1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To those Who Own Only or Prefer One Gender Over the Other

Jun 3, 2008

1. I'm only interested in girl dolls. It might be because in all the other types of dolls I've collected, only girls were available but I think there's probably slightly more to it than that.

I think it has something to do with being able to identify more with them. I also prefer watching movies, reading books and playing video games with a female character. Unfortunately, women aren't represented as well in movies and games as they are in dolls!

It's an interesting question and I've enjoyed reading different answers to it!

2. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I don't know that I'd call it a preference, but at the moment most of my dolls are boys.

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      Nope.

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      I buy what I like, and most of the dolls I've liked in recent years have just happened to be boy dolls.

4) Do others think it's weird that you have this preference?
      I think people might be surprised, because when you hear someone refer to their doll collection it tends to conjure up images of a bunch of porcelain dolls in frilly dresses. I don't know if they'd think it was weird, necessarily.

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      A friend who knew I collected BJDs asked me if I planned on owning any boy dolls. I knew that most of my recent purchases had been boys, but it didn't really occur to me until then that I only had the one girl doll!

3. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      ​​I prefer girls because I find them more cute/attractive as dolls than their boy counterparts. Also, I think I prefer girls because I can live vicariously through them, fashion-wise. There are plenty of ways that you can dress as a girl, but I'm usually only comfortable wearing my style of clothes. This way I can dress someone in other styles that I find fun or cute.

I've just started the hobby, so no one's had the chance to notice yet.

What I said above.

Dunno yet.

Looking around at dolls for the first time I realized I had no attraction or desire to own the male dolls, but that didn't come as a surprise for me.

4. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boys because i can dress them up in stylish clothes and fawn over them aha but prolly i'm be getting some girl bjds soon coz i want to dress them up and fix their hair in loli curls.

No.

Same as above..

No its not weird.

Honestly speaking, soon if i have my own family and have a child of my own, i always prefered my first child to be a boy...

5. 1) What gender do you prefer and why?
      I prefer females dolls. I have a weird anxiety around most human men and I think it's kind of transferred to the doll world...haha :blush I just feel a little bit of discomfort when it comes to the male dolls for some reason...!
      No, but at the moment I have only my BJD (girl), a Blythe, and a few Monster High's so the preference is readily apparent, I guess.
      I don't really know lol I would probably make something up to cover up the real reason, at least till I get it sorted out in my own mind better!!
      Not that they've ever said! Though like I mentioned earlier they probably don't really know.
      5) When and how did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      I don't know when really, I guess when I first started looking at pictures of BJDs and dreaming about one day owning one. A male doll never seemed like a real possibility for me, it was always female.

6. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? I generally am attracted to male dolls because of their features (CP EL, DOT Ducan are my favourites), but female dolls are so pretty and easy to find clothes for!

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? Nope

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? I like whichever sculpt stands out to me.

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? Don't see why it should be considered weird.

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? When I was just starting out, browsing through different doll sites. I just kept looking at the boys. :sweat

7. I only own girl dolls, although I'm planning to get two or three boy dolls eventually. My best friend in the hobby has a huge collection of boys (and only 2-3 girls!), so we kind of balance each other out! We get together to do doll stuff often enough that neither of us really feels a need to close the gender gaps in our respective collections. It's a nice situation to be in.