1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected BJD Sightings

Jun 29, 2010

1. wait when was this Abney Park Concert cause I went last year with my MNF

2. I live in a small town, so I doubt I'll ever see anyone else with a BJD here (unless my sister buys one :XD: ). I only learned about BJDs through DeviantArt. But if I saw someone with one, I'd make sure to chat them up! It's fun to find people that share your interests.:3nodding:

3. Last year when I was at the courthouse (I was a witness at my sister's elopement) I saw a woman who worked there receive one. Apparently it was her birthday and she had been after a particular discontinued sculpt for a while, which was the one she got that day. so yeah, coolness all around.

4. I went to the folk festival and actually in the chinese sellers booth some of the mirrors had bjd images on them XP I was shocked I got into a discussion with her about bjds and how she should sell jewelry for them and such XP we talked a good half hour ish

5. I was at the hatsumi festival at a Japanese garden and museum, and there was a booth at the vendor area dedicated to nothing but BJDs! :D There was a large (I wanna say SD-sized) Jack Sparrow doll. I hadn't seen one in person before, I was rather surprised! (Though, thinking about it now, it doesn't really surprise me 'cause I was at a Japanese festival... ^^; ) It was SO cool! I didn't go up to the booth, though, just admired from afar... :P

6. One time (before I had my dolls) when I went to Michaels to grab some pencils and whatnot for anime class I saw some guy carrying a tan(I think) BJD. I just completely stopped walking and stood there gawking. Luckily there guy didn't see me staring at him. ^-^; My mom had to drag me over to the drawing supplies and then she basically picked everything out for me I was so distracted. We saw him later in the store and he was petting his doll with a rather protective look on his face. When we got to the car the first thing I said was, "Mom! Did you see that dude carrying a ball jointed doll in there?! That's exactly what I want!" Her response was "Nope." After that I was sorta crushed. I should have asked him about his doll myself, since my mom didn't notice him at all. >.>

7. I wish there were BJD sightings here. Id love to see other doll owners with their dolls. ^^ I should get more brave and take one of my dolls around with me. Might drum up some more interest around here..

8. One from the other side of the fence . . .

The other day, I was showing off photos of my new granddaughter at my weekend job (in a public aquarium). My Sei-Tenshi, Kippu, is in a couple of the photos, watching over the baby (three days old at the time of photography) One of the fellows took a look at her, and said "Hey - I know those dolls, they're really popular on the internet!" The next day, he made a point of stopping by and asking about the dolls, VOLKS, the NYC Dolpa (he was pretty disappointed that it was two weeks ago!) - the lot. Seems he's quite enamored of Rosen Maiden... I offered to bring a couple of my resin pals to work next weekend for introductions, as he's never seen one in person, which he seemed pretty excited about!

FWIW . . .

~Bruce

9. I work at a pretty busy petshop and ALL my co-workers know me as the crazy doll chick.

I was cashiering/putting away stock and I happened to see young lady walk by and in her arms was a BJD. I got really excited but didn't want to freak her out so I waited and when she came close to my register I saw how beautiful her and her sisters boy's were and had to ask what sculpts. They were really really nice. The next time they came in with their extended doll family my co-workers from fish departement rushed up to the register to inform me that there were "Girls with those expensive dolls like I have wandering the store". Once again the two were very nice and informative when talking to my fellow co-workers. I just hope we didn't' freak them out too much.

10. May 22nd last year. So, yep... Hi! I was the one with wrist cannon.

11. I've seen dollfies at our Renaissance festival but that doesn't seem like to much of a stretch.

12. i accidently changed the channel while watching family guy with my friends family and there was a doll special on time warner 101 at 10:30pm and i think i saw bjd's in the store xD

13. Ratwithwings oh my god I think I remember you, you had on a really cute corset I was with a really tall guy and I had pigtails.

14. Like some people in here, I am the unexpected sighting. I carry atleast one of my dolls around when I do my usual rounds of all the thrift store and antique malls in town about once a week or so, it changes who I take, but all the shop keepers think they are so awesome, some even will point out doll sized items that are new since I last came in XD. I was out at one many months ago with my first boy and a girl stopped me and was like "Is that a BJD?" It was cool, she didn't own any but thought they were pretty (like so many of us do before we have one of our own :P )

15. Not exactly a direct sighting, but I once walked into a 7-11 to grab some drinks and look for some sewing pins. After finding a mini sewing kit, my eyes caught a sticker on one of the comb-and-mirror sets hanging on the rack.

It was one of the images from this Dream of Doll DOC Too and Bee-a page.

I left the store with my purchases, wondering to myself what bootleggers were going to rip off next...

16. Several years ago, I worked in a craft store. One day two girls and their dolls came in. They didn't come through my register but I did manage to say a quick hello before they left. I ended up meeting one of them again at a meet.

I do have an experience that isn't so much about the doll, but about the owner. I had been taking a class in my college, and made friends with a classmate. There was a meetup about halfway through the semester that I went to, and she was there! All that time that we had spent together in class and such, and we never knew that we were both doll enthusiasts. So awesome. We are rooming together next semester.

17. I don't think it's very likely for me to actually see a BJD in my local area because there's only about six or seven of us across two towns and I don't think that they would take them out at the same time as me being somewhere. :XD:

But I was in a touristy area of Barcelona with my school art trip and we were storming down a hill from a Gaudi museum (I think), and in a souvenier shop we passed, I could have sworn that I saw BJDs printed on plastic handbags. Unfortunately I wasn't able to look at this properly other then spin around like a lunatic doing a gonk face as we went past the shop. I didn't even see if they were stolen images or not, but I wouldn't have minded going back to see.:lol:

18. Haha, I'll write one of my own experiences of me beign the unexpected sighting!

So I just opened my Toki and was playing with him till one of my two friends that were their had to go to work. During that time I found his eyes and popped them in and wanted to show my working friends. So I hopped in the car, drove to Moe's (that southwest burrito subway) and walked into the store with him. My friend was amazed I actually did it XD. He got home later that night and told me that the cashier thought he was creepy T-T.

Two days later I was bringing him to a golf club that was filled to the gills with people, some that went to my high school XD.

19. I was on the bus a while back with my big 62cm boy, and sat next to an older hispanic woman. She was like "No way!" and pulled a Puki Pipi out of her purse! It was nuts!

And I definitely cause sightings, my sister and I take our boys EVERYWHERE!

And they were kind of mean to the girl in this People of Walmart sighting

20. D; Poor girl... She's all pretty and in lolita too. Makes me wonder if I ended up on one of these websites...