1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Transgender/intergender dolls?

Jan 7, 2014

1. [​IMG]IMG_2558 by ManabuLi010, on Flickr

I had completely forgotten about this thread, but here is Danya, my IH Rania and DZ hybrid :) Danya is an AMAB. I haven't quite decided yet on what character to go for. But Danya do not identify with the gender assigned to Danya at birth.

The first thing I thought of were a character based on the Ukrainian fashion model "Stav Strashko". I also wanted to base my Rania hybrid on another model by the name "Emil Andersson" for a while. But that had something to do with my unhealthy envy for him, so I have put that thought away. But I think that Strashko is a better choice to base Danya on. Strashko is an AMAB, but identify as a woman. I assume Strashko does not experience any dysphoria. From what I've read she do not want any reassignment surgery and am comfortable and happy with tha body she was born with. I think the IH Rania face fit well an androgyneous male born Ukrainian like model charackter.

The second thing I thought of were making Danya more like me. Someone who is still questioning, but does not feel completely comfortable with either male or female pronouns, or gender neutral pronouns. I prefer to just use my name and be referred to by my name. But Danya's clothing preference are sometimes more feminine, and other times more gender neutral. But Danya can also dress more boyish I guess. Danya just dresses in what ever Danya likes. Whereas I just like gender neutral clothes and shoulder long hair.

#181 manabusama, Sep 3, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    2. What kind of sculpt is it?

3. @WeLoveGuu I'm definitely guilty of what you describe in some ways, I have a male sculpt with an unmodded male body that represents a nonbinary/genderfluid character. I originally got the sculpt because it's super cute and I have no plans to change the body because it's surprisingly lovely and poses well and fits the clothing I want to use to style xer with but you've made me consider how harmful and fetishistic that can be. I don't particularly see Gilly as a male character though, and don't use male pronouns for xer so I hope I can demonstrate something more natural than harmful.

I've been considering how to approach an FtM character I'm shelling and it's been a challenge. I don't want to buy a female body and mod it myself since most female bodies are very very feminine and not appropriate for the build and look my fellow has. But the only other options are to buy something modded and hope it fits, or else get an androgynous body and sculpt it myself to give him the right musculature and so on. I've been considering the Island Doll Angel body because it doesn't seem to feature strong secondary sexual characteristics...but I don't really like the look of it. It reminds me more of a childlike or adolescent body than an adult body, which is not appropriate for this character.

4. I never thought about a transgender/intersex doll, but that’s seriously such an exciting idea! I’m non-binary myself, and I’d love to make a non-binary/trans doll! I think it’d be interesting to make an anatomically correct trans doll, but if someone wants to make their doll trans without doing any modifications I think that’s great too!

5. One of my dolls' characters is gender non-conforming. He was born male, and is per fectly comfortable with his body and being a "he". He has a feminine hairstyle, and often wears flamboyant or feminine clothes. He is who he is, regardless of how others expect him to act.

I have a gender fluid doll planned, who identifies as neither and both genders. I'm planning a Dollzone 1/6 body for them that will make them intergender compared with my other dolls.

#185 Leo Pheonix, Oct 31, 2018
      Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    6. I have one such character I keep forgetting to post about in this thread.

Azabien is based off a character I started developing more back in April. Born not knowing which gender they were supposed to identify as due to being a natural shapeshifter stuck between male and female at birth, Azabien is the non-binary member of my crew (Azabien's from a universe where certain abilities exist, including shapeshifting). They never really identified as either gender while growing up, settling with they as their self identification. When they left home to pursue a career in a traveling theater troupe, they took easily to the stage as they became whatever character they were set to perform.

Azabien can change their looks at will, but likes to stick with a default look that's a middle range look of androgyny. I chose the Resinsoul 70cm slim boy body for them due to how androgynous it was in shape and appearance.

How Azabien currently looks:
      [​IMG]

I was inspired a bit by Jinkx Monsoon for Azabien's appearance. Jinkx is one of my favorite queens, especially of the lot who've been on Rupaul's Drag Race (I'm a huge fan of the show). :D

7. I have a trans guy doll. He is on the k-17 DC body. So it is a female body and I dont intend on modifying but he is definitely a guy.

My next project doll, that I am waiting for the head to come in for, is also going to be female body, unmodded, but still a boy.

Which is completely valid. people don't need to have body modifying surgery to be trans and present right.

8. One of my characters is genderqueer. Hyacinth is afab, presents more on the masculine end, has more dysphoria regarding their chest than the plumbing, and prefers they/them or he/him pronouns.

Might mod a body at some point, but it is a kind of long project. Never done a body mod besides dyeing so I'm intimidated. Have them on a male body at the moment because it is easier to buy masculine clothes and sewing patterns for that and sanding off a penis would be faster than sanding off boobs. Hyacinth's build is meant to be more on the "tube" end than the "hourglass" end, anyhow.

Hyacinth is from a setting with technology that doesn't go past about early/mid 19th century and had a mastectomy that left really bad scarring due to some combo of technological/knowledge limitations and grabbing the first doctor or med student that wouldn't blab about it. Hyacinth is also has a little bit of a tummy from a life of aristocratic excess, so also got that to add on. So lots of torso and hip modding to do.

