1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected BJD Sightings

Jun 29, 2010

1. I'm really surprised by the number of people who bring their dolls to work! It's cool. I may have to do it one day. :)

2. Sort of; I went to this downtown Toystore where they were selling Angelic Pretty Pullips. When the cashier rang her up for me at the counter, she said that she lived Pullips and she had a bunch at home. Out of curiosity I asked if she had any resin dolls. She said no, but she knew a bunch of people who did. She thought most owners were creepy and that they talked to their dolls and what not (not true, even of I have met a few collectors like that). I basically just said that she didn't need to worry, I don't do things like that (aside from the occasional "Dammit, Dulcet! Why is your butt so big?" when I'm dressing her). She was nice, and she knows what Pullips are (yaaay!), just probably had some bad experiences. :)

3. I haven't seen anyone with a BJD in Houston (where I used to live) or in New Orleans (where I live now). However I'd really like to! Whenever I work out some more personal issues going on with my "home life" I will probably search for a local doll meet. I'd really like to meet some people that collect BJD irl.

4. I was at the post office waiting in line to pick up my first doll, and i saw this lady in the front desk received a box that has a super dollfie in it.

5. I was on the other end of this a few years ago XD
      Some girls on my college campus were really into BJDs and a mutual friend of ours brought them by one day.
      Little did they know they had 5 BJDs living just down the block from them... and funny enough, on that day about 8-10, because one of my doll friends happened to be staying with me that weekend XD

The girls had been living under my nose (I was dormitory staff) for a year, I'd talked to them in passing, but we never maid the connection till the day they came by, and they looked like they acted like they just about died and went to heaven XD

6. I've never seen any except for at anime conventions, but I walked into Michael's craft store once to buy faceup supplies with my doll when a lady walked up and said "oh, is that one of those dolls with all the cool joints?" :D

7. There's a picture of a BJD in the booklet for a CD by Blond Redhead (Misery is a Butterfly). It doesn't have arms, but you can see it has a head cap and inverted hip-thigh joints. And maybe a separate piece for the neck... Looks like an artist sculpt... I scanned it here.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/yukamina/misery56.png
      Naturally that song is about a doll (in a creepy, "my lover is a doll" way). Apparently one of the band members is Japanese, so that would explain why there's a pic of BJD.

8. I was wondering in the mall today and found an accessory store that was going out of business so I checked it out and found a BJD wallet! What's funny was this was my LUTS Bory's first outing, and he was sitting in my bag. Maybe he's a magnet?

[​IMG]

9. Here in Toronto we see quite a few people with dolls in hand. Especially in Chinatown, Queen Street and Kensignton Market. I find if I carry one of my dolls they get a lot of compliments in these areas of town, more so than negative. A few people know what they are, but those who don't often ask me if I made the doll (I am an Artsie type and older woman that's probably why) and is it a puppet or a stop motion doll. They also compliment the level of clothing and the details. I have converted a few people and happily pass on the addresses of the BJD's shopping malls on line.

10. In my college chem. class someone was doing a PowerPoint for the class's final presentation. In the powerpoint, I can't even remember what it was on, there was pictures of BJDs. I was so surprised, but didn't have the time to hunt down the girls giving the presentation to ask if any of them were into BJDs. It made me smile though!

11. I was on the other end of this but it really shocked me. I was waiting for a doll friend of mine at an door of a store with my doll in one of those black cases from Iplehouse (the ones that have the tiny Iplehouse logo on them). I had been there a while when a little girl no more then 7 or 8 years-old walked by with her mother. When she saw me and the case she got really excited and whispered to her mother "Mom! shes got a dollie in there!" I was so shocked that someone so young knew what it was just by looking at the case.

12. somewhen last year guest professors/researchers came to my university to deliver a lecture on Korean Buddhist art. unfortunately one of the professors had a really bad english accent so i couldn't understand a word.. in my boredom i started to look at the audience and~~~ i noticed a big dollfie sitting on one of the chairs. and the owner was combing her hair. i was like @0@; first time i saw a bjd in real life

also, in Korea i saw some dollfies in the displays of some shops, and once my friend and i ran into 2 Korean girls dressing their dolls in a park. i reallly wanted to chat with them but they were extremely shy, probably because my stupid friend scared them away x'3

13. I was in Barnes and Noble for the last Harry Potter book, and had my Ttori, Damien, with me. He was dressed in the Harry outfit. A girl came up and said she had a DES at home! But she's never come to a meet and I don't think she is a part of DoA.

14. [video=youtube;dty75p6QCjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dty75p6QCjg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

A friend of mine posted this to Facebook because his cousin created the concept I was floored. 1:06 is where the BJDS are.

15. It did make me cry...so sweet! And it's the band Mistula!

16. Wow Really!? *is from Brampton but doesn't visit Toronto often enough* I need to go to Kensignton market! I've never heard of that area before, remind me to bring my BJD. Hopefully I can visit more often once I start going to University there.

As for my personal experiences: none. My area isn't really bustling with BJD fanatics, but I did go to Anime North (the local anime convention) last May and there was a booth with BJDs there. At that time I've never heard of BJDs before and I only briefly looked at the dolls. I admit I was a little afraid to touch them in fear I would get yelled at.

17. I am the one who causes other people to stare. I take one or two dolls with me when ever I leave the house. If I go out to eat I sit them on the table so they feel a part of everything. Boy do people stare at me. If I ever see someone else with a bjd I will most definitely be excited and strike up conversation!

18. I used to work at Ben Franklin in Redmond (it is a craft and frame shop) two customers (a mother and a daughter) asked me where the Styrofoam balls were. I directed them to the correct spot and then they were talking about how to make it into a stand for wigs and I instantly knew! I spoke with them for a bit and they were really excited about the hobby it was a fantastic experience! I miss working there!
      Angel kat

19. Today I actually saw a picture of a volks girl's face on an asian cosmetics store sign promoting fair and smooth skin lol…but I never saw an actual BJD in real life besides my own though, how disappointing.

20. I have never seen anyone other than me with BJD's here where I live. I wish I did, I'd totally ask them to let their dolls be friends with mine lol