1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected BJD Sightings

Jun 29, 2010

1. Was there a thread like this already? O_o Maybe I'm crazy? (it's a strong possibility).

I was at Disney World in Epcot with my friend last April (of 2009), and we wandered over to the Japan area for dinner reservations. If anyone's been there, you know there's a restaurant up the big staircase, and across from that staircase is a little shrine thing, which is up another staircase. Well I wasn't on the second level, just walking around, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a BJD up the stairs by the shrine side. I BOLTED up the stairs and pretty much attacked this girl (who I found on DOA! xD) who was with her friend who also had a BJD. They were both DODs and it was totally awesome and we talked for a short period of time. Then I had to go because of my reservations :(
      But it was still pretty awesome to see, especially in such a HUGE place!

2. Earlier this year, I was working at a beauty supply store and babbling to my co-workers about my doll and the next one I wanted to get. Two minutes later, two girls came in with their BJDs! My co-workers thought I knew them since I'd just been talking about BJDs - I hadn't met them but we found out that we all planned to go to a meet two weeks later. Their timing was too perfect, really! They were really nice too :)

I don't take my girl out very much, but sometimes I'll let her ride shotgun when I go through a drive-thru. When I got my boy, I had to take him to work, since I'd been in my hometown the night before and didn't have time to drop him off at my place. Apparently there were a lot of doll collectors I didn't know about - not BJD collectors but still, it was nice to know that my boy was appreciated. I hope I can take my two out more often; I love showing them off.

3. No I haven't. I see dolls at anime conventions and meet new people but not exactly unexpected. I take my dolls out with me sometimes but rarely even meet anyone who knows what they are. That is unless I run into another local group member.

4. When I was in Disney World (Epcot) last summer (early July) my sister jerked me over and was all like, "That girl has a doll!" I looked and just fleetingly saw someone with a tiny BJD, I think it was a little fee girl! I didn't have a chance to say hi or anything though.

[/edit] lol @ I<3mySD, it's a small world after all, or perhaps there are just many BJD owners hitting up Epcot.

5. I one time went to a joanne's fabric store with my best friend and we each brought a doll with. Well, one of the young women that worked there recognized our dolls to be BJD and we actually got together to hang out.

6. I did! I was in Waldens Bookstore in Chapel Hill browsing around and I saw this girl with her friend and she had a doll!
      He was the cutest thing ever. SHe actually told me about DOA and she let me hold him and we talked and talked and talked! It was really great; I didn't think there were people there that had BJDs so I was happy to see some one^^

7. I carry mine everywhere. It doesn't matter the size. My tiny Midsummer I just carry in my hand, and the MSDs go in my straw tote and hang over the edge, my SD's go into a yoga bag. I haven't seen any sightings this year! :(

Renaissance faire I took my SD's and some people said, oh I should have brought mine!

Okay Colo. people, bring out your BJD's already!!!

8. Walmart. XD Of all places. My two friends and I were in the fabric section and we were getting material for our cosplays for an upcoming convention and a mother and a daughter suddenly appeared with an SD boy and an MSD girl. It was actually thanks to them that I finally decided on getting a doll officially, since I knew about the dolls but wasn't really sure if I should get one of not seeing as I've never seen them in person.

9. Other than me and my friend owning dolls in our neighbourhood, I never knew another lady did. And she stayed so close to us too! She lives a few stories above me.

I was just coming out of my house with a big bag and she saw a fluffy head.

Lady: A chihuahua...? Won't it suffocate in there?
      Me: Huh? Erm...no...it's 2 dolls...
      Lady: I wanna see!
      Me: Er...okay...? -opens bag to let her peek in-

And I seriously did not expect her to open her bag and pull out her Sard. I was so surprised. Her boyfriend was embarrassed though. He thought she scared me when I gave her a surprised expression. LOL. But when I told her that one of the 1/4s is mine and that the rest of my dolls are 1/3s, she was so happy. It seems that she couldn't really handle the smaller dolls.

A few days ago I met her again and this time I was on my way to meet my friend who was living only 2 stories above mine. I didn't bother to keep my OE Heliot in a bag since we live so near. And she practically squealed.

Lady: Why didn't you tell me you have a Heliot?!!! I always wanted a Heliot~! You have the romantic head?
      Me: Erm...ya...?
      Lady: O.M.G~!!! Can I take photos of your kids? Where are you going anyway?

