1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

To those Who Own Only or Prefer One Gender Over the Other

Jun 3, 2008

1. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

[BJDs] I perfer males. I have reasons why.
      Males tend to have "cool decked-out clothing".
      Females are in mostly dresses or girly-girly clothes. It makes them look very fragile, porcelin like, or even barbie to me. Although they do look utterly beautiful, they really do.
      I just can't see myself owning something like that.
      You can find males with "stubborn face" or a male with "cool decked-out clothing" very easily really.

As a [figure collector] I only collect females even though there are male figures out there.
      Simply because they look "cooler or decked-out" than the males.
      And you can find female figures not wearing dresses all the time, they'll actually have some tomboy looking ones.
      There is alot of variation of females.

So for me it's not really gender it's how cool I can get the male or female considering clothing or face expression. And for some reason BJD males tend to have the better cool clothes.

Now you might ask, why not just buy a female and dress it as a tomboy? ( I don't know how to sew professionally + custom clothing costs alot if it's complicated!!) Also male BJD clothes might not fit the female BJD because male bjds are taller and bigger than the female usually. And it's hard to find a female sculpt that looks stubborn or strong. And because they don't look as cool as figures.

If there was a BJD female that looked like these examples, then I would buy females instead!
      Examples: (Excuse the partial nudity, although they are clothed)
      http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/ruku_cat/Pics/3.jpg
      http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/ruku_cat/Pics/2.jpg
      http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/ruku_cat/Pics/1.jpg

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference?

No.

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference?

Give me better girl clothing to choose from, and a sculpt that looks tomboy-ish. Someone that looks strong yet cool at the same time.
      And I will like.

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference?

No.

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other?

When I tried looking for [BJD girls], they were hardely any meeting my expectations. Most of them looked fragile looking. None of them seemed to surpass the [figurine] quality of a female.

But i'll keep my eyes open incase one shows up!

2. I've always been a girly-girl at heart, despite my "male" sense of humour and t-shirt and jeans wardrobe. Female dolls will always take precedence over males, and boys will only be considered as a secondary partner. In fact, my first girl will not wear pants. At all. It'll be dresses and skirts all the way.

3. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I tend to lean toward the girl dolls. It's always been important to me to have female heroes in things like books and movies. Since I was a girl I was always frustrated that it was seemed like it HAD to be a boy who saved the world, and that just seemed so stupid. It's why I usually have female heroes in my manga as well.

I do have One boy doll, and am selling my only other boy right now :( This makes me sad but I have to pay for Sard somehow! So I have an incoming boy, and a WIP who is male. But out of 12 dolls they will be in the minority.

No, if I owned exclusively one gender or the other they might.

Probably the answer to question one.

No. Honestly if I had unlimited funds I'd have A LOT more boy dolls and it would be closer to an even split. I like having both, I just can't afford both.

5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other?
      The fact that I just kept buying girls! And all the guys I like are limited but when a limited girl goes on sale I will jump at them and the boys keep getting shoved to the bottom of my priorities.

4. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I also prefer males. I was never interested in dolls when I was a kid and I believe the reason is because they were all girls? I'd get some dolls as presents from time to time but I never played with them.
      I find girl dolls pretty and there are a couple of them that I'd love to own (such as Suigintou...No matter what she's my all time favorite) but I just don't see myself spending money on them in the close future. Dressing pretty boys in girly clothes is a different story, however. xD

My friends does, sometimes. They mostly confuse them with girls and want to learn why I don't have any girls.
      My family is already used to me being obsessed with boys so they don't bother.

I try to explain myself but I also try to be careful. I mean, I don't hate girls or something but they might get the impression I do so. I also don't want anyone to harass me for my decisions so I just say I'm planning on getting some girls too but I just can't choose. I also include a little joke like, who needs girls when there are girly looking boys? They mostly stare at me like I'm a weirdo but...who cares. :P
      They already think I'm a weirdo for spending that much money on dolls anyways. xD

Yes and no. I have a couple of friends and they are interested in dolls too. They don't think it's weird at all. I mean it's your own hobby, your money and you do whatever you want with it, right?
      On the other hand some of my other friends think it's weird. Not only because I have only boys, but also because I still play with "dolls" at the age 18...Like I'm too old or something... .__.

