I started buying only boys. I soon realized that all the molds I was interested in were boys. This year I sold my girls because I plan on sticking to only boys.

14. Man that's tough, but I'd probably say that I have a preference to boys. I just find the boy dolls so intriguing. I'm uber picky about my girl dolls. (I did finally find one that I liked though.) A friend of mine just asked me yesterday about my preference. I told her the same thing pretty much.

15. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Male! I love the opposite sex! haha

Yea.

That I just prefer looking at male dolls. Plus, I can see 'pretty' in male dolls too.

Nah, it's normal

Ever since I started watching anime and stuffs, all of my fav characters have been males and also tomboyish female characters.

16. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Guys. Not sure why, I just do.

Nope

Eh...that I don't know why?

Not really. I'm hardly weird in my preference ;p

Always did. Fav characters were always guys, my resin and pvc collection are all guys. I just seem to identify with them alot more.

17. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Males. Currently I have 7 males, 4 females. I have two Minimees on order (both male) and plan on at least 3 more male dolls and 1 or 2 female dolls. Not sure why but perhaps partly because I'm a tomboy at heart. I spent most of my childhood wanting boy's toys to play with and all the dolls were female (Ken doesn't count). I did play with girl dolls, but really preferred Lego, Micronauts and Star Wars figures.

My mom wondered why my first doll was a boy. She said I needed a girl (she didn't understand why I wanted a boy) and eventually got me one as a Christmas gift. Beyond that, nope, but then, most of the people who know about them are doll people and they don't need to ask. ;)

Dunno really. Probably something akin to "I'm a tomboy", "I'm attracted to/prefer males (heterosexual)" or "not enough boy dolls to play with as a kid"?

My mom did at first but my co-workers (females) had no problems with it. The male co-workers did though. I think the whole "anatomically correct" part scared them. :lol:

The first doll I ever laid eyes on was male and the first dolls I was attracted to (as in they screamed "bring me home") were both males. So, in retrospect, I guess from the very beginning.. :)

18. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Girls I think becouse I have grown up with boys, never had a sister or daughter
      NO
      I have grown up with boys, never had a sister or daughter
      NO
      I had 3 boys and couldn't bond with any of them :(.

19. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? Male. Manly dolls, not the pretty boys, lol... I'm just more attracted to the realism tied with the manlier BJD's- the veiny hands, the toned down abs and the slight muscle in the legs. I am an artist, I don't get to study guys that are in good shape very often in real life, but since I'm a girl I don't really need a female guide like I do for men. I like male slash, but none of my charas are gay.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I also tend to have more male friends than female.

Nope. :3

I prefer them aesthetically. And pretty much sum up everything I said in question #1.

No one has really asked. I have had 1 girl and 1 boy doll before so it was balanced.

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? After I got my first doll- a female. I loved her, but I didn't love her enough and wanted a male BJD ever since.

I always keep an eye out for a female doll just in case, but I don't see any that pleases me enough to go "OMG WANT" (excluding Unoa Lusis, gah, but I will never have one lol).

20. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I prefer boys. Currently I have 7 at home (2 are heads) Generally SD sized too though I do have minis. I have plans for one more boy and a mini girl ^^" The balance would likely be 1:9 in girl/boys ratio. I just like pretty boys. It's far easier for me to find a boy I like than a girl. I've only liked 3 girls so far and god knows how many boys.

Sometimes. Some ask me when would I be getting a little girl, there has been occasstions where I've been asked if I would dress my future little girl as a tomboy. Although I draw boys alot now so they don't find it strange that all my dolls are boys.

I've been drawing girls for many years, designing their hair clothes make up what not. In the last 3 years I've started drawing boys and reading a lot of manga with 'pretty' boys. So it highly influenced my drawing styles. So it's not surprising that during the same time I started wanting BJDs I came across more boys. If I had started collecting dolls about 4 years ago, it would have been girls dominated ^^ Also I'm a perfectionist when it comes to girls, boys don't have to be. So it's easier to work with boys if I'm not caught up with making them 'perfect'

not at all.

Right at the start when my entire wishlist was filled with boy molds, or girl turned boys and little shushu ;)