1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Touching your own doll's face

May 19, 2010

1. no touchi.
      way too many hours of work to get it just right.
      slip of the finger nail ...
      yes, it dose happen ... too many tears to remember.

2. I only touch my dolls' faces if I've done the faceups myself. Otherwise, no, I don't. Three of my dolls have company faceups, two of which are limited, and I'd never be able to fix them if they got scratched or chipped.

3. /raises hand I'm guilty XD I touch Nami's face all the time. I mean, I only touch her chin and her ears for posing, but sometimes I lightly touch her lips just because I like to, and I brush her bangs over her eyebrows all the time. It's a company faceup, but it's already slightly damaged, and it's the default DoD factory faceup... while it's beautiful, it would be no huge tragedy to me if it got ruined and I sent her off for a custom one. I'm a more careful with my boys, since they have commissioned faceups, although if they were slightly damaged, they could most likely be repaired...

4. I usually avoid touching my doll's faceup's at all costs. Well... Unless the situation is unavoidable. I really try and preserve the faceup's that they have for the longest possible time. I really dont want to damage them. I also steer others away from there face's. Usually a good hint about the cost of one keeps there fingers from venturing too close to them. XD

5. I touch my dolls faces all the time. Even ones who went overseas for faceup, even ones who's faceup was seriously pricy. I am gentle and carefull with my dolls, and I have short nails, so when I touch thier faces, I am not worried that I'll damage faceup with it o_o There was only one time faceup of my doll was damaged - when she fell facedown. But because of my touch? Never, ever.

6. When my dolls are in the presence of strangers, I'll usually warn people to refrain from touching their faces, if they look as though they've GOT to touch the dolls at all. It's something to do with the fact that I know that I'm able to control the amount of force(?) I use when I'm touching their faces, which I'm not sure of strangers. I'm afraid of having to deal with people scratching/smudging my resins' face-ups; asking for compensation and what-not sounds fine in theory, but actually broaching it up... >_>

Even when I'm touching my own dolls' faces, I'll make sure that I've washed my hands with detergent first - as oil-free as possible. <-- I'm laughed at by my cousins for this. They think it's pretty extreme for me to be obsessed with hand-washing just for my dolls. :/

7. I do my own face-ups, so I don't worry about touching them. They get a lot of playtime and handling, though I usually position their's heads by the back of the head. I'm actually guilty of the mom-thing that we all hated as kids: see a smudge on the face or hands, lick my thumb and wipe it off! I actually haven't had a problem with the face-ups chipping or smudging unless the face strikes something hard. I sometimes seems like the color on the cheeks fades a bit over time... could be rubbing off... but I just touch it up and re-seal it in a few minutes.

8. I'm pretty careful about touching the faces of my dolls. If I have to, I'll touch the ears to move the head, but typically they're wearing a hat that I can grip to change the position of the head if need be. It may sound silly, but I hate when someone touches my face, and I think that kind of subconsciously reflects in how I care for my dolls. I know that there's an issue with grease buildup from the naturally occuring oils on human hands, but I think that reason is actually secondary to the fact that I just don't like to.

9. I try to be careful of touching my modded head's face-up, just because it's gorgeous and I'd hate to mess it up before she even got a body. It's really well put on, and the only real wear I've experienced with it is a small bit of her eye makeup flaking off where the makeup is thicker, and that's only because I was handling it pretty roughly to get sticky eye putty out. And I make sure my hands are relatively clean when messing with them. Most of my paranoia with faceups comes from the obligatory fussy-resin-mommy thing. I probably wouldn't care much with my own Face-ups, since I could always redo them.
      So basically, I'm careful with faceups done by others, especially if they're good. And for my own I'm not too bothered by it, unless my own work is good; then I'd try to preserve it.

10. i try to be careful the more i can

11. I always touch my girls face, but I've had her for over a year, versus my boy whom I got about a month ago. I know its sealed well, and I clean my dolls regularly. Even if the face does get messed up, I'm brave enough to do it myself. :)

12. I try not to touch them if I don't have to. I do not do any of the faceups of my dolls and I'm very fond of their current faceups so I'd like them to last as long as possible, especially the ones that are company LE's. [My mother's Censya has kept her default for over three years now.]

The inevitable light fingertip brush on the surface when removing strands of stubborn hair is not an issue to me as I keep my nails very short and ensure my fingers are clean, but I generally do not like people touching my dolls' faces unless they are people I'm on good terms with.

13. Well, I only really touch her face whenever moving her hair.
      Other than that, I always hold the sides of her head to move her, cause I'm too paranoid to touch her face.

14. although one of my dolls have a faceup done by me, i still try not to touch his face, only touching his ears (unblushed) to move his head. the other has a commissioned faceup, and i'm pretty scared to touch the visible areas, cos the faceup's really pretty. even the ears are blushed. :D so... i just try to only touch places that'll be covered by a wig should anything happen.

and i always try to make sure that my hands are clean (free of sweat and dirt and whatnot) when i touch them. ^^

[edited]
      and i usually have short nails, except like now, when i have to leave them long for my guitar exam. so i do use my finger tips to brush dirt or dust from their faces.

15. Yeah, I touch my dolls' faces, but I try to avoid touching lips and eyes too often.

16. Is it REALLY that easy to rub a doll's face-up off? It seems like everyone's saying it could happen if you touch the face only a handful of times. I thought they make stuff so that it doesn't rub off.

17. I never touch her face, knowing that I won't get any more in the near future just makes me want to make sure that she doesn't get damaged in any way possible!!!

18. I touch them a lot. I do their face ups so I think I am a bit too relaxed about this :)

19. Well now getting more used to my doll, I touch his face a bit.. But I usually stay away from his eyes and lips. If I need to move his head I'll take him by the sides of his head or the top and bottom. Sometimes, when I change his eyes, it gets awkward and I have to touch the faceup around his eyes @.@
      Surprisingly, and I don't know how this happened, but part of his faceup is chipping on his eye ;^; But it's easily fixable because it's just a bit of black.~
      But sometimes I try to be careful about his faceup, because I really like it and don't want to erase it (it's the company default and I've never done a faceup before so I could never replicate it LOL)

20. I play with Chae-ri's hair all the time (she of the 20 wigs) and I can't help touching her face. To date I haven't so much as mussed her eyelashes. Then again, I've only had her two months...