1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble with small dolls? X_x;

Aug 1, 2005

1. I have more troubles with my SD size doll, she's harder to grasp and take hold of since she's so large. I would have gotten her in mini size if I could have. Koushirou can rest perfectly in my cleavage-- maybe you should try that? XD!

2. I'm average, 5'8, and when I got my first mini outfit in the mail, I couldn't believe how *big* it was. XD I think it depends on which doll size you bond with first. Now I find SD size GINORMOUS. XD

3. Kelyn usually perches on my shoulder, which seems to be the most comfortable place for him. And that means I only have to keep one hand up there to keep him from falling off. AND if I'm standing still, I usually don't even need a hand up there to keep him from falling. XD Kelyn is very good about balancing.

Anyway, I like both sizes. *snugs her Kel who has joined her at work today* Just ordered Aneirin so that I'll have a big and little boy. :3

4. Oh my god..

i can't believe what i've done.

Now i have good reasons why MSD sized dolls are trouble.

I've just sucked myself into the world of SD sized dolls now i know Lucas's head mold is available T.T (Lucas of which sucked me into this world altogether and whom i cried to forget because i didn't want to be a part of such expense).... has made me reconsider everything about having my set of DoD dolls

And it blows.

... the joy of having MSD sized dolls was the ability to fit wigs better and longer around the face and jawline...now they're going to be shorter than mop sized! ....

as well as the size convenience... imagine taking five dolls to a freaking model shoot ; one person; one carry bag.

gagh. The problem with small dolls is the effort a crap camera has to go through to take close up photos of them...

the paintbrushes are smaller...and the detailing is much more intricate

Your dolls look like midgets in a big gathering...

and you miss out on the SD molds like Lucas.

.... The good things about msd sized dolls...are the fact you can love them not taking up so much room. You can fit them all in your bed... (kidding...imagine rolling on one! ahh.... :o )

The selection you have to pick from MSD sized dolls is very restricted. (Admit it...if it we'ren't for DoD you'd be looking at a kiddie society)

So yes.
      I have converted...and i wish i hadn't.

I've already started plans for modding Tender too now that i know i'm never going to keep him ....

5. That's so true. :P I'm SO glad the DoD molds are fairly mature compared to other MSDs. I also really want Hugo or Lucas, but seeing that I can get an MSD that also fits my character for a lot less, and a size that makes him easier to carry around.. @_@ Godsend.

6. Exactly.

I don't know why i'm in such a mindset about larger dolls. I actually DON'T like larger sized dolls... it's all AR Kai's fault! :evil:

And now i'm crying over the fact i'll be getting two different sized dolls very soon (DoD and AR fair)..and i've already had the one i despited at the beginning start to grow on me a lot.I mean I HATE him... but its just...weird how i can't seem to let him go. (not a love hate relationship mind you....just.... gagh!)

MSD sized character for less is the perfect alternative than having to own larger sized dolls because you are right; they cost less to maintain and their molds are so aesthetically satisfying; DoD's for me anyway.

I just don't know...what is making me think that 5 SD dolls is the way to go.
      I like MSD sized...MSD sized wigs...MSD sized boots..MSD sized clothes...
      the only thing i dont like MSD sized is the face... because i just know painting it would a greater deal of time to accomplish.

It doesn't help that i've ordered several items for the DoD anyway....does it :: grumble ::

7. If only an artist would start making unique mature-looking MSD-size heads. :P They'd make a lot of money.

8. If only design copyright wasn't so easy to rip designers off... i'd be up for it

Australia also doesn't have any kind of ... resin availability that i know of..

I know a perfect mold to make and would have tried it whilst doing highschool had any sources popped up.

But agreed.
      They would make a lot of money...especially if they made the resin to match the more popular doll body models!!

9. For me... Smaller is better ^^;

I have no room at my house and all my plushes and ragdolls are about DoD sized... so I guess I'm trained.

