1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Touching your own doll's face

May 19, 2010

1. I'm pretty sure I've touched my girls and pretty boys face all over at some point. Though probly not the eye shadow and eyebrows, but everything else has had hands on at one point or another. Even my boy Jade has the lovelyest faceup and he has been touched by myself.

However I try not to rub hard. And even though more often they are on my shelves in front of me more than played with (I play with my tinies more), they are not for the purpose of being perfect fragile looking things.

2. I touch them all the time. Getting hair out of their faces, posing them, just touching for the sake of touching.
      I have done a fair bit of faceup myself and seen and played with a few company faceups to know that they are not all that easy to rub off. Also I think it is good to know exactly how much abuse can they take. :>

So ya, I touch them. If my bro is touching them I'll tell him to be careful though. XD

3. Mm I try not to touch my dolls head too much, only when I change her pose, since she's a tiny elf sometimes I move her head touching only the tips of her ears... XD

4. I do touch my dolls' faces, although mainly on the forehead, chin or ears in posing; I'll be somewhat careful about brushing hair away from their cheeks, but I don't particularly worry about it. Most of the ways I handle my dolls are habitual now so I'm not even aware of what I'm doing. I only have one faceup I consider truly irreplaceable; even my FCS one could be redone for a fee, so it's only my LUTS LE I figure couldn't be redone as-is. I do a lot of faceups myself and plan to do more, so I guess that's part of it. I haven't caused any damage yet, so I'm really not very worried about it.

5. I don't care so much about my own doll's faces. I'm not exactly going out of my way to smudge greasy food fingers allover them, but I'm not worried about the occasional clean hand touch.

6. Do I touch my dolls faces? No, I don't, unless I absolutely have to. Why? a) I don't do the face ups, they are custom jobs by a friend of mine who does NOT live anywhere near me. b) Even if it is only occasionally, smudges appear, on their chins especially and cleaning that off could damage the custom face up. c) I'm an art teacher... who knows what is clinging to my fingertips; pencil, ink, paint, clay...

I move their heads all the time, by grabbing their ears through the wigs. Easy, simple, and doesn't touch the face. My boys don't just sit on the shelf, they come to school with me at least once a week. They are handled all the time by my TRUSTED students. But everyone knows, Rule #1: DON'T TOUCH THE FACE!!!! ^____^

7. I touch my doll's face all the time. Not really rubbing it hard or anything, just softly.

I kinda presume it's not done so poorly that it'd scrub off at the lightest touch, and i'd hate to have to be absurdly careful around her. Also i figure that if i inadvertantly destroy something, i'll just have it fixed. Sure it wouldn't be exactly the same, but i suppose i could do just fine with something different but equally lovely.

8. I try to pretend that their faces are, like, made of poison or lava. NO TOUCH! ^^ I have an awful lot of LE faceups here, and I want them to last. Sometimes a brief touch is inevitable, but I hate to do it. I hate to catch myself doing it, and I scold myself. Even grabbing them under the chin is bad; chin-blushing is always the first to get filthy & get chipped. For moving their heads, I now grab the backs of their heads or the backs of their ears, or else I make myself stop to put on a glove.

But even I still have to break myself of the habit of brushing hair/bangs out of their eyes without gloves on! Habits die hard, but I'm getting better.

Even if you are careful, and even if you keep your hands clean, you will still be surprised to notice how the dirt & wear accumulates after a couple years. The oils from your hands develop like Polaroids out of nowhere, the sealant gets shiny spots, facebubble-rubs or wig-changing-scrapes appear, schmutz builds up. Schmutz even builds up just from the atmosphere (especially if you live in a city, or near factories), so imagine how much faster it builds up via touching.

9. Doll face-ups can be that..smudgy? I had no idea... (O),(O) I really have to be more careful, then! But...touching your doll's face seems so natural. >.0

10. I am not really careful. I don't wash my hands every single time before touching him, I touch his face. I'm not rough though. Don't wanna test my luck. lol But I don't treat him like a priceless work of art. He's my dolly companion. I'm vary hands on. XD

11. I don't touch Emiru and Kaithan's face, because I want to keep their default faceups as long as possible. However, I love to touch the puffy cheeks of Lan, Lian and the others with the back of my finger. I don't worry about rubbing off their faceups which are done by myself, I can always give them a new faceup if needed. It just feels great to be able to touch their chin and cheeks whenever I feel like to. It really helps me bonding with them.