I knew I wasn't interested in dolls but I just fell in love with the first BJD I saw. That was pretty shocking. I realized I prefer males to females when I first started this hobby, I guess. Before, I always thought I don't like dolls in general. I was wrong. :P

5. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? - Male. I have no idea why, really. I think it's because I like androgyny out to HERE, and male dolls always end up a bit androgynous. It's easier to androgynise a male doll than it is a female. Also, the girl dolls are all a bit too girly for me!
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? - Nope.
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? - I like my boys obedient and managable, so... ;)
      4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? - Not really.
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? - As soon as I saw a male BJD. I knew that this hobby - and boy dolls - were for me, leik woah.

6. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

On the whole I think I prefer female dolls to own, but male dolls to look at. I love so many male molds, but I find females to be more fun to own and personalise.

Never. No one has ever questioned it.

I would tell them what I think. I like looking at the male molds but I prefer to own females. Just like in real life, I find female dolls have so many more options when it comes to hair, clothes and make up. I think there is more fashion availible for female dolls and its easier to mix things up.

I find this true to my tastes in real life too because when I go shopping for myself I love it, but if I go with my brother or my boyfriend I get bored. Men just don't get as much variation in fashion.

I don't think they would do since I think my reason is pretty logical. However no one has ever asked so I'm not sure.

I didn't 'discover' it, I've always felt this way.

7. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? girls, because boys aren't usually as beautiful and perfect as the doll face molds are. Plus girls can wear prettier clothes, and I'm really girl so I like frilly be-ribboned outfits

2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? umm.... my mom. She actually noticed for me dolls are always girls but for stuffed animals they're always boys.

3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? no-one's ever asked, besides my mom

4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? no- i suppose someday if I find a boy doll that really speaks to me I'll buy him so my girl doll has a friend.

5) When & How did you discover that you preferred this gender over the other? I always think of girl names easier than boy names.

8. 1)I prefer girls.

Why? I'm not sure really, My first did start out as a boy but I just couldn't get comfortable with him until I tried a gender change.

2) No one has asked me

3) I'd tell them, that's just my preference. I have no particular reasons for it.

4) No

5) Whenever I plan for a boy I just turn my back and snatch a girl. 9___9;;;
      I really do want a boy but I just can't seem to grasp one.

9. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?

I prefer female dolls. I cannot relate to male dolls. I think it's because I grew up with all sisters, had female childhood friends, and we all had female dolls. I grew up in the 50's and I don't even really remember any boy dolls. Ken came out in 1961 and nobody I knew had one.

Only when they ask everyone in General Discussion on DoA.

I am not accustomed to having male dolls.

No. Not at all. They might think it was weird if I had male dolls.

The first male doll I ever owned was a male BJD I owned briefly. I found that he just didn't fit in with what "doll play" is for me. For me doll play just doesn't involve males. My dolls are more like my sisters or female friends to me. They dress up, have tea, read a book or relax, etc.

10. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      Well, I used to really prefer males. Mostly because I get my kids based off of characters I've already created and most of them are boys! But now it seems like I'm preferring females because I love the dresses that they can have! Yet, when it comes down to it, I really think I prefer my boys! ^^

Nope...well my mother questioned it once but then kinda said never mind because they all look like girls to her anyway except Kyle and Chancer ''XD

Umm I suppose I'd tell them I prefer my boys because I understand their characters better and bond with them more! But then that would lead to more questions I'm sure '''XD

Nope; at least none that I know

Ummm I just kinda did? I guess it's mostly because I enjoy shounen-ai and yaoi so that's why a lot of my characters are boys.

But still, I think I'm also balancing my preference with the girls too ^^; I really like the dresses and clothes coming out for them plus there are a lot of beautiful girl molds coming out that I can't resist! But as I said, in the end I think my boys are my definite preferred ones! ^^

11. 1) What gender do you prefer & why? Girls, more fun to dress up I think.
      2) Do people ever ask you about your preference? No
      3) What would you tell someone who asked you about your preference? That girls are more fun to dress up?
      4) Do other's think it's weird that you have this preference? No
      5) When & How did you discover that you prefered this gender over the other? When I bought my first boy and realized that I liked buying dresses more than pants.

I have 10 full dolls (at the moment!) One's a bunny, so it doesn't count, but out of the others 6 are girls and 3 are boys. I don't know why but I just really like to see my girls all made up in dresses sitting next to each other. It's just pretty to look at I think. And size wise, I prefer SD girls, but I only have 2 at the moment...