I cant wait until I get mine ;-;

10. I actually intended to order a SD, but once I saw AR Ren, I was hooked... *lol* That and the fact that MSDs are easier to carry around, more 'portable', in that sense. ^^

And also, my room doesn't have space for a SD... T_T

11. actually I had this sort of problem at first. I had been set on getting a full size SD, but they were too expensive for my parents (and they were buying me my first doll) so I sort of settled for an adorable MSD. Settled is really a wrong word cause I really wanted her I was a tad disapointed tho not to get a big one tho.

But then I got her and at first I was very nervous and even felt a little disapointed, but then we got to know each other and now I think I wouldn't be able to handle a big one...o.o We'd probably both die... It did take a while to find a comfortbale way to carry her tho. sometimes a carry her in the crook of my elbow like you discribe, but sometimes she rides on my shoudlers and hang onto her hands.

I wish you the best of luck with your mini, but just remember that just because its what some people prefer doesn't mean its right for you and maybe minis just aren't for you.

12. I was afraid when I got my U that he'd be too small, but when he arrived he was absolutely the perfect size. I'm getting a Dimo, and later will be getting a Yder, and I'm scared they're going to be too big for my tastes. The bigger dolls look so huge and I'm so used to my perfect mini. I can't imagine not bonding with the bigger dolls though. Also, I'm a small person, I have really small hands and I'm only 5"3'. I guess they'd feel tiny to me, too, if I was so tall!

-Lishy

13. Why are people so bitter that most MSD look like children? They're made to look younger than SD or they wouldn't be smaller o_O It'd look really strange to have mature SD next to...mature MSD? If my seven year old cousin (MSD proportions) looked as mature as I do (SD13 proportions) that would be plenty freaky. You lose the realism that way, and DoD honestly doesn't look any more mature to me than Volks or Delf or AR minis. They're just skinnier. If you want a mature doll, get a big one or a Unoa/Sharmin type doll. They're not THAT much more expensive unless you want some sort of ltd.

More on topic, I have the same problem with minis. They're hard for me to hold or carry or sit comfortably with. Tooru (Ani) tilts and falls over if I move, because he tends to get locked into a position because he's so light. Audrey (El) can shift when I move, and his weight keeps him stable. Audrey can also be carried sitting on my arm and not move around much. It's just more convenient, if a little heavier. The weight is reassuring to me.

14. I think that depends on why you want an MSD. If you already have SDs and want your other dolls to fit in with them, it would make sense to have the smaller dolls look younger. However, some people just like the size of the MSDs and don't need them to fit proportionally with SD dolls.

Weather or not, to me, the MSD's look mature depends greatly on their faces and there are a number of smaller dolls (AR LF and DOD especially) that I think look like teenagers and young adults--at least with the boys. Of course wigs, face-ups and clothes could also play a part in making them look more or less mature. Having leaner bodies (like the often mentioned DODs) also helps them look a bit older.

I like the smaller size dolls and don't need them to look in scale with an SD. :daisy

15. Again, Pata, it's all about tastes. I find several SD size VERY boyish,and some MSD very mature. It's all about how they're portrayed. Smaller size and larger size does not automatically determine age. ;)

16. Really? That's how I carry my boys around all the time . . . settled on my arm (in the crook of my elbow if I have one (otherwise one in the crook the other right beside him). O_o;

Maybe that has something to do with height difference? (I'm somewhere around 5'4-5'5)

17. I have a 1/6 Obitsu and the problem I have with her is she drops an arm off the soft torso very easily.

18. Well I'm not to short, but I'm very dainty? [93-97 pounds, 5'3-5'4? 5'5-5'7[?] with shoes on. Yay platforms . _ .' ...]

SD feels like carrying around a tree. D:

As for mature MSD's
      I would think MSD Minime's would look more mature? Also some people might feel certain doll companies have more mature-ish looking MSD's

If I was 6foot, I'd probably stuff an msd into some cargo pants pockets, or a bum-bag/Fanny-pack. Probably even a purse...

Since MSD's are more suited to my shape and size, My MSD girl sits on my foot wrapping her arms and legs around my ankle or in my arms, a hand etc. ^-^