12. -3- I touch my dolls faces all the time. I mean there are some spots I can touch and know its fine. Cheeks, sure....I don't have much blushing on them so it'd take a lot to rub it off and be noticed anyway. Lips? Sure why not...they're glossed and I KNOW gloss won't come off that easy. Not to mention if my dolls look super cute I'll kiss em or cuddle X3 so face touches are inevitable there.

I don't like other people touching my dolls because they'll touch things like right on the nose, or on the chin...those places I notice are the easiest to have msc rub off and yeah....it seems like thats the places people go for first when trying to turn or pose a doll. Now when I'm posing I make sure only to grab them by the ears/back cheek area cus if any msc or blushing rubbed off there it wouldn't be noticed since the hair covers it *nod*

But overall I have no problem touching my dolls face. Course I don't touch my dolls if I'm sick *for germ issues in general* and yeah if I just lotioned up my hands or something. I only wash my hands really well if I know I'm going to be painting the doll, wouldn't want any oil on my hands to effect the face up

I also think it should be clarified for new owners

Unless the face up is done VERY badly, a face up will NOT rub off easily. I've heard stories about how hard it is to scrub off face ups from doll companies defaults. I myself will coat a head about 10 times during my face up work and sometimes more than that. But this also isn't an invitation to touch dolls as much as you would a barbie. If you grab in the same spots over and over again, even touching softly, then yes it will smudge the face. Fingernails are also an issue if you have them. I'm guilty of having scratched msc on my dolls in places in the past. Too much of anything can be bad, but I don't think touching your doll once or twice in the face will ruin the face up beyond repair....unless you have paint on your hands or something.

13. I touch my doll's face reguarly, especially to get hair out of her face and to twist her head. However, I did her face up myself so I don't really think about the consequences of the face up coming off because I know I can easily redo it if I want. Plus I've rubbed pretty hard on some area's of her face before and none of the face up came off.

14. I am very careful but not obsessive about it. I am less careful with my first boy as his faceup is quite simple and he has no blush to worry about. My second boy has a lot of blushing and painted nails; I worry about those nails more than anything else as they can leave stains.

15. I don't really bother, I mean I don't go rubbing his face or anything, but I'm not strict on the no touching sort of deal. I guess I just don't really care as much because I bought the doll to play with. As long as I'm careful not to scratch it I don't mind touching the head.

16. I touched my dolls face when I first got him, because it's my first bjd and I wanted to see what it felt like. I also touched the lashes. Now, I don't touch it because it's a limited faceup.

17. I don't obsessively touch my doll's face. But if I do, I don't obsessive over it. As long as your faceup has been sealed properly, touching it now and again isn't going to deteriorate the whole thing. It's one thing to brush your fingers over the face, and another to violently rub your hands all over it.

18. I really try and avoid it, unless it's... unavoidable! I grab them round the back of the head to position their heads... I actually find it easier, 'cause I'm keeping the wig in place at the same time by doing that, so, less chance of wig-slippage! :D

19. Her faceup seems very durable.. I accidentally MSC'd a pastel smudge onto it, and I tried to erase it (cuz what was there to lose) and it sure didn't erase. XD;; But I try not to get her greasy by touching it too much. (I don't always wash my hands before I pick her up.) It's easy to pose the head without touching much of the face, after all. But now I know it can handle abuse. I even polished up her nose and ears with a paper towel because they looked a little flat. The MSC polished nicely, and the blushing stayed put.

20. I can do my own faceups, so I really don't mind touching my doll's face because I can always redo it. I do however, get a bit squeamish when OTHERS (especially people I don't know very well) try to handle her at all! Let alone touch her face. (I don't mind the idea of having to redo her faceup because I have worn it away, but the thought of someone else ruining it drives me insane!) Of course, I don't go and rub her face or anything. Just, if I do touch it I don't get worried.