12. I'm so glad I saw this thread, I was actually thinking about this earlier today!

I like the boys, but it seems that girly dolls would have a wider variety of things that could be done. I'm not a big fan of effeminate lads, but they do have a special place in my heart. I desperately hope my first one will be male, but I'm not going to etch it in stone. Whatever happens, will.

No one's asked, as I haven't mentioned it to many of my friends, so that answers #3 a bit, too. I also don't think it's too weird, as I've done chat role-plays (and various other RPing) over the years, and have played a lot of male chars.

It wasn't such a discovery as just settling on it. In my heart of hearts, I'd like one of each, but -- *crosses fingers*. :)

13. I admid I prefer boys, mainly because I'm attracted to them. When I get my first, I'm going to spoile them royally! I find that male dolls have the features I prefer, the six-pack abs, the chest, the long eyelashes, the muscles. I think that for me, they will be more attractive in photostories than females. My boys will most likely be gay, also because I'm attracted to that, and they will be lovers as well as best friends.

Ryuichi

14. I collect other dolls and they are all girls then when I found out about bjds and the boys look like my favorite anime and manga I fall in love. But I only collect large male bjds as for tinies I like to collect both sex bec. they are cute little babies. My large male bjds are handsome, manly, or pretty boys.

15. I have both boys and girls in my crew... but the guys outnumber the gals by about five to one over here. I guess that makes which gender I prefer pretty obvious. ;)

I got my first two girls... Daisy, a DH Soo, and Sannru, a Vampire Elf Yder girl... pretty early on, so no one ever really questioned my preference for male sculpts. I guess maybe having a mix, no matter how out of proportion the actual numbers are, is enough to avoid questioning from non doll people?

Anyway, I have more guys in my collection simply because there are more male sculpts that I like than female. A lot of girl dolls look very childlike to me, or very "anime", with huge round eyes and tiny little mouths and noses, and that look isn't what appeals to me. If a sculpt's eyes are bigger than my Yder's, that's just too big. :lol:

I don't think that preference is weird. It just... is.

16. Well as far as gender preference, I prefer the boys over girls. I just like the looks of the boys much better and they are much more fun to dress.

17. I like the idea of having a boy and a girl, so I've decided to make my incomin' girl a bit of a tomboy at times.

:P

18. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer female dolls. I'm more comfortable with female dolls, to be honest. Male anatomy makes me mildly uncomfortable. Also, all my characters are female. So every character that I want to be a doll has to be female. To top that all off, I just think that girl dolls are pretty/beautiful/cute. There are only a few guy dolls that I'd consider buying... but I'd have no character to attach them to, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be as close to them as the others.
      There's really only one character that's male that I'd like and I haven't seen a mold that seems right for him yet.

No. Probably because I only have Sanyu right now.

That all my characters are female, so all my dolls are female. They all have a story to them.

Maybe. Then again, a lot of people think it's weird that I own a doll to begin with. So whether or not they are all female or all male I doubt it would be any weirder.

Before I ever owned a doll, I suppose. I really only looked at the girls when I was shopping around... I just liked the females better.

19. 1) What gender do you prefer & why?
      I prefer females. Ive had male dolls before. And by all means would love to own another some day. But as of right now, the dresses, hair, make up, shoes etc I just love!! They seem to "speak" to me much more easily!

Hrm not really ^^;;

umm. i like girls. thank you come again. :D

yah know... ive never thought to ask....

Umm.. really just owning various dolls.... pretty soon i knew the girls had got me hooked!

20. 1. I prefer females, they're more appealing to me, in terms of body curves and soft features. I have been through the phase of dressing them up to diff styles and wigs and eyes and whatnot, but recently I have found that they each developed a personality over time, and some clothes just can't fit them anymore. However, I do have 3 males in my collection. No male dolls have ever seem attractive to me, until I found Hound. He's the only guy i'd ever like :) The 3rd one is BF Jimmy, but that's a kid, and he's just adorable.

2. Noone asked me this question.

3. I'll tell them I like looking at girls, fake or real, haha.

4. Most women like to look at other women anyway, so I'm not weird.

5. I just knew it from the beginning, because I hardly ever look at guy dolls, or when I do browse, I don't find them as attractive. Kids are different though, I think little guys are way more adorable then men.