1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected BJD Sightings

Jun 29, 2010

1. I saw a girl in a corner market one time, and thought, "Hey neat, never seen a BJD in real life." Now we're friends. @_@

2. i saw this girl next to my class.. i was in an art school that time.. she was holding her BJD up and down and during class since her homework was all done, she started to continue sewing the dress for her doll.. o.o.. her doll was a female and she wouldnt let any of her friends touch her

3. This has happened to me twice to far! I still can’t believe it. It sure is a small world!

The first time my dad’s motorcycle broke down when we were going to go see the first Iron Man movie. We had to use a restaurants phone because ours happened to die. While I waited in the front, a lady walked by me carrying a BJD. I was shocked because it was just so random.

The second time was I was at midnight showing of New Moon (my friend wanted me to come with her. -_-) I was just sitting there people watching and then BAM a girl with one walks by and I’m doing a double take! Haha!

4. i've never even seen any BJDs other than my own. ;__;

5. On the bus as I was heading to work I saw this young girl with a very handsome looking BJD. She held him in her lap as she sat on the bus. I tried not to look or seem suspicious. I don't approach people because it's weird, I mean. Would YOU like some weird stranger to walk up to you and say "wow, what a handsome doll you got there!" I just smiled when she looked back but continued on my way to work.
      It was very strange but I think it's because of seeing this that I decided I wanted to go ahead and get my doll NOW.

6. Heh, yesterday my friend who lives in another state was telling me about seeing a girl in school with a Blythe doll... My friend asked the girl if she liked BJDs and other things of that sort and apparently the girl got all excited and started rambling XD Not exactly a firsthand sighting myself, but a funny little meeting between two BJD lovers (my friend doesn't have one yet but would like one someday, and I never heard if the other girl actually owned one or not, just that she was enthusiastic about them.)

I've seen plenty of BJDs in person though, since going to doll meets in my area >u> I can't help but feel we've caused a couple sightings, because there's always girls (sometimes boys!) looking at us curiously, not in the way strangers usually do... Maybe they're just curious, maybe they know about them, I dunno >u<

7. The strangest for me is I ran into someone with one of Batchix's dolls (and she was there too) at Botcon (Yes, a Transformers convention) in Pasadena, CA.

8. Does a BJD reference in a webcomic count? Pretty sure this is several years old even if it has no date: http://xkcd.com/122/

9. Not a BJD sighting but a owner sighting. I was waiting for my bus to arrive when i randomly met an old friend of mine. He asked what that "case thingy" was i was carrying. So i began telling him about BJD'S and the girl sitting next to me asked me: are you by any chance talking about BJD'S? And ik was like, well yes. Turnes out she also owns BJD'S. Even more funnier her train didn't go so she had to go by bus wich was also my bus. So if that train did go we never would have met.

10. So I have one sudo sighting and one where I was the sightee.

The sudo sighting is that when I was first getting into bjds I had been hanging out with the local collectors and deciding what I wanted in a doll. I finally bought a doll and asked a friend of mine to have a sewing party with me. So I go and I am trying to make some SD sized shorts based solely on the measurements provided by the company when she asks what on earth I am doing. I start to explain BJDs to her when she says "hold on" runs upstairs to her bedroom and comes back down with a BJD. She had owned him for a while, but didn't know there were other collectors in the area so she hadn't gone to any meets. After that I introduced her to the dollie people in town. XD

The one where I was the sightee was at a very small local fantasy convention. I had brought my bjd and in the dealer room many people stopped me to ask questions, but one lady actually knew about bjds and was considering getting one. She asked to hold my boy and said that it was really nice to see one in person first.

11. My roommate and I have been the cause of a few sightings recently, though only one where people actually knew what it was. We took our MSDs to the Japanese Fall Festival at the Japanese garden here, and had a few fun incidents.

One lady stopped us and asked us if our dolls were "those anime dolls" and then told us that her daughter had been looking at them. She found her daughter and found us again. That girl had her mouth wide open and her first question to her parents was- "Can we order one?!"

Another girl ran by and was like "!! I didn't bring mine!"

