1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To those Who Own Only or Prefer One Gender Over the Other

Jun 3, 2008

1. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      It seems that I like girl dolls the best. With 5 girls and 2 boys, that's pretty obvious. I find sewing for girl dolls more interesting than boy dolls, because the only male fashions I'm interested in are historical ones. I find most types of female fashion fun to make, though.

However, in some ways one of my boys is my favorite doll, if you don't count my first girl who will always be my favorite. He has such a peaceful, sweet expression and he's lots of fun to pose. If my dolls are in a group my eyes and hands always drift towards him, to admire and to re-pose. So I'm not so sure if I prefer one or the other, since Teddy is spoiled over the rest :P.

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference?
      No, not so far. Most of my BJD-collecting friends collect mostly girls or an even mix of the two, and the meets in town are populated by more female dolls than male.

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?
      Girls have prettier clothes than guys, for the most part XD.

4) Do others think it's weird that you have this preference?
      Nope. But I think some people find it strange that I might love my boy more than my Cristal, who is my favorite mold of all time painted by my favorite Volks artist. Sometimes I feel a little weird about that.

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?
      It took me three tries to just find a boy that would stick around here. I have a much better track record with girls, even though I've sold some of them too.

2. Dolls I own: 1 SD boy, 1 SD girl, 1 SD boy head modded into girl (will have body soon), 1 SD girl ordered, and 3 MSD girls on wishlist - no boy dolls anymore on wishlist)

1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      As you can see, I definately prefer girls. First of all, I like to sew clothes for my dolls, the same as I wear myself. And I don't want a boy dressing up as a girly girl, because then I could also buy a girl, right? (slightlygirly boys are fine for me ;) )
      Second.. I don't have any characters in mind for a second boy. And I don't have any ideas for boyish clothes.

No.. haven't had such questions yet.

I tell them the same as I did at point 1: don't have any clothing idea's for boys and don't want to turn a boy into a girly girl.

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference?
      No, I don't think so.

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other?
      I didn't really discovered it. I just knew. However, when I bought my Lu-Wen, at first I wanted them to be twin boys. But I couldn't get a clear image of the second boy's character and style. So then I decided to turn him into a her. And for the rest of my wishlist, I don't have any boys, only girls.
      I am still thinking that IF I'd buy a second boy, it would be a aristocratic/victorian era gentlemen. But still, I don't have a clear image of this (nor a character for a second boy) so I don't think this will happen.

3. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer male dolls, I don't quite know why. Also my writing and art have males as the focus.

No one has ever asked me about that.

That I just happen to find the male gender far more interesting.

No.

I knew about this since I was a child of about 5. Someone gave me a fashion doll and I gave it a beard and moustache and dressed it in boy's clothing. Of course the people who gave it to me were horrified and thought that I had ruined it and that I should not have been given such a 'nice' doll.
      But I loved it.

4. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Female, no question. I don't really have any interest in boy dolls.

Not yet.

I just prefer their faces, clothes, and hair. I wouldn't know what to do with a boy doll, but I have plenty of ideas for girls.

Probably not.

I never even thought about it, I always knew I liked girl dolls over boy ones.

5. 1) Prefer boys as they are more versatile in fitting unisex clothes(no need worry about boobs)

yes

yes..y not?

No..its just a preference..plus..I have more girls than boys since I'm easily persuaded by others..lol..

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? When I'm looking for an additional doll..I tend to be more interested in boyish dolls..

6. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer the girls over boys, mostly because I find the girls are easier to sew for.

Not really...I've had conversations with some friends, but nobody's outright asked about it.

See #1

Not at all. :)

Honestly, I never wanted boy dolls. All the dolls I fell in love with were girls. And yet, my first was a boy. ^^; Go figure :P hehe Since my first, however, my family has grown to 9 girls and 3 boys. I'm currently in the process of selling 1 boy, but looking for a body for one of the others. I might end up with another boy in the future, but right now I'm happy with my family of girls :D

7. I have a guy & 2 girls, and find I prefer the girls, mainly because I mostly like to make doll clothes & outfits, & girls' clothes are more interesting than guys', for the most part, IMO. Also you can do more with their hair, with jewelry, "makeup", etc. which you really can't with male dolls, since (if you're into historical repro) most cultures just didn't provide men with the same latitude fashionwise as they did/do women, for the most part.

