1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Too much too fast?

Aug 19, 2009

1. Lol, that is exactly what I did! I ordered multiple dolls before my first had even arrived XD If you know that you are going to love the doll and you really want it, then I don't see why you should wait.

2. My sister-in-law does that when she goes shopping. Doesn't ever bother me; I think it's cute. :lol:

3. xD Well I should go shopping with you instead of my friends.

I was shopping with a few, they were prom dress shopping. And I guess one girl didn't know I wasn't going and she got mad because I wasn't looking/trying on at any dresses. lmao. I was trying to make a relevance but it failed. :sweat

4. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      Er. Yes :) Each individual has their own way of doing things, but none of your dolls have even arrived yet. Give yourself a chance to be acquainted with one doll before you buy an army of them.

How long was it till you got your first BJD?
      I was aware of BJDs for about a year, on and off, before I got my first doll.

How has it been since you got your first?
      At one point I had over 10 BJDs and found it hard to maintain and appreciate a collection that big. I've since limited myself to only Volks dolls and I'm parting with the non-Volks dolls I can bear to part with to keep numbers manageable.

What do you do to stop the urges?
      Appreciate the dolls I already have; spend time with them, photograph them, make things for them :) If I bought a doll every time I saw one I liked I'd soon end up with no money and far too many dolls.

5. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      It's different for everybody, but personally, I would be overwhelmed having that many coming at once! I like big spaces in between my arrivals because I feel I bond better to each individual. I also like building up one doll's "stash" of items (wigs, eyes, clothes, etc.) and making sure they have plenty of things before getting another doll to buy for. But that's just me. :)

I discovered BJDs in April 2008. I got Callahan, my B&G Sapphira, in August 2008. So I'd been aware of the hobby for about five months before I got my first.

It's been just over a year since I got my first, and in that time, I've only ordered one more: Chatelaine, my Soom Glot. I got laid off from my job in December 2008, so that was a big factor in what I could and couldn't do doll-wise. Even if I hadn't lost my job, I still think I probably would have just ordered my Glot. Like I said, I like big spaces in between my arrivals. I've got plenty of dolls on my wishlist, but I'm waiting until Chatelaine is settled in and got all her things before I choose who comes home next.

Spend time with the dolls that are home! Sew for them, write about their characters, do photoshoots, and just enjoy them. I drag them around the house with me, have them sit on my lap while I'm on the computer, or on the kitchen counter when I'm cooking, etc. I just spoil them and love them, basically. Then I don't feel the need to buy anyone new, since I'm so busy loving the ones I've got!

6. It may be a little too much too fact. With expensive hobbies, especially the dolls, I like something to get here and love it through the entire honeymoon phase BEFORE I go for something else. And financially, wow! That would be a bit of money to just shell out on a new hobby! I mean, yes, your money, your decisions, but slowing down and loving the ones you have on the way fully is NOT a bad choice. I know it can be hard seeing these people with resin families of upwards of 20 dolls, but you don't need to be playing catch up. XD

To stop the urgers, I pretty much just ask myself what else I need the money for. I only have three dollies. One was a gift. One was from a cheaper company. And the last and latest was a very good deal I fell into. But, I mean, I need a new car? I have a baby on the way? The urges are still there, still strong. I always see them on the marketplace and catch myself doing the math to figure out if I can swing it or not without those other expensive needs being taken into consideration. But then I think of things I need, and things I'd like that are more prominent than the dolls, and those things take priority.

As for firsts. I got into BJDs about April in 2008. And had my first doll by August.

I've since sold her, and the next one after her. The girl I now consider my first doll (The first one I bonded with to the point that thinking of selling her makes me want to cry), I got Christmas of 2008. So, nearly 9 months ;D

7. <Giggle.> You sound like me. I went crazy when I first started buying these dolls & eventually ended up with a herd of them. But now, several years later, I'm not feeling that there're any that I must add. (Well, except for an Iplehouse dark Aaron if I'd ever find one when I actually have money.) While I can appreciate the beauty of some of the wonderful, fantastical dolls that are being released, I no longer feel the need to own everything that catches my eye. It does eventually even out. I do still add dolls to my collection from time to time but I have to be completely in love & they must fill a niche in my collection.