And, we were posing them by a pond near the entrance to the garden, and this really young girl from across the way yelled "BJDS!!! I HAVE ONE, TOO!"

We saw her mom later carting her (the girl's) BJD around. The woman promptly told us that it was her daughter's before we could say anything. XD

12. I was in photography class when my professor pulled out a couple photos for us to critique of a senior who was having his own show soon. To my surprise...the subject was a BJD!! When we asked us if we thought the "girl" was real or not, mostly everyone thought she was, but myself and another girl knew what they were. Later on that girl told me that she owned two of her own and I hooked up with the senior who was having his show and he let me play with his doll. That was the first time I had ever gotten to hold a doll!
      :D

13. I wouldn't consider anime conventions to be a random spotting but I've seen a few dolls randomly. Around a year or two ago I saw a girl on the train holding a big bag, at one point she opened it and there was a Volks girl. Besides that I was surprised at my office a couple weeks ago. I had a photo of my Chiwoo as my phone background and my co-worker saw it. Rather than the "oh, what's that?" he said something along the lines of "oh! is that a doll? you must know the company "Volks" then."

He's not a doll collector but a model collector and has been to the Akihabara Volks store and seen the doll area.

14. I saw a lady with a lovely Yo-sd dressed in a minnie mouse costume when I was at Disneyland a few months ago

15. If anyone rides the BART from either the Oakland or Berkeley, CA locations, I'm pretty positive you have seen me or will see me with my dolls sometime. I use public transit.

Usually, I get pretty negative responses from people who also use the BART when they see my doll, so I tease them about how my doll is a vessel for pesky, wandering spirits who need a body, or, how my doll is really a tiny person, and, please, how would YOU like it if you were VERY short and someone pointed at YOU?

My wife is always on the BART with me. She's extremely adorable and in a wheelchair.

Please help me fend off mean bully people if you ever see me with my dolls ; 3 ; Everyone is soooo cruel...be my hero, haha.

16. I went to Great Western War 2011 (I belong to a medieval reenactment society--the SCA--and this was a big event in California at the beginning of this month). Several of the vendors were collectors! I even found BJD 1/3 scale pottery in a medieval style! My doll and I now have matching feast gear (read: dishes). I met two of these vendors (one gave us the scoop on the other) and we looked at pics of her dolls. The other vendor had one of her dolls with her, wrapped against the heat. It was so cool! I didn't bring mine though. It was too far to travel in a car with something like that. My poor dollies might have gotten injured. They remained safe and sound at home. Maybe next time!

17. I've never seen an unexpected BJD outside of the normal meetup/con experience, but I've BEEN that unexpected BJD person. I was drinking bubble tea in a bubble tea shop and my girl was just standing on the coffee table as I typed my paper, and two girls who came in and got some tea were giggling and at the same time, "we love your bjd!" and giggled and ran out as my face went from :O to :D!

18. Haiiro and I will probably end up on People of Wal-Mart one day. We took her doll with us while wearing pajamas. XD

19. Saw someone with their doll at an aquarium on vacation a few years ago. i didn't approach her or anything though haha, this was way before i got my dolls anyway U _U;;

20. I've never seen any BJDs, but then there are only two of three of us in my area. But I'm sure I've provided plenty of sightings, though! I'm constantly dragging my dolls with me to the fabric store, craft stores, thrift shops, and occasional random places rather than leave them in the car... Including WalMart once in a while. The ladies at the fabric store will actually ask me where my "kids" are if I don't have one with me, they're so used to seeing them. One told me that a customer had come in the other day to buy fabric for a doll's dress, and the employee had then told her all about my dolls and how I'm always bringing them around and making them things. I've also been known to tote them around Solvang after a photoshoot at the waterfall, and take them to the beach. And for steady sightings, I almost always have at least one with me at work, sitting behind the counter for all the world to see. I've had several people ask me "OMG is that a BJD?" To which I say "It sure is. You you like to hold him/her?" And then they just melt. :)

I would love to see someone with a BJD, though, outside of a meet or anime/comic related event.