And she ended up tagging along to my friend's house with her Sard. LOL

10. Not a sighting, really...

I was at Goodwill where I am and I was sorta trying to duck down and skulk about the ladies area of the clothing. People have some stupidity when it comes to you just looking for fabric...if you're a man and you're looking in the women's clothes and are not accompanied by a females you are instantly labelled as A.) A creeper B.) A drag queen and the very seldom assumed C.) Buying for a lady in your life.

So yeah, I was looking for nice fabrics to use to make doll clothes, right? Well..I was caught. This elderly woman had been following me around and here I thought I was doing good and being sneaky. (Yeah, yeah, I'm one inch shy of seven feet tall, I fail at sneaky...) She had been watching me touch and examine various bits of clothing and suddenly, she seems to pop up out of nowhere and goes, "Are you looking for fabrics to make something?" I've just jumped out of my skin and try to make an excuse before I realized what she asked me. I told her yeah, I was going to make clothes for a doll I was getting soon. I also told her it was because sometimes the clothes cost as much or more than the doll itself.

She smiled and nodded and guess what? She was there for the same reason and also, it was for making clothes for her incoming BJD as well! She helped me find some nice things. I really hope I run into her again, she was very sweet and understanding. She didn't even have the normal person's reaction to a man that sews things for the fun of it or a man who wants a big resin dolly. X3 I guess it's just dolly people are more understanding than most?

My favorite catch of the day was this awesome little baby dress she helped me find. There were two nearly the same, but different colors. She took the yellow and I took the pink. It has some solid parts and the rest have cute little colored pony shapes all over. The pony shapes are the perfect size for my incoming doll and for Val's pretties too! I might be able to make two dresses and some skirts from this little dress. (My new buddy loves to go to Goodwill, so I know I'll catch her again!)

11. I havent run into any other doll owners, but boy would that just make my day!

12. Ah! This happened to me while I was in WalMart once! My friends and I were purchasing fabric (for cosplay, of course) in the crafts section of the store, talking about cosplay and BJDs... when lo and behold a mother and her daughter walk up with BJDs in hand! The mother turns out to be someone that one of my friends knows who works at conventions we go to in cosplay! So we get stuck there for about 30 minutes talking about BJDs! 83 Now, this is the first time I'd seen a BJD up close--the only other time is when I saw an artist doing face ups at Fanime '09 or "watching over" a couple artist ally tables. This is also what got me interested in looking around online for BJDs since the mother gave us cards for the Blue Blood Dolls website!

13. It hasn't happened to me but I would be happy if it did!

14. I was the not-quite-a-sighting in this story. I was on vacation visiting family in Oregon, and my mom and aunt and I were at the mall. We went to the Sanrio store, and they have these Hello Kitty plush dolls that you buy different costumes for and dress up. The clothes wouldn't really work (for the most part-- maybe the kimono, depending on the doll), but there were little bitty purses that would have been PERFECT.

The salesgirl came over to ask if we wanted help, and my mom said 'My daughters collect dolls,', and the salesgirl immediately said 'Oh, BJDs, yeah?'.

=^__^=
      Anneko

15. hehe I has something similar happen as well. I had my lil one in my shopping basket at Joanns. And the girl cutting the fabirc, guessed I was making doll clothes,(during con time she always knows it's for cosplay to, as she goes ^.^) And then I went to the counter and the cashier went "oh! You have one of those ball joint dolls!" all happy.

havent had a random run in with them... just unexpected people knowing about them! Like the random rather... prissy seeming woman at my husbands high school reunion. <3

16. Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread!
      I was incredibly surprised to find a 12 Obitsu in Blick art shop for sale.
      $59.00, import straight from Japan! It still had the original Kanji!

I was looking for a pencil, and did a double take once I saw the obitsu's!
      I wanted to bring my SD to it was a total taunt that made me think I was just
      loosing it. lol

But there they were! I don't even think I've seen one at Blick's
      location downtown!

17. Strolling through Los Angeles' toy district yesterday, these gloves got my attention. You'll see why. ;)

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've seen a BJD's photo being used to sell gloves, but I guess something as lovely as the Volks F-01 can appear on anything targeted to those who crave the cute and girly. (And don't mind the uh, copyright infringement aspect...)