It also took me a long time until I first took the plunge. For years I hadn't liked the very anime look of most of the dolls & it wasn't until a friend brought her Luts dolls to our club & let me play with them for close to a year that I became interested. It still took a while to overcome "sticker shock" but once I started, I never looked back.

8. Only thing I caution about the whole "buying multiples at once" is what I've learned to tell myself.

Do I really want the doll or is it me being bored? Will I still like the doll 6 months from now or will I regret having bought it when I see one I REALLY like? Do I want another doll or maybe a really nice outfit? Do I want this doll or save the money for a larger/whatever doll?

If I'm iffy on any answer I make myself stop and think. There are many many dolls I have avoided buying because I thought about it and turns out in a month I didn't really want the doll anymore.

But onto the questions....

I found about about BJDs in Spring 2005, bought my first in July 2007. And I answered the last one up above.

9. Personally I like having a gap between my dolls for the 'bonding and settling in' of each one. But everyone does it differently, usually I go with 'if you want it, will regret it later if not and have sufficient resourses why not?'

Do you think that's too much too fast?
      In your case, perhaps maybe wait until you've received your first one or two? That way you'll see if dolls are for you, if the size is right etc. then jump in a bit more. Cherry and Bory are standard dolls, so it's easy enough to buy them at any time. If it's the faceup you like, if it's not default just save a photo for reference and get it done similarly instead?

found out 2004 then lost interest
      betwen really wanting on and getting one... it's Aug06 -> Jan07 so about half a year
      waiting for my actual doll was 2 months

it's been 2 years and 5 months on this day

real life, but also I go 'amazing' on many dolls. I've figured that I'm rather happy looking at photos and I limit myself to a certain gender and size. Other than that I only buy dolls that are '110%' right, slowly I figured out what would tick all my boxes in a doll. I must either fall head over heels in love or just love them regardless. So far I only regret 2 heads I've got, those were impulse buys. Nanuri07 I've since sold and Miho is still here, I do love him alot but have no inspiration...

10. Do you think that's too much too fast?

I bought one on ebay on impulse and only after it arrived did I find out that there were others of her kind. If you can afford them and you want them, buy them whenever you wish.

Only few days because I bought her secondhand on ebay.

I bought my first one in 2004.

If I could afford them, I would probably buy all the dolls on my wishlist today. Life circumstances keep my acquisitive urges firmly in check.

11. Do you think that's too much too fast?

II bought one today after researching for weeks for either amini or a tiny. I got myself a brownie for £42 or $67

Nearly 2 months ago, she arrived only a weeks ago @.@

2 weeks

Close down my debit card and pay pal.

12. Do you think that's too much too fast?: wellll I don't *giggles* I got my first doll in April, my 2nd in May, my 3rd and 4th in July and recently my 5th a week ago!
      But some people might think so, I say who cares what other people think, it's your money so why can't you buy as many as you'd like. The only thing I would say is the fact you haven't received your first yet, so unless you've already met a few BJD's there is the question of "what do I do if I don't like them?", I'm sure you'll love them though!

How long was it till you got your first BJD? I'd known about them a few months before I actually got my girl, and had been looking at pictures and sites etc, then I kinda forgot about them before I looked at them again then ordered my girl, I'm glad I did!

How has it been since you got your first? oooooh fantastic! It's opened a new world for me, I've met new friends and been to a couple of meets, and found a few dollie owners who live in my area! I've been so happy since I got Reija and my Doll family has grown in just a few months!

oh it's hard hehe I try not to look in the marketplace on here for one, and if I do take a peek I tell myself that a character of mine has to come home first before I buy anymore and hopefully that will be my Christmas present, another way is the fact I have my car insurance to pay next month which is the price of a doll, so I tell myself if I can't wait til Christmas I can look after I've paid the insurance! *giggles*

13. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      I think everyone goes through a doll explosion at some point. Just make sure it has at least as much to do with the dolls as it does the stressful situation of graduating without a job lined up and that it doesn't adversely effect you finances and it will be okay.

