1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Using real foods for doll props

Nov 29, 2009

1. Such awesome ideas I'm seeing :D and some example pics are great to see as one can have a good idea on how it looks in size :D
      Had another idea...Kumquats..they are like tiny mandarin oranges and I think you eat it whole. :3
      Close enough :D lol

Wow, that looks so awesome! And very inventive on making the scaled foods :D

2. Those Tostidos "scoops" tortilla chips could be taco salad bowls for dolls!

3. ok, finally got an image using the cornish hen. though my mother insisted on adding all those "garnishes" X.x it was tasty afterwords though :D Here's my dolls for comparison, a Model Doll female from dollmore and a EID male from Iplehouse.
      [​IMG]

4. Have to agree with the miniature Hershey bars. I got some for Christmas and put one in my 1/3 doll's hand and it seemed in good proportion to a somewhat wide and short regular chocolate bar. xD

If you have a miniature pepper plant, you can grow peppers directly in-scale if you wanted. xD

[​IMG]

5. OMG that's BRILLIANT!!!

Then again...would an Easy Bake oven cake be 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale? Anyone know?

6. If I remember correctly, depends on the style of the cake. It's probably smaller than those mini cakes you get at the store, so it might be closer to 1/4 or between 1/3 - 1/4. Either way, it should passable for an SD (like the size of a torte those fancier cakes) and definitly for MSD/tinies.

7. Something I recently thought of, one of my suggestions in the first post is pretty much anything liquid as it can fill anything. But add Angel Hair pasta, with broth, and some chives and maybe some sliced cherry tomatoes, tiny peppers, and any mini fish like sardines or those canned herring steaks (I mean the small ones of course), add a quail egg while the "soup" is hot to "cook" it (or boil it and slice) and you can have something that looks like either ramen or some asian noodle soup :D

8. We've got super-tiny jars of jam-- I think it was a taste-test set from Knott's Berry Farm. But Cost Plus often has really little jars of jam or lemon curd, as well as other tiny personal-picnic-sized things, if you're looking for packaged foods of that nature.

Also, I saw candy where the box looked like Chinese take-away. I suppose you could rinse out the little tin and put instant noodles inside it for a photoshoot...

=^__^=
      Anneko

9. My mother found some tiny mandarins.. :)

[​IMG]

perfect sd size :)

10. I love making mini scale food. <3
      I dont have any pictures though and I made them for entertainment before I even looked into BJDs.

I really reccomend looking at bento boxes for ideas because a lot of those can be scaled.

Quinoa can be used as rice if rice needs to be scaled.
      I havent had it myself before but its about half the size of rice and comes in quite the color range.

No bake cakes and cookies might make scale easier too.
      If you find a round cookie cutter you can seal the bottom with tin foil or seran wrap and then just follow the recipie's instructions and there you have cake to scale.

Scrambled eggs arent too bad to scale either.

Breads too, so long as they aren't from a batter.
      And if you make bread, that can lead to scale sandwhiches and french toast.

For mini salads, microgreens might work pretty well.

for chicken, you can make very mini chicken cutlets, or even very mini chicken stirfry!
      Stirfry would work well because ingredients need to be cut in the first place and there wouldn't be too noticible of a difference that way.

When I find some of the recipies I have used, Ill post them! :)

11. When I was a kid we used to use fun size chocolate bars as miniature 'frosted chocolate cakes' for our fashion dolls, stuck with bits of colored toothpick as candles. Herb leaves got used as tossed salad. Green grapes stood in as melons, if not very convincingly.
      For my medieval fantasy Court of SD dolls I plan to use carefully made miniature sausage rolls, small potatoes, small green onions posing as leeks, and brussel sprouts make convincing lettuce heads.

12. Just thought of another tid-bit tip. I've remember seeing lots of bakery pans that are mini size that you can get at any grocers store. From bread loaf pans to muffins to tarts :D I've gotten some metal pots and pans for children (just look in the toy areas) that are awesome scaled for SD size and just adding foods into it makes them look like their cooking XD it came with utensils too, though it was just barely a believable scale.

13. There's always store bought candy. I just bought what I think was the last holiday gift box of Toblerone Tinys yesterday. I love Toblerone, so they would have gone to good use even if they didn't fit with my MiniFee. Although, I do think they might look a little better with an SD, but I don't I have an SD body, so there you go.

Here's a picture-
      [​IMG]

I just remembered another real life food that could be used. Round cake sprinkles could be used for hard candy or gumballs, depending on the size of the sprinkles, or your doll. Before you say they are too small, if you are in the US or can order online, Wilton has jumbo sprinkles that are seed bead sized.

14. can't remember if this was mentioned but occasionally, especially for easter or halloween, you can get bags of mini chocolate bars that would be great for MSD or SDs most of them are by Hersheys XD or sometimes you get them regular bars and you got all these smaller "bars" you can break it up into.

15. I made sandwiches for my MSD once that were pretty in-scale, using regular bread, just by cutting the actual sandwiches up small. If you flatten the bread down a bit when you're pressing the sandwich together, it looks believably thin, if you're using thin-sliced bread to begin with....

Don't remember if anyone said this, but miniature swiss rolls that have been sliced into pieces just like you'd cut up a full-size roll work well too. (I learnt this years ago from an article on how to have a successful teddy bear's picnic, of all things!)

16. Just thought to throw this in, you can sometimes find sauce bottles that are made to be more portable in size, I have found mini-tabasco sauce and ketchup bottles that work real well for this XD Also for those that are of age to get these, those mini-bottles of liquor are also pretty good scale for most dolls.

17. ....And now I must get an easy bake oven. I know someone already said it, but that was my first thought too! And tiny cake decorating tools.. Oh this is going to be fun..

Wouldn't it be a great idea for a doll meet? Food inspired! Each person could bring an inscale food for each doll, and then the doll owners could have their own dolly pot luck!

18. [​IMG]

Here's Vince with a brownie bite on a doll-sized plate (although, to him, it's much more than a bite...)

And here's a closeup of the plate and brownie bite next to each other. On that one I wanted to show off the plate, but kept the brownie in for scale.

[​IMG]

I had baked them for a doll meet, and they just turned out to be the right size for his plate, so I couldn't resist taking some pictures. But they also turned out kind of sticky, so I didn't take any pictures of him holding one.

=^__^=
      Anneko

19. Here in the UK, the Co-op do mini Jaffa Cakes - back when I first got my Hound, Marius, he developed a taste for them:

[​IMG]

20. I wanted some sandwhiches for a scene I was doing so I made them from real food. I actually took bread and sliced it along it's width/thickness. So I had two slices from one slice of bread. then put chesse and mayo on them. In the picture you'll notice the thickness of the 'sandwhiches' is about the thickness of 1 slice of bread. Then I just cut them to the right size for my dolls. The red things are little hard candies I had.
      [​IMG]

Now I want to make doll sized cake... I have cake mix at home...