1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Too much too fast?

Aug 19, 2009

1. The bid obsession sets in hard. I bought 6 dolls my first year. I'm trying to slow down but I would be lying of I said I didn't want more now. Funds are what's stopped me! I say if you have the means, then why not? :)

2. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      for me it would be too much
      but if you can afford it then more power to you

How long was it till you got your first BJD?

5-6 years

How has it been since you got your first?
      almost 6 months now (and all my plans for getting a second have been crushed so she'll be the only one for a good long while)

What do you do to stop the urges?
      I just look at the price, then look at my savings and realize I can't afford it right now (especially if I want to get Nadeko more new clothes)

3. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      I think everybody moves at different paces in this hobby and ends up going down different paths. For example, I've talked to people who buy several dolls in a year because they can't decide between them and then sell a few that they don't bond with. I've also met people who only buy a doll every few years because that's how often they see a sculpt that they want. Some people buy their first 3 dolls all at once, others leave big gaps between getting their dolls. It all depends on your income, what you use the dolls for, how many sculpts you like and whether you're a bulk buyer or not.

I already had money saved up when I found out about BJDs so in 2007 at 14 I got my first doll after a brief research period on resin care etc. My parents were supportive of it but they didn't buy anything for me (although the following Christmas my mum did get me a few T-shirts and things for him of her own accord).

It's been 6 years since I got my first doll now. I got my second doll in 2012, my third at the very end of 2012, and my fourth should be arriving in 2/3 weeks. I also have a fifth head arriving in the next few days, but I'll be getting him a body later on this year or next year. I wouldn't have bought the head but it was an instock limited item from 2010 that I've not seen for sale anywhere else.

I remind myself of the other things that I need to get with the money, especially more practical things, and I also like to get something nice for the dolls I already have. I want each and every doll I own to be spoiled and given a lot of attention so I remind myself that having a few overly-complete dolls is better for my style of collecting rather than having lots of dolls on the go.

4. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      I bought my first 4 BJD's quickly because I could do lay-a-way. But I tried to limit myself to one size only. I was so smitten with the Iplehouse EID's - the Elemental Guardians. I had never had a doll that big before. I did not really give myself time to adjust to the size. I still love them but they are living in their boxes right now.

I have kind of slowed down now. I did fall for IH Isar who is a MSD size and she stays out and gets play time. I also ordered Kaye Wiggs Hope because of the cause it supported. She is MSD size as well and she stays out and gets play time. She and Isar can share a lot of outfits although some ore not age appropriate to share.

I now have a BID on order. She will work well with the Isar. Again, Iplehouse's dolls are so beautiful. They had a Winter event that allowed us to customize a doll and add some outfits that I really coveted and could not get without a doll. I tend to also buy clothes, shoes, etc. while I wait for the doll which hits the pocket kind of hard.

Bottom line, I understand feeling overwhelmed. I have seen many other Iplehouse dolls I would love but if they do not fit into my 2 size groups, I have to just admire them when other people post pictures. I just do not have the space for a lot.

It took me the entire order period to make my first BJD decision. I decided I would look at her every day and if I still wanted her on the last day of the order period, then I would buy her. I had her on lay-a-way so it was 3 months to get her.

It's been about 2 years now. I did an inventory recently of what I have spent and it is kind of scary. Even little purchases such as props and shoes mount up.

I remind myself of the storage units that I am renting to house furniture, collectibles, fabrics and clothes and it slows me down.

5. This is an interesting question - because as a newbie I asked myself the same question (briefly).

Do you think that's too much too fast?
      I bought all of my guys in a very very short period of time so super fast. If I could do it another way - I would love to have spaced it out over the year so that I would have a few months in-between each guy. And it turns out for at least one I could have...but I didn't want to risk not getting him. But the main reason I collected very fast was that the boys I wanted were either limited in some way or available for a short purchase period. I did some hard thinking and for each doll I considered asked: would I regret not having him as a part of a small collection and then either passed or purchased.

Pretty fast. I had a lucky moment so to speak when I had the time and funds to dedicate to research and purchasing.

Well at the moment I still just have my first and I'm waiting for my other boys. It's only been about 3 months. I have loads of fun changing the outfit and wig of my one guy - so he's like a new doll every week. I think changing his look is the most fun for me and can't wait to do it with the other boys too.

Not having the money...lol. But seriously, I think I have more urges around fashion and accessories than I do about the dolls themselves. I have pretty strict criteria before plopping down $$$ for a doll. If I stick to it then I'm in good shape.

6. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      I think it really depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I had been in love with BJDs for a long while and hesitated and hesitated over the price because they are an investment and time consuming. I waited quite a while after my first purchase before I decided to get another, just to be sure that I was really dedicated. Now I have 3 dolls (a tiny collection by comparison to some), but I can honestly say I don't regret even one of them ^^

I waited nearly 2 years :nowords:, a long time I know, but I needed to wait until I was absolutely sure and that I'd found the right doll for me.

It's been 8 months since my first.

I still look at pictures, but whenever I get the urge to just buy another one, I try making a new outfit/jewelry/accessory instead ^^

7. Yeah I know I go too fast. I average 10 a year...

8. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      Only you can decide this. It's your money and you can spend it how you like. If they make you happy go for it!

I collected anime action figures for years and thought bjds looked great but had not seen that many. One day I was searching ebay and came across a doll-love sculpt and it was love at first sight. I bought Damian and now have 7 boys and am waiting for one and have another on layaway.

I know I'm hopelessly hooked. I blame Damian for being so gorgeous that I just had to get more. I know they are expensive but I have made the choice to buy them instead of getting a new outfit or something else.

I'm don't think I'm a good person to ask as I have given in to those urges an awful lot over the past couple of years. I have been unwell for this time and my dolls are something I can enjoy even if I'm not well enough to go out. That being said I am not buying any doll I see (Oh to have that kind of money). I only buy a sculpt I really love.

9. Do you think that's too much too fast?
      It's only too much too fast if your income/saved up money cannot support it. If you are putting off buying food or paying bills for your dolls, yes, it is too much.
      I don't even remember. I had looked at pictures of BJDs on Deviantart for years, and even looked up companies that sold them, but was afraid of the perceived challenge of international shipping. Then I found a wonderful person who reassured me that nothing would go wrong with international shipping, and sold me my first doll's head. And it arrived here from Australia with no problem, and now I am no longer afraid of international shipping.
      She arrived in the middle of November, and it is now the middle of March, so... four months!
      I have made up a careful list of roleplay characters that I wish to purchase dolls for. I don't intend to buy any other dolls until I have most of the dolls on this list (a couple of exceptions for limited dolls that will be bought secondhand when I can). When I am close to finishing up this list, I will make another list.