1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unconventional face-ups: to do, or not to do?

Feb 13, 2017

1. The waist of a tiny, and the hips of a SD!

2. I don't currently have a doll with a very unconventional faceup, but I have in the past. I had a Dollshe Bernard who had three faceplate--one sleeping, two open eyed, and the character was very into burlesque and theater at night but worked a normal job during the day, so I had one faceplate with a very natural look and another with heavy Vaudeville style makeup.

I had another doll in the past who alternated between masculine, feminine and ust plain weird in character, and I always felt like I should have bought multiple heads for that doll, but the head I had was no longer available, so it never happened.

I think in the future if I get another doll who does need drastically different looks at different times, I might do that. I may even consider it with my next girl--she's very rocker/vampire/goth, but also a college student, so maybe I'll get her two heads so she can be casual or all out ready for a dark creepy party.

3. The idea of a doll having multiple faucets of character is really appealing to me. I actually hadn't thought of buying multiple heads before this thread, lol. I was legit going to buy entirely new dolls for every little bit of their personality :sweatat least this way creativity isn't as limited!

And the masculine/feminine alteration is totally something I want to do with a doll as well! <3

4. Do you guys have any dolls with unconventional face-ups that you're very happy you have?

Only a couple of my dolls have faceups, but here's my most conventional unconventional faceups:
      I guess the only "unconventional" part is her left eyebrow
      [​IMG]

Here's another completed faceup. He's has what was supposed to be a port-wine stain birthmark (The Grand Budapest Hotel made an impact, OK), but I think he accidentally turned into my cat. Unlike my cat, he will not be named Muffin Man.
      [​IMG]

Here's the character that "Pip" was supposed to be, but the dyeing didn't work for Pip. She's not faceupped, but she probably fits the bill for "unconventional," either way. She's a character inspired by a friend I had in college who suffered two lectures of Chemistry back-to-back with me:
      [​IMG]

The final doll also doesn't have a faceup, but it will be a continuation of the rock detail that makes up the mod on her face. She's Kore, the goddess of vegetation and growth from Greek Myth. Because she lives part of the year underground, she's a bit inspired by that bean sprout experiment everyone does in grade school where you grow one plant in the dark and one in the light and the one in the dark produces less chlorophyll and is therefore washed out, so she'll have pink/red eyes and a washed-out complexion:
      [​IMG]

All my other dolls look very different from their original sculpt (I can't stop myself from modding!), but I'm not sure I would consider the unconventional aspect of their appearance a "faceup."

Or do you have ones that you wish had a more normalized face-up?

I don't wish any of my dolls were more conventionally attractive or had more "normal" faceups. There are fashion magazines for that!

Here's my most "normal" faceup, which I also don't regret:
      [​IMG]

Anyway, I say go for it if you want a less conventional faceup--If you regret it, you an always wipe it and try again--although I personally love Lethe's aesthetic.

5. The doll that's on his way to me right now is going to have an unconventional faceup! He's a selkie (a mythical creature that's part seal), so I'm hoping to get a faceup that's still realistic but with a fantasy twist. I want some mixes of greys and white, some pink accents, dark great freckles... He also has a fairly large scar over one of his eyes, so that'll add some character too. Hopefully it'll turn out well when it's all done! :3nodding:

6. As soon as I saw his smile back when he was still a prototype I knew he'd be mine. I'm not normally one for teeth, but his grin is so deranged that I just couldn't help myself. He even stands right next to my bed so in the mornings the first thing I see is him grinning at me. It's strangely comforting. :) He spends most of his time lurking in dark corners and trying to hide from my mad scientist.

7. I fell in love with a Pipos Cheshire Cat that belongs to a friend, I saw it at a doll meet, it had the usual cheerful standard company faceup. I wanted one so badly! However, at the time, the company was not offering that faceup, it was doing a "Dark, Mysterious" theme, and was only selling it as a full set with an elaborate purple and black faceup with lots of stitched up scarring. I did not like it, but I wanted the doll so badly I ordered it anyway. I thought I would just wipe the face as soon as I got it, and give him something more conventional, but when he arrived, his crazed manic grin melted my heart, and slowly I fell in love with that wild, creepy little face, four years latter he is still wearing his bloody, scarred stitched up face and all. I guess I just got used to him, and that is just how he is supposed to look to me.

8. Once I had crush on an artist face up head but I didn't manage to grab it .. I can't recall on which website I saw that. Now 3 years passed I still remember what the face up looks like

9. I know that feel. And it's kind of sad! It feels like pure regret, lol

10. Oh yes, very much so.

My Iplehouse SID Stella, Scarlet, is horribly bleak; looks dead inside, and the messy eye makeup can't hide the pain and exhaustion. Her body? Covered in nasty scrapes, bruises and cuts.

I wouldn't have her any other way. She represent what is easily the worst point in that character's life, as well the most evocative -- a fighter with all of her strength for the world to see. That she's survived this long says it all.

Basically what I'm trying to say is: it all depends on the story and/or concept you're trying to present. A doll like the one you're interested in is unlikely to convey consistent happiness; rather that's desirable or not is up to you.