1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected BJD Sightings

Jun 29, 2010

1. I haven't seen another one in public, but I've met an owner! (Sort of.)

Unexpectedly, I had to fly home from a convention, and had my only doll (at the time) as my "carry on". In the waiting-for-boarding area, I had to put him on the seat next to me to get something out of my pocket. I was already getting a few weird looks ("Tiny zombie?" "Alien baby?"), but there were two middle-aged Japanese guys in suits (stereotypical salary men, lol) who kept looking at me and speaking to each other in Japanese.

Finally, one of them approached me and said, "My daughter has Volks Sakura." And then he scuttled back to his friend and they giggled like school girls. It was bizarre, but really cute. :)

It'd be nice to meet someone else in town... :)

2. Heh, I take my MDD in with me on occasion when I walk to my local Sith*Mart. When something new comes in for Best Friends' Club I have to check to see if it's Namiko-tan's style.

Yeah, people can be super cruel.

3. Wow people actually go shopping for groceries in THAT sort of outfit?! ( On a side note i do want that RAINBOW BELT XD)
      It's rather mean but then again that not exactly the sort of clothes people wear to go to the market, maybe that's why they had to go poke fun at them...

Back to the topic, I was coming home from school when i saw this girl carrying her boy and buying bubble tea at the local bakery. Her boy was approximately 60cm...? so it was pretty obvious. Surprisingly no one was staring at her... ( I on the other hand was having a fit of sheer joy) Unfortunately i didn't have the gut to approach her... :(

4. I had a dream the other night that I went out in public, and I had my doll on my back (like popping out of my bag), and the odd person here and there approached me, and told me they had bjds. I was really happy that I finally had courage to take a doll out. but thenn I woke up..haha OH WELL. I woke up, and thought..nahh I wont be going in public anytime soon with a doll.

Thats the only problem. I'd love to go out in public with a doll. so that I could possibly be approached by others who are interested in bjd's. but I dont want to be seen on my own with a doll, then I will be judged as a crazy doll lady, haha. I would be fine with it,. if I had a friend with me though!

5. Today- I had an interesting experience. I was in Orange County and saw a four year old girl with some sort of BJD. Her mom was remarking to not drop her or she will break like the last one she had, and how expensive she is.

Well, if she is expensive and easy to break don't give her to a four year old to play with!!

Only in Orange County (California)- rich people. I only had those tough- hard to break, lasts for twenty years types of toys when I was a kid. Maybe thats why when I'm older I feel like I want to collect the pretty things I didn't have when I was kid.

6. I was at a local doll show a few years back and this young lady was cradling a bjd in her arms, don't know who it was, but it was pretty neat. This was before I had a bjd of my own & I think it influenced my decision to own one.

7. About three years ago I met a doll owner with my absolutely favorite doll (a Unoa) in a botanical garden. I was super shy though and didn't approach them, it was my birth mom who started talking to them and made me come over. xD It was really cool considering I'd never seen one in person at that point. c:

8. Ahah. Today, I saw someone holding their BJD at an anime convention I went to. I was like, "FFF I'M GETTING ONE OF THOSE SOON!! <333" But she didn't look at me. xD

The only reason this was unusual was because this year, the convention was combined with a comic book convention, so there were like...really hardly anime anime fans there. Hardly anyone cosplayed. A BJD owner was unexpected since it looked like there were all comic book fans there or something. o3o

9. I guess I sort of was the siting for a few people at least- back in my freshman year of college, my Japanese professor asked me to bring in my bjds (I'd told him I'd been collected them etc.) and so I brought my Lati K and gave a 10-15 minute show and tell discussion at the end of class. XD A few people were totally freaked, but some actually came up to me afterwards and were like "I really want to get one of those!"

10. To date I have never seen an unexpected BJD sighting - but I live in hope!

11. I haven't had one yet, and I doubt I will for a verrrrry long time xD It doesn't seem to be such a huge hobby here in Australia and I believe the doll collectors may be far between! It'd be awesome, though!

That said, I did have an unexpected sighting. I forget how I got onto the song, but I like watching music videos from time to time and I watched Walking on Air by Kerli. Lo and behold! A BJD! :D It was pretty awesome!

12. I've only really seen them out and about in Anime/manga conventions. I don't feel comfortable with taking my doll out in public and carrying him in my arm...just in case someone bumps into me and its bye bye precious

13. Noticed you both were in Australia.
      Let me make your unexpected Doll carrier lol. what states are you in?

14. Much amusement! Yay! I'm currently living in QLD.

15. *high fives another Cane-Toad* YEAH!!! (where in QLD are you?)

i was "jumped" by a lovely lady in Auckland (New Zealand) a few months back when I was buying eyelashes for face-ups in an awesome $3 Japan Imports Store in Queen Street - I had my Custom House Junior Ai Yeondu with me sort of cradled in the crook of my arm but with her head poking up and looking over my shoulder..... She grabbed me and started firing off questions about Yeondu's hair and outfit and where did I get her face-up done and how long did I have to wait for her etc... She isnt yet a member of DoA but we traded e-mails and I'm face-upping two of her in-coming dolls when I fly over in December... so yeah I guess that makes me the unexpected sighting...?

16. yeah I've seen that one..... have you seen her NEW video called "Tea Party" it features about 8 of the Goodreau BJD's.... all of them are OT for DoA but still ball-jointed so yeah.... LOLs

17. I have seen BJDs only at Animecons... and there was no time to talk because I have to work ^^.

But when I was at Narita Airport, a guy who was working for Volks was aproaching me Oo. (He was an european too- so I was surprised) He has asked me about my Angelregion Cien, that I was carrying along (I felt guilty because it wasn`t a Volks doll ^^.) [The Cien now belongs to a good friend of mine]

18. Ooohwa! No, I hadn't! I shall have to go check that out! I reckon the new Eva at Iplehouse looks a bit like Kerli, minus the piercings of course! o.O

As for whereabouts in this giant state of QLD... I'm realtively easily able to access Brisbane xD

19. I caused one today. XD I was out with Hatter because it was a nice day and I thought maybe we'd luck out finding him some new clothes. No luck with that, but when I went into AxMan (local random-stuff store), I promptly got attacked by two college-age girls. "OMG, is that a BJD?? What mold? What company? Can I hold him???" So Hatter was passed around, muchly petted and kissed, and the girls were invited to the meet-up tomorrow so they could ogle more dolls. This was weird because I take Delirium, my Banji, /freaking everywhere/ pinned to my shoulder and she's never caused a comment yet. Well, except for a waitress who once asked if the doll wanted anything :)

20. I've yet to see ones randomly myself, but I did cause one the other weekend. I took one boy (my KDF) to the local Renaissance Festival with me, and we were walking along and a girl selling flowers asked me if there was a meet. I didn't even think about checking for a meet there, and I didn't see any other resins around the whole day. But it was pretty cool. We talked for a minute about our dolls, and then went on our merry ways.
      I'd love to see dollies in public :) I make it a point to take my boys anywhere I feel relatively safe taking them. No malls/crowded places, etc. but a quick trip to JoAnn fabrics or something like that, sure!