1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Touching your own doll's face

May 19, 2010

1. I definitely touch the faces of my dolls. Since I sew for them often it just comes with the territory. I am a bit ocd about making sure I wash my hands before touching and to only do it when necessary. There was a point where I'd wear white cotton gloves while handling my dolls during photo shoots; since I was being so damn grabby hands it just seemed necessary since I do get "all in my dolls faces" when I photograph them...it seems integral to getting different shots of the dolls that help create the illusion of different facial expressions occurring due to shifting angles, light, shadow etc. But its hard to keep the "white glove" habit up, strangely enough. Plus, if I change the direction their eyes are gazing there's no getting around touching their faces and there go the gloves...

So I'm just extra careful with their faces and dollie bath day is a reality in my house about once every 40-60 days for the dolls that get handled often...

So far its my Eldfoll Standard K, Sasha Alexzandre, that I can't seem to keep my hands off of. I'm constantly brushing hair from his face even if I'm just passing him on my way to do other things about the house. Could be a sign its time for me to get a wig for him that allows me to easily see both his eyes, lol. But I think even if I got a different wig for him I'd still be compelled to touch his lovely face on occasion. Just means he gets a light face washing every now and then:)

2. I touch it all the time. I know I shouldn't, but I just cant help it he's to pretty.

3. It's hard to put the wigs on my ToYouSara because I avoid touching her face at all costs - I am sure her faceup is secure it is just so perfect I don't dare risk it. I can see why people use white cotton gloves!

4. I try to avoid it whenever I can. Main reasons to touch my BJD faces for, the few times I do and always carefully, are getting poses or handling with them for dressing. However, I wash my hands before taking them and for sure also when I have to touch their faces always I may and I never touch them if my hands are not completely clean.

5. I do try to be careful but as I am the one who did the faceup I do not mind if it "breaks off" since I can always do it again ^__^

Though I am super careful with those with company or commissioned faceups since those cost money xP

6. I do not touch my doll's face... I remember in the past week or so.. my boyfriend picked up my doll and touched her face.. I screamed, "What the _____ are you doing?!?! Don't ____ing touch her face!!!" I usually am a pretty mellow person too. I think I scared the crap out of him.

7. I plan on redoing my girl's faceup, so I'm not really concerned about touching her face at the moment (especially since she's so tight I basically have to man-handle her to pose her). When her faceup is done, though, I'll definitely be more gentle.

8. I touch my dolls face, but only to perk her eyelashes up, because the get droopy sometimes. I am very protective over her when other people hold her though. She has her default face-up, so I suppose I should be a little more careful.

9. I touch his face to an extent. His chin, and a good distance away from the tears that are painted on, but that's about it. I'm scared to death something will happen to my boys' face up and since he's a limited I'm doubly scared that if something -did- happen to it, Dollmore would tell me to bad and wouldn't repaint him. o.o So I treat his face like it's gold. LoL