I don't know. There's just something much more interesting about making a bouffant victorian ballgown than sitting & tailoring a black formal victorian man's suit. To me, at least.

And for some reason, men's things are more difficult to make than women's, for me.

Otherwise, no preference.

8. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer males without a doubt. I've always been a bit of a tomboy, more interested in playing video games with the guys than painting nails or whatever with girls. I've always related better to a guy and with guys, having grown up around several guys and not many girls. When I roleplay, I'll always play a male character, and I'm also a fan of the girly boys thanks to anime and manga.

Some people ask me about my preference, especially when I mention wanting to put my guy in a dress or something. The reactions are kind of funny.

Pretty much what I said in response to question number one: that I have always related better to guys and have always been a bit of a tomboy myself.

Some people do. I know a lot of people that think because I'm a girl, I should be playing with girl dolls, but I can't help that I prefer the guys. I don't mind though. Everyone has their own opinions on things.

I've known all my life that I prefer the male gender over female. Growing up around guys has caused me to become a tomboy, and I honestly wouldn't change for the world. I love having a bit of a boyish side, and I like that fact to be reflected in my dolls. Then of course when I discovered anime, I found out that I prefer the more feminine males. Guess that kind of balances out the tomboyishness.

9. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

boys, got a house full of 750 barbies. do you have any idea how many boobies that is? needed to counter it. and ken ain't cutting it ;)

yeah since my little guys look like girls but my big boy is def a boy.

the same as 1. :)

not really. like i said 750 barbies and ken is butt ugly. one walk through the house they get it.

one look at bjds when i started it was i want a boy and only boys. but my first was a girl and as time goes on i have found a few other girls i like and want but not any where near the boys. :) off the top my head here we have 4 boys 1 girl, planned we have 7 more boys and 3 girls. yeah that's a 11/4 boys win.

10. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Male, usually. I've never been friends with many females, so my boys are kind of the ideal friends or just people I would like to meet.

My parents and my boyfriend. They don't seem to understand it, but I clearly see some traits of my boyfriend and guy friends that I've put into my dolls.

That they're my characters, they're the ones I write about.

Probably, but no one voices it.

When I went to order my first doll. I had major issues finding a girl I merely liked. That's when I found that I not only prefered boy sculpts over girls, but that they're easier to write about and for me to relate to.

11. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      For some reason, I really like the boys. I always figured id get a ton of female dolls, but I knew I wanted my first doll to be a boy. Now, whenever I look at dolls, I focus mainly on the boys. Thats why im having a tough decision about whether to get the male or female Bobobie Nissa...Because Its small and cute and really want a girl but the boy is just more appealing to me
      I think it has a bit to do with the fact that im a boy too. I think I can just relate to a boy doll better.

Nah, havnt met that many doll fanatics.

Probably that I want both boy and girl dolls, but have just been more keen on boy dolls.

Not sure, but I wouldnt imagine so o.O

When I got my boy, I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted a boy. I looked at a bunch of companies and hardly looked at the girls, but had a list of quite a few boys I wanted. Then I started thinking about getting a second doll, and the girls were still less appealing.

12. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I definitely perfer girls. I have 3 girls dolls with another on the way, I've never even considered buying a boy. I lvoe dressing my dolls up and I love frilly things and lace and to me having a boy just wouldn't be as much fun in that aspect. It's also easier to make up female characters, I think I would have a difficult time "bonding" with a male doll.

Nope, not really actually. I've told a lot of people that I only want girls but no one has ever asked me about it.

That girls have prettier clothes and are more fun to dress up~

Haha I don't think? I would hope not.

I've never considered buying a boy doll, it's always been lovely ladies for me~ And I doubt I ever will buy a boy. =3

13. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer boys. I'm not entirely sure why, but even in the books or manga I read, or TV or anime that I watch, I've always preferred boy characters. Girls just kind of bore me, I guess.. .^^

Actually... no, I don't think anyone's ever asked. .^^ I don't talk to strangers about my dolls much, and my family doesn't care enough about anything in my life to bother wondering.