9. My ringo(cherish doll chubby) is genderfluid! The way it came about was I purchased them as a male, put them in female clothes because that's what I had on hand and they were like "this is cute" then made them male clothes and they were like "this is cute too!". I also have an alien doll(Coco tribe faye) and a cyborg (magical angel sherry) who use femine pronouns that match their appearance but aren't really any human gender when it comes down to it.

#189 ankhensepnamun, Nov 25, 2018
      Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    10. I've actually made the downpayment for my next doll, who has been on my wishlist for maaaany years now and will be a trans guy!
      But I haven't had a boy in years and I am not looking forward to finding a suitable short wig xP this is the main reason I've put off the project for so long :sweat :sweat

Although I have also sent an inquiry to the company to send me a second bust part, in case I mess up the mod or change my mind about the character :sweat I love the face sculpt so I am confident I will want to keep the doll, but I wouldn't put it past me to change my plans and make an entirely new character for it <_<

11. I have a trans girl who started off as a drag queen ^^. The head is a Narae 404 on a little monica female/flat chested body. I'm going to get an actual bimong body with bigger breasts so she can feel comfortable with herself!

12. I did not want to modify my doll with the body of a feminine boy, so I just picked up women's clothes, hairstyle and face-up for her.

13. Though I don't currently own a trans doll, I'm open to the idea! As an nb person, I'd love to have a doll like me- but I just haven't found a sculpt that "clicked" with me yet for one. :3nodding:

14. Oh my god, do I ever. Being trans myself it's just sort of grown around me.

My Heather is a transmasc nonbinary dude who basically wears/does whatever he wants. Long hair? Kept that because he loves his hair and would've regretted cutting it off. He didn't change his name when he transitioned either and honestly, you really don't have to. He hasn't had any surgeries. I only gave his doll form top surgery because you can't exactly bind resin boobs, so... clothes never would've looked right.

I thought he'd wear sundresses and stuff like he did when he was a teenager, but it waaay didn't work out. He's more frumpy with hoodies and pants these days... because gender presentation comfort can change at any time, and his did.

Meadow my incoming Dojin is almost certainly gender queer in some capacity, so I'm looking forward to working with that. Men's and women's fashion in one doll with few limitations? Yes please.

It's funny to me as a trans person that I have multiple transman characters who didn't change their birth name (I have a Winter and an Ash[ley] in this category as well). I ran as far from my birth name as possible - and now my legal name, because I chose it hastily when I was 18. Literally anything was better than my birth name.

And all my others are LGB somewhere except one. She's the sweetest little ally ever though.

15. I don't have one at the moment, but I have a Demi-girl character that I plan to shell eventually! She uses feminine pronouns, but is more comfortable and confident presenting as masculine. Ringo sees herself as female, but only in a very loose sense. I also have a non-binary character named Charlie as well as an older Trans-man called Rook. Both of those characters would be wonderful to have dolls for! ...Maybe Rook especially, since my boyfriend has a bit of a crush on the old man. X3

16. I have a male doll that I consider more gender neutral than masculine (demi-boy would probably be the best term). He’s my first (and so far only) bjd and I think I made him as a sort of Mary Sue character. I wanted to explore style and sort of live vicariously through him (read: flat chest).
      Being genderqueer myself, I knew I wanted a character that didn’t align perfectly with the gender binary, and would be flexible but comfortable in their identity, something I still struggle to have.
      So, along came Wren! He’s not super masculine, and as a Doll Leaves 42 cm boy, he’s short for an msd (of any sex) and has softer features, both in his face and body, than many male presenting bjds.
      I’m still working to finish his character, more specifically his story, so he’s a work in progress, but then again, aren’t we all? :-)

17. One of the dolls I'm waiting on right now (Mystic Kids Francis SP) I'm planning to make a trans man. I'm going to include top surgery scars as part of his customization.

18. I have a head on the way to shell my character Deimos, who is an AFAB nonbinary (Like me!!). We both use they/them pronouns. Deimos’ head is a Luts NaNuRi 07, and I’m looking to find a good small chested female body to pop the head on. Their story is that they were an artist before becoming an angel and now they fight monsters in the apocalypse. They were always nonbinary though, becoming an angel didn’t change that.

19. I have one. Its head comes from a girl (officially set) and its body is a boy. That's what I planned to do before I bought it. Coincidentally, the seller has such a position. I bought it. But now it seems that the child's face is too feminine. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a boy. And it's a quarter of the size, so it can't tell gender when it's wearing clothes.:XD:

20. I'm nonbinary, so lgbt representation is super important to me. Despite that, I don't have any trans or nonbinary dolls yet? I'm hoping to shell an oc of mine who's agender and another that's a trans man, however.

I'll be honest, while I greatly enjoy mods to a doll's body to change their gender, or making a hybrid of female and male body parts, I don't always think it's necessary? There are plenty of trans men and women who look just like cis men and women, and plenty of nonbinary or intersex people who have traditionally "male" or "female" body types.