1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Torso Joints: Poll

Mar 5, 2010

?
  1. No joints

2. One joint (two part)

3. Two joints (three part)

4. 4+ joints

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. 3 parts for men and 2 parts for women.

2. I prefer joints to no joints, but it's hard to say how many. >A<;; I haven't been in the hobby long so maybe I just haven't developed an opinion yet. I'm not opposed to joints at all, I don't think a well-done joint takes away from the beauty. (It can even add to it, if you look at them as an engineered sculpture and not as an imperfect human where joints=flaws.)

But I voted 1 joint because I think sometimes the 2 joints can create an effect I dislike, where the bottom piece looks like underwear. XD;; You know, like how Barbies are jointed. Depending on the shape, it can remind me of that, and I never liked that effect. (Sometimes they even had a flower pattern on that piece and it weirded me out as a kid..)

BUT I have seen some dolls with amazing 2-joint torsos that I really really love, so it depends.

And I have seen ones with many joints that are really cool, but at that point it REALLY depends on the shapes the sculptor has chosen because there doesn't seem to be a standard for torsos with that many joints, so it can look like pretty much anything. XD;;

It's exciting to see many-jointed dolls though... there aren't a lot and I wish there were more~

3. Does anyone have images demonstrating what each would look like? I'm not quite sure what a three jointed torso looks like.

4. I prefer just one joint. None of my dolls got more than one, and I like the posing they can do with just that one joint. I prefer a joint in the chest :)

5. Of the types I have among my crew now, my favorite has got to be my big boys with the double jointed torsoes. You simply can't beat that natural looking slouch they can pull off <3 Second are my DoC's with the single joint in the middle of their torsoes, I don't find it quite as pretty to look at however. My least favorite has to be my boy with the single joint at his waist. While his chest sculpt is gorgeous and not interrupted by any jointing, he's seriously a pain in the behind to pose, and I honestly wonder if I really get that much usage out of the hip joint. In the (hopefully near) future I hope to bring a boy into the family who won't have any jointing whatsoever in his entire torso piece, and that should be really interesting to play around with as I've never had that before.

6. 2+ joints please. I got into the hobby because I thought they would be beautiful art models, and what's the point of buying a model that can't bend? What I -really- want is a torso that can make a rounded back, but the only sculpts I've seen that can do that aren't made that well and really...kind of creepy. D:

7. I only have my DZ boy to go on here, and he's got the two-joint torso, but I really love it. I like how he can slouch; it looks more natural to me. Granted, shirtless, not terribly realistic or aesthetic, but I loves him, anyway.

8. When I first got Aya I didn't realise how poseable she was. The joint in her back makes it easy to change her position.
      I don't know what it would be like to have more complex joints, what she has works just fine though ^^

9. For me, females must have a three-part torso, no exceptions. I like my females to be able to pose very well, and to also actually look realistic in terms of proportion, I have yet to find any two-part female that has looked proportionally realistic to me, always too thin in the waist.

For males, I will stand a two part torso if I have to, and have no mind for it if they are tinies under 28cm. I still hold a preference for three-part torsos in that respect though too, again due to the additional posing that they provide (it is one reason why I adore Angel of Dream bodies so much; they are mature, have three-part torsos and the posing is brilliant)

Oh, and I'm even pickier when it does come to a chest joint. The joint must be below the bust, where humans naturally bend, not under the bust. Having it directly under the bust is completely unnatural as humans do not bend there and, to me, it is aesthetically hideous. So minifee a-line/resinsoul 60cm, yuck

10. i like them having at least one, i hate no-jointed torsos... mostly because they tend to always stay bent forward for what i've seen in pictures, i've never owned nor seen one in person though

part of the reason i bought an aod body for my hyo shin is the three part torso

11. I prefer three-part torsos for the most part, since they provide many more posing options. They really don't take away from the aesthetic of the sculpt if done well; take female bodies for instance, a lot of companies are starting to put the chest joint right up under the breasts, which allows the body to keep a really nice aesthetic as well as providing more movement. That said, I'm not opposed to a nice two-part torso.

I'll avoid no-jointed torsos like the plague. D: They just do absolutely nothing for me. Although I suppose if I just wanted the doll to be a thing to look at then I wouldn't mind.

12. I like one joint in the torso under the breast for a nice compromise of possibility and looks, but I really wish there were more bodies with a joint at the base of the neck. I really like being able to move the neck independent of the shoulders. So far I have only found two doll bodies that do this and one belongs to Volks Baron...

13. No joint or one joint, and that joint cannot be lower than the waist. I HATE hip joints on dolls, especially male ones. They're unattractive and don't add anything that ever impressed me posing wise.

Aesthetics will always win over posability for me. I love the solid torso Volks SD bodies. They're beautiful and and quite nice to work with.

14. I like 2 joints, it just seems easier to move them! And anyway they all wear shirts so it doesnt show =D

I dont mind no-jointed dolls when they are small.. bu even then I'd love to at least have one XP

And for me it just seems more pratical.... when I go somewhere and can'T bring anything too big I'll try to make them take less space while if they have les joints it would be more difficult XP

15. One joint, which I prefer to be high/chest.
      I have yet to meet a doll with a low break that does anything at all, and the high break is fabulous for slouching and shoulder tilts. I have dolls with two joint in the torso and the ones with a good high chest break have just as good posability and sometimes better as their thigh/hip joints move well. The low belly break causes a loss of detail I don't care for and I would rather not see a joint when my boys are in low pants.

16. X3 I like two or three joints, as it means posability and that's important to me in a doll.

17. I absolutely cannot stand a no-joint (or only a low joint) torso. While they look nice in pictures, their limited posability makes me cringe.
      My AoD and MNF have 2 joints while my Dollmore kid and IH JID have 1 joint.
      I'm not entirely sure which I prefer, but my dolls must at least have a chest joint. Posability is rather important to me since I love having my dolls interact with each other and their surroundings as natural looking as I can get them. If more joints make the doll more posable (meaning the body is built well and those joints have actual use) then bring it on :lol: Then again, I dream of the day I can bring home a DSAM35 body, so I guess that says a lot about me, haha

18. Wow there is really a wide range of opinion! I fell in love with BJD's partly for their movement and engineering, so I'm a fan of joints! I've never seen a doll with 4+ joints, but I like the 3 part torso, I think a two-part torso is acceptable if it is beautifully sculpted, and would never buy a doll with no torso joint. I wouldn't be playing with them naked anyhow.

19. I prefer two joints (an upper and lower but more towards the middle than a high bust with a large lower torso). That is enough joints to deal with in clothing and other things.