Girls bore me. .^^

Anyone who knows me well enough wouldn't be surprised at all. XD

*laughs* Um, 10 years ago? Like I said, I've always preferred male characters in the stories I read/watch, so it's not shocking that the prefrence would apply to dolls as well.

14. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? I prefer female dolls. All of my current bebehs are girls. I like being able to dress them up however, be it frilly or tomboy-ish. I have just never felt comfortable dressing up or seeing boy dolls dressed up to the point that they look like girls.

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? Nope..... Well, when I owned Johnny way back in the day, my mom asked why I wanted a boy.

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? I would just tell them I prefer dressing girls up more than boys.

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? Not as far as I can tell.

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? I owned a DZ Xi way back when I first started collecting. I loved him to pieces, but I hated not being able to dress him up like I could my female doll. I ended up selling him, and buying another female with the money. Now, with 7 females, I doubt I will get another guy.

15. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Boys.
      Eyecandy.
      Yes.
      I like sexy male eyecandy.
      Yes, but it's pretty much dwarfed by my overall weirdness.
      Like you, over time. I originally just wanted one doll. I got him and was quite happy for a while. Then my enabler friends insisted he needed a buddy. It was all downhill from there, and all boys! Someone asked about getting a girl, but... every time I think about it, it gives me the heebie jeebies. I've finally found one girl that I want - Iple House Light Tan Gentle Cocori. ...and as I was looking around, found I'd kind of like a Dollmore Kid tan Asha.
      But... I just don't see me buying girl clothes, having them do "girly" things and such without it just giving me shivers of revulsion.
      It's not that I don't like girl dolls. I just don't like them for me. I'm tomboy through and through. I'd rather choke myself than don a dress or much in the way of frills. So I can't emote the girlishness that they'd need from me to come "alive" in the stories.
      Short appearances or visits are fine, but I probably won't be orchestrating her moves or writing her lines. :sweat
      And who knows, maybe I'll overcome it and just have her be as tomboyish as myself. ;) She'd probably have to be, just to survive in this barrel of monkeys.

16. I prefer girl dolls. I am a girly girl at heart. I don't really know how to dress boy dolls well. I admire others boys, and I can tell you what styles I like on them but I can't put together a decent guy outfit. I also can't do "manly" poses well. For my girls, I know how to dress them and pose them. I just relate better to my own gender I suppose.

17. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Guys, because they appeal more to my feminine side.

Yes.

Guys can be just as pretty as girls. :)

No, not really.

When I first went to a doll meet and got to make a proper comparison between guy and girl dolls. I just liked holding a guy doll more.

18. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Boys, Well I'm an anime fan, I love bishounen so maybe that why I love boys to death, actually I used to have a girl but somehow I didnt manage to get along with her, now I'm planing to buy a MNF Ryeon but who knows, but the only thing I really know is that I prefer boys^__^

Yes, my Boyfriend always ask me why I prefer boys dolls over girls, he asks me why do I dress Jun like a girl and not owning a real girl:sweat.

The only reason I gave him is this: "oh babe, I love boys and you know I love Yaoi and if I want to dress Jun girly it is because I like it that way, and owning a girl it's boring!!"

Well my sister thinks I'm kind of weird actually. my boyfriend doesnt like my male dolls, only my puki pukis (he get jealous oh my male babes)

Ever since I started on this hobby, I fall in love with H. Ducan so from then I realize that boys dolls were made for me:aheartbea

19. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      --Girls. My first BJD will be a girl.

--Most don't.

--Two words: Frilly dresses. (I'm a fan of very feminine girly dolls--in one of my other doll fandoms people make boy dolls often and I don't care for them at all.)

--Nope.

--I've always liked girl dolls over boy dolls, even when I was younger.

20. I PREFER girls beacuse all of my friends that have dolls have guys. So I don't want to be some of the doll owners who buy the opposite Gender. No offense to those who do love dolls of the opposite gender. :D I might get a boy if I get a second doll. :D