1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Unique Animal BJDs

Oct 15, 2019

1. I would love for there to be a mantis bjd. Those things are so cool.

2. Well, it's more humanoid, but there's Jadite. (And as mentioned by someone else, the OT Eve Studios Orchid Mantis - check their backorder list. I agree, mantids are awesome.)

#22 Sianserais, Oct 18, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    3. I didn't really think I'd add any animal type bjd's to my collection (unless it's a dragon.... cause dragons and dinosaurs are my fav), but I was pulled in by a little cutie....Larry from Doll Chateau. I was so lucky to have been tempted by this little guy! A collector close by was selling him and he kept popping up in my social media feeds. I finally gave in....and he is sitting with his new protector (my Lishe minifee) now on my desk. So he's kind of opened up my mind to new and exciting animal bjds!

4. I would personalty like to see more birds, realistic birds, a crow, a owl, parrots exc. I know there is a few out there but I'd like to see more! :)

5. I would really like to see a pangolin, bird of prey like a hawk or eagle, and a stingray.

I love Peanut and want him so badly too!

6. I am curious. Do the animal dolls need to be fully jointed to be considered on topic or is all animal dolls that arent humanoid off topic. I been wondering this for some time!

Also to chime in. Peanut is quite cute! I really love the dragons BJDs that are out there.

7. Honestly Pooki, I gave up on trying to make any sense of the DOA rules of what's on topic and why years ago. It's why I don't post pics anymore. It was far too stressful to keep track of.
      And in my years here the rules have changed a few times for extra confusion.

I THINK it's to do with wrist joints but I don't even....

8. That would make sense if its the wrist like joints. *shrugs* I guess just asking the Mods would be the best solution if the doll is brand new and never seen before XD Maybe I'll just put in a suggestion for them to literally just make a section on pet dolls since yes they are props but people love collecting them too more then human dolls at times. So they should get equal love x.x

I do know what I'd love to see as a doll that I don't think exists yet as a doll is a Kirin doll. Prob one of my top favorite Chinese creatures aka the Asian Unicorn.

9. Like Purple, I've completely given up on trying to figure out which of my own menagerie of "beasties" are on-topic and which aren't... The rules have become absolutely Byzantine over the years... So I tend to default to considering anything that isn't humanlike "off-topic" and just don't post pictures or talk about them here. Once you start digging, though, there are a *lot* of little creatures out there to choose from.

I'd also like to see a well-done non-"chibi"/MyLittlePony-style kirin. And a pair of lion-dogs (I've seen the little.... Was it LoongSoul's?... "doggie", but he's not quite what I'm after-) would be great. I also think we need a good frog.

10. @purple_monkfish , @Pooki , @Brightfires , You can always go to HELP on the top banner and click on Ask the Moderators, privately, to find out if any doll is on topic. It may take a while to get an answer but it will come eventually.
      Or you can search Doll Profiles to see if your sculpt is already up.
      Or you can post pictures of any doll as long as a known on-topic doll is also in the frame.
      I use these methods myself and some dolls I never thought would be allowed were actually on-topic so it's worth the effort.

11. That's a fine idea if you have one or two questionable creatures. It's not so practical if you're talking about a small zoo. :lol:

12. ^ that plus some people actually collect the animals over humanoid so yes small zoos. I know I really love a lot of the animal BJDs I've seen and would be considered them quite a lot before officially coming back to the hobby. I guess its also the mentality that BJDs did start out as humans and it has evolved since the first ones. Aka Volks (officially at least).

The world has def changed with technology and creativity. So there's no solid answer at this point. So I'd personally say if it has the proper joints for what it is (same as a human) then it should count.

13. @Brightfires , @Pooki, Oh, come on, these are just excuses. I recently asked the mods about three different anthros and they were all on-topic. If you really want to know the status of your dolls, just ask. If you feel you have too many, ask about a few at a time.

14. @phanuel I really don't see it as an excuse just a point in the discussion on why its such a touchy topic. Also please keep in mind this isn't aimed at actual anthros but actual animals since they too can be BJD. Theres Anthros and then theres animals.

Most times Anthro are on topic yes from what I've seen. Since they share a humanoid body. But rules are rules until further changed :) Nothing to go calling people out for and calling them excuses.

15. @Pooki , Well, if you're complaining about the on-topic criteria themselves, that's one thing. If you're just wanting to know the status of your own dolls, that's another.
      I'm not trying to raise anyone's hackles, this isn't a confession board after all.

16. I would like Japanese koi, axolotl, lizard, ferret or marten, chamaeleo, more variety in mouse and deer sculpts, more anthro foxes.

Now, I want jellyfish, too!<3

#36 great-queen-morrigan, Oct 23, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    17. You asked about three? Good for you.
      I have something north of fifty now, not counting the ones that I know others have posted. <_<

So, you're welcome to consider that an "excuse" if you like... But I prefer to consider it polite. Checking them all would be more of a bother for myself and the mods than I'm willing to subject anyone to.

18. I would definitely buy a BJD horse! I have seen a few on etsy but am so wary to who is 'legit' and who isnt. Would be so awesome to have a great posing horse!

19. An anglerfish might be interesting. Or a coelacanth.

My Doll Chateau Fuya needs some fishy friends who suit her aesthetic.

I also wish someone would make a swan. One at least big enough for the larger YoSD sized dolls to sit on the back of.

No idea of any of those would be on-topic if they existed, though.