1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Using real foods for doll props

Nov 29, 2009

1. At the Whole Foods near us, there are mini-tarts and mini-cupcakes - those could be used for SD13-sized sweets. :>

2. Quail eggs to make hard boiled eggs with, and button quail eggs for smaller dolls. To get them out of the shell, soak them in white vinegar until the hard coating dissolves. Otherwise they get all wrecked.
      -Pere

3. I've seen the 100-calorie packs of most snacks, like some of the Keebler cookies, and whatnot, make really good SD13 or so cookies, I've also seen them in Cheez-its and that kind of snack cracker.

I think that would look relatively in scale as long as you have the bigger dolls.

4. Sushi works wonders too as a prop:
      [​IMG]

5. Heh. This maybe lame... but you could take Chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips and wrap them in foil to look like Hershey kisses. I just thought of it. Might look cute if you wrapped them in christmas colored foil for xmas shoots.

6. Oh, okay, what I used to do when I was little was snap the end off a cone of ice cream and scoop up a little bit of the ice cream into the tiny piece of cone and there you have it- a tiny little ice cream. I suppose you'd have to be careful as to not spill any on your doll but if you could snap some pictures in time it would look adorable :)

7. I'm thinking of baking some SD sized Dutch style santa cookies for this weekend's St. Nicolas celebration. Shinta will be dressed up as St. Nicolas for the occasion ;). He already has an SD size candy bag. Normally these cookies are the size of an adult finger tip.
      [​IMG]

8. that idea is so.... CUTE! I will definitly try that when I get my doll ^_^

9. Such awesome ideas everyone! :D Especially now with Christmas/Holidays just around the corner XD Oh and I just had to post this! I didn't make this, but I thought it was so neat, because it's a real meal. original posting at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111577.0 It even shows how it's made :D
      [​IMG]

Also, here's a website that has recipes to make mini-meals: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/pint-sized-food-recipes
      Gabbie that idea with the chocolate chips is not lame, it's actually pretty cool cause there are those of us who may want to make/have hersey's kisses for our dolls but might wind up doing it the hard way and make them lol And they come in two sizes, "regular" and "mini"!
      TMar normally as in...normal human size is suppose to be finger tip big? O.o That's some tiny cookies! lol If I didn't know any better, I would've thought that picture was a life size plate of cookies lol

10. Ayperi, they're more of a snack really, like potato chips. You can eat a lot of them. The dutch word for it would translate very poorly I think because it refers to pepper, but there isn't any pepper in it.

11. I've used real food because. I've never gone out of my way to cook something specifially for a shoot, I usually use left overs or food that I question.

12. Mini bananas sort of work. I think I have a picture of one of my dolls holding it (not on my computer right now though) and it might have been a little big, but you could just call is a mutant banana. XD

13. Hmm...I've actually done something like this...

Everytime I made chocolate chip pancakes, there would always be a little batter and 1 chocolate chip left so I would scoop it up and cook it...then take pics of Pandora w/ it.

I also recently found snack sized marshmellows(Like snack packs) that are the perfect size for her

14. I am making latkes for Hanukkah tomorrow, and I am planning to try making a few mini ones for Miriam. Not that I have a mini plate or anything to put them on... hm.

15. There are a lot of miniature sized candies out there, nowadays. c: Like leetle butter cups and leetle hershey's bars. That would be suitable for a doll's size.

16. Another idea is to take those polymer clay cutters in the different shapes, and use real cookie dough rolled out- you could probably use that stuff in the roll at the grocery store in sugar cookie- roll it out thinner, use the mini cutters, and make mini sugar cookies, then ice them. :starcookie

I have made a large amount of food, and experimented with SD-sized foods but can't for some reason settle on a 'plate' size- I think it is because of the slimness of the SD's and MSD's that some plates that would be correct scale look like platters next to them. :| also, some of the foods I have made w/ clay seem a little large, such as the cakes.

You might also try the appetizer or gourmet section- they have those little round cheeses in the red wrapping in a net bag- that would make a good wheel of cheese or a cheese ball. Also, those party rye bread slices could be cut up and you could make a mini sandwich- or leave them their original size for 70 cm and larger.

17. hehe this reminds me of a time I went to mitsuwa with a friend. we all had our dolls but we were eating. she felt so bad that we were ignoring the dolls to stuff our faces that she broke off a piece of bread and had her doll pretend to feed his little sister the bread.

Does this count? hehe

18. I posted this in the Little Fee thread, but they also make 100-Calorie packs of gummi bears, and the gummi bears are about half the size of human scale gummis. Sorry for the flash, but here's a picture to show you the scale.

[​IMG]

Also, I don't know how well known these are outside of the the USA, or even the south of the USA, but Tiny Size Chiclets are perfect for doll sized gum. I used to give my Barbies a piece when I was little. :)

19. I had fun with this when I did a shot of the Hatter's tea party. I used petit four cases to make cupcakes in, Alice has a mini chocolate digestive on "her" saucer (I also had some mini chocolate chip cookies that were perfectly to scale, but had no more room on the table), the iced gems were a bit of a cheat, and the birthday cake was one of those supermarket individual birthday cakes (how sad is that?) that was re-iced. I also used caster sugar in the sugar bowl and was going to make cucumber sandwiches out of pressed, thin-sliced bread and sliced gherkins, only I couldn't be bothered in the end.

[​IMG]

20. lol wow this has now given me a ton of idea.