1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Two or Three Part Torsos?

May 23, 2020

1. I really like the flexibility that 3 parts give for tiny dolls. A lot of their poseability is a bit complicated because of their size, so that third joint is a lot of fun to work with for cute posing options. :) 2 and even no joints are fine also, though!

2. .

#22 Gintsumi, May 28, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    3. I definitely prefer 3-part, they move more naturally and just look a lot prettier in my opinion.

That being said, a fair number of my dolls do have a 2-part torso design, and that's fine too. I've come to discover that the longer I'm in the hobby, the more I'm willing to compromise in terms of body engineering flaws as long as the sculpt itself is nice to look at. A majority of my dolls are super covered up/modest anyway, so ugly joints and whatnot don't really matter, not to mention I'm not a very "active" collector (as in, my dolls spend a majority of their time standing on the shelf looking pretty), so I don't need a whole lot of flexibility and whatnot.

4. Although I like the poseablity of a jointed torso I much prefer a solid torso (which is sort of strange as I never dress my dolls in a way where one would be able to see the torso joints or lack thereof). It can be sort of frustrating when posing them though.

5. My first boy have a 3 part torso and my second have a two part torso. I like both.

6. I’ve only ever had 2-part Torso dolls, and I like the aesthetic with the hips. However, I wouldn’t be opposed to getting a 3-part torso just see what the mobility is like.

7. I don't require my dolls to be posing champs, so 2-part or 3-part both work for me... I even have two Volks SD10s that don't have torso joints at all. They're a little awkward sometimes, but I don't hate the way they're made.

8. Neither. I prefer the single torso. I prefer easier restringing and easier maintenance for when I change a doll (I clean my doll bodies with the white sponge or very fine sandpaper every time I change them). Plus, I like the look of single torso even though no one sees it except me.

I know there are many beautiful dolls out there with excellent posing, and I really enjoy seeing all the cool poses a lot of dolls can make, but I like to keep things simple for myself. Just the other day I wanted to remove seam lines on a doll while watching a movie and could only do the top half of the doll before I realised how late it was at that point. I did not get to bed until after midnight :roll:

9. I had both in my hand and I must say that it very much depends on the construction of the joints. Personally, I prefer bodies that I can bend well, easy and naturally in the clothing and whose aesthetics appeal to me. My best meeting with a 3-part torso was with DT17 girl body.

10. I tend to prefer two-part torsos for aesthetic reasons, though I don't really mind three-part ones. I avoid unjointed torso for their lack of posability. I don't like them for off-topic fashion dolls, so I wouldn't like them for BJDs.

11. Two part torsos for aesthetics bjd dools and three parts for my off topic customs.

12. 3 part torsos don't do much for me.

I notice the most common pose for my dolls is a mild slouch so they don't slam backwards when sitting for a long time and I don't need a waist joint for that

13. I would never buy a solid torso doll. I don’t think I have a strong preference otherwise. I like two-part with the split under the chest or ribs, it looks the most human. And I also like the enhanced posing with three-part, preferably with all three pieces at the waist or above. This allows poses that look the most realistic IMO. My least favorite is 3-part with one piece being a diaper-like pelvis piece :p I’m still not sure why so many artists use this configuration. But it’s still not a deal breaker. I have one and plan to buy another doll with that configuration.

#33 aliquotiens, Jan 23, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    14. When I first started I thought I would only get three part torso dolls. But then I realized it wasn't that big a deal for me, as long as it wasn't solid and the torso looked good to my eyes. I don't really get the two parts with only a break at the waist because that is practically a solid torso to me, but it isn't a common configuration anyway. If the doll can slouch, I'm good.

15. 3 part torso is not a deal break for me but I prefer a 2 part torso lol, as long the 3 part works well with clothes, sometimes I find them don't. To be honest, I have no big issue with 3 part if the I like the sculp of the doll's face.

16. I have zero preference as long as all parts of the torso actually do the job they were made for. My #1 pet peeve is pointless joints. If they don't work (and I've owned so many that don't) why are they even there? That little wiggle that a lower torso joint does? That's useless. It does nothing and it's pointless. Just make a two-part with a good chest joint. A chest joint that you have to pull apart to use? Also useless unless your dolls are naked all the time and you can actually get to the joint to make it work. I also really dislike lower torso joints that pop out of place drastically - not even like old Dollshe, that doesn't bother me at all, the one on Popodoll that just doesn't stay put and makes me want to throw the whole doll out the window is the one I'm thinking of right now. But at least it does aid in posing, so I deal with the annoyance XD

17. i prefer 2-part torsos myself i think they look much better and give enough possibility to still be good, 3-part torsos i would consider unless its one of those hideous diaper joints a lot of doll company's seem to be making now, i wouldn't even consider buying a doll with one of those bodies even if i adored everything else about the sculpt thats how much i hate them

18. For the most part, I really don’t like the three part torso especially when the hip part slips around. Very annoying. I also find it takes from the aesthetics of the sculpt. For the torso joint, I prefer it to be under the chest. Not a fan of the joint located at the ribs. That being said, I don’t mind a three part torso in tiny dolls, probably because the aesthetics are less of a concern.

19. Mobility isn't a huge priority for me to be honest. It's mainly body's aesthetic that matters, so if the body is beautiful I won't care that much. However I don't think I'd ever buy a doll with a single torso, there's just too little articulation options in such bodies even for me.
      Both dolls I currently own have two-parts torso and even if they aren't the greatest posers their body shapes fit the characters they represent and that's what matters the most to me tbh.

#39 Ravenheart, Feb 3, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 3, 2021