I was aware of BJDs for about a year, maybe two, before I bought my first. I first saw them in the off topic portion on thisisblythe forum. Then I tried to talk myself into being content with 1/6 dollfies, but that didn't really work.

Just about exactly 4 years.

I managed to stave off a dollie population explosion for awhile by following an old rule that my mother had for my dolls when I was a kid --- One doll a year. So I got my first in 2005, my second in 2006 and my third in 2007. But 2008-9 has been my dolly explosion year. In less than 12 months I've acquired three more dolls and a floating head. Like you it coincided with a very stressful time - I lost a job I'd had for ten years and went back to school.

I control the urge to buy dolls by being involved in the doll community in other ways such as; going to meetups, participating in swaps and art trades, playing in the memes part of the forum. I also make most of my dolls clothes (and I don't use a sewing machine) and play with them by making a diorama full of little treasures from cheap places like Goodwill and the Dollar Treee for them to live in.

14. I think whatever you can afford and still enjoy, you should get. Honestly I wish I could get two dolls on my wish list at the same time because they would be so fun together, but I simply don't have the money. If you have the money, get what you want and enjoy it.

15. My wait between my first two was 10 months. I had been into the hobby for 3 months before I got my first. My third is on the was and should arrived in late October, falling right in with my whole 10 months flow. Which I didn't plan, but think works fine. :)
      I like to have bonding time with each doll before getting the next. Alice and I bonded faster than Davey and I did though... I like to go slow. :)

16. I've done something similar, but not when I ordered my first doll. I ordered my first doll and didn't think too much about getting a second until after she arrived. I ordered my second an entire year later, but went from two to four dolls in fewer than six months.

So, to answer the questions:
      Do you think that's too much too fast? - I think that the speed that someone gets dolls is up to them, especially since I didn't really begin to bond with my first doll until after I received my second.

How long was it till you got your first BJD? - I ordered my first doll in September and got her right around Christmas.

How has it been since you got your first? - A little more than a year and a half.

What do you do to stop the urges? - I buy or make clothes for my dolls, try to find props, and don't look at the "New Dolls" news here. I've also tried to cultivate a kind of pickiness about my dolls. I also like to not look at a doll I think I'm interested in for a while to see if the desire to own leaves me.

This has resulted in half-regrets. I sort of regret not jumping on Glati when Soom was selling them, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy Theophilus.

17. For me, financially that would be too much at once. Of course I have two kids and a husband too. For me I took a couple months of browsing and agonizing over dolls before I picked out my first one( a b&g elf afta). I paid my first layaway payment on her today. I alrdy have my second doll picked out but I'm going to wait until I get my first one and enjoy getting all her clothes, wig, and so forth before I put the second one on layaway (a resinsoul dan). I have to finish one thing before I move on to the next. But everyone is different.

18. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      To each his/her own x) My preference is to have one BJD ordered and received at a time--I like to spend my time getting to know the new member in my dollie family, such as developing their character/personality and learning how best to pose them, etc. before even considering a new BJD.

I've known about BJDs for two years or so, but it wasn't until November of last year that I really started looking at them aka considering a purchase. I finally ordered my first BJD in December of that year.

About six to seven months.

I usually have a few dolls that really hold my attention more than just a simple "aww that's so cute--I want it!" impulse. I also spend a lot of time looking through all the pictures of that particular mold from different owners. If, after a few months, I still can't help melting whenever I see that doll, I start saving up for him/her. :lol:

-M

19. Well, I've been researching for about a year...and I still haven't gotten mine. However, thats simply because of money difficulties and nothing else.
      When it comes to a gift, as a doll, accept it! They are expensive, and if you need to meet other requirments I see no reason why you shouldn't accept the gift. It's just a smarter thing to do. I always put things on my list that I don't want to pay for.
      It might sound greedy but that way I make sure they get something that makes me happy. (( They hate getting people things that don't thrill them. they find it insulting))
      I would have waited to get your second after getting your first in, but I'm considering doing two nopw aswell..
      Whichever you choose, goodluck to you!

20. Hey, my motto is, if you can afford everything you afforded before buying them ... then you're good. it's about the love.