1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire Teeth.... In or Out?

Jan 8, 2011

1. Wow, and I thought it was just me!

It seems that the fangs showing tends to look more "cute" than serious. It looks cute on child-like sculpts, but a serious adult vampire just doesn't look right with it.

2. I like the little teeth on the outside, because even though that would be really strange to do realistically, I think that they're a way to say "This is a vampire doll". Otherwise, I think they'd look just like a pale emo/goth kind of doll. I think they're both cute and serious.

3. if they are small and protruding, it's not so bad. but when they are large and stick out of the mouth, i have to admit, i laugh. it just looks goofy to me, b/c you're right - it makes them look like they have an overbite! same with werewolf ones, they make me laugh harder since they have multiple teeth that hang out... it looks ridiculous to me. i don't think a doll needs to have visible teeth to be considered a vampire. it's all about how you present them and a backstory.

4. I think that a vampire sculpt having the fangs out looks really, really stupid, with a few exceptions (like the Luts vampires, where the teeth are tiny and the lower lip indented to fit them). They don't look like vampires, they look like walruses and I've no interested in those. So many vampire dolls seem like the sculptor went "Hmm...I want a vampire. *grabs clay and slaps two globs on the lower lip* DONE!", and they look ridiculous. Generally, if the mouth isn't open enough to see the incisors, there's no reason for the canines to be exposed. You don't need to have giant fangs hanging down over the lower lip for a sculpt to be a vampire; I have three and not one of them has his fangs on display. There *are* other ways to convey that a character isn't human.

5. I prefer the fangs to be on the outside, but only slightly. It looks weird if they are too big, and smaller fangs look more elegant I think!
      ~Sarah V

6. One of my favorite things about vampires is their fangs, so I would prefer the fangs to be showing. I don't like it when the mouth is closed and the fangs are huge - if the mouth is closed, then just some subtle fangs are good. However if the mouth is slightly open and you can see other teeth, then I don't mind full-sized fangs.

7. I think I'm currently in the "no fang" camp. I like the idea that my dolls are chameleons and features like visible fangs lock the doll into a limited range of characters. I'm having too much fun swapping costumes, accessories, and even faceups to create so many different personas.

That and the large percentage of walrus mouths on sale is a total turn off.

8. On smaller/younger sculpts the fangs peeking out of a closed mouth are cute. I'm not very keen on open-mouthed dolls, so showing the fangs without them also catching flies at the same time is hard to pull off, too. I think a slightly open mouth with the fang tips showing from the top is the best solution.

9. I love how the tiny fangs stick out! I think it's adorable!
      I wish I owned a vampire BJD like that.

10. I love the Vampire teeth to show, I have looked at alot of boy dolls but never "fell" for one till I found a Vampire boy that I just had to have! My favorite part of him is his teeth poking out and his beautiful lips ^_^

11. I like it best when they're in the mouth with the rest of the teeth, but I don't mind them poking out of closed mouths as long as they're subtle. Big fangs sticking out just looks wrong to me.

12. Personally, I dont like vampire teeth period on a doll. But then, I'm not a fan of fantasy dolls as a whole. There was one vampire sculpt I rather liked, and he had his mouth open with all teeth showing and had fangs that didnt protrude over the bottom lips. I'm trying to remember which sculpt it was but the name/company just completely escapes me at the moment.

13. Most of my dolls based on OCs are vampires but all of them have closed mouths
      except for one sculpt (a VDES). I prefer non-visible fangs in my vampire dolls,
      unless it is a “cute” looking sculpt or even better an open mouth sculpt.
      Otherwise to me it looks a bit off or like it doesn’t make sense aesthetically (to me).
      I don’t mind the length of them either way as long as it is an opened mouth sculpt,
      otherwise it seems forced/fake (because a vampire doll is not fake enough already…>_>;;).
      I like “vampire” ears better, but it’s rare for me to actually see “vampire” dolls with
      vampire ears alone, that I like (or vampire sculpts without teeth that I like,
      I can’t actually recall ever seeing one).

I tend to prefer more realistic/life-like sculpts regardless, so visible-fangs haven’t
      been a deal breaker for me as of yet. None of the dolls I’m normally interested in,
      have fantasy/vampire features, but I doubt the fangs alone would keep me from
      purchasing a sculpt I liked.

So far I haven’t seen any “vampire” sculpt that looks “natural” to me, I think CP’s vampire sculpts
      are the cutest I’ve seen (I own one as I already mentioned). But, none of them look natural – but then
      I guess it depends on what people define as “natural,” vampires are not truly a natural thing. XP

- Enzyme

14. I like the teeth that stick out over the lip. I don't find it weird looking at all, maybe because it see it in an artistic way more than an anatomically correct way. The teeth are just to show that it is a vampire (or dragon or whatever).

15. I'm of the opinion that with the mouth closed, the fangs shouldn't show. If you put in a pair of good fangs, and then try to close your mouth with them sticking out, you look completely ridiculous. No vampire is portrayed this way except for the old black and white Nosferato film; and he had the two bunny teeth sticking out of the front of his mouth. Plus he was supposed to be hideous.

There are some sculpts out there with a partially open mouth and the teeth are beautiful, fangs included. I've also seen some open-mouth sculpts that were not rendered very well.

I agree with the people here who have said that little kid sculpts with tiny points digging into their bottom lip are cute, kind of like the little one hasn't worked out how to hold their mouth with fangs in it.

I've seen several sculpts where the fangs were distracting and ridiculous.

But I'm going to put forward another thought with regard to fanged character dolls: When you put fangs in, it changes the shape of your face. I'd like to see some vampire sculpts with the shape of the mouth, particularly the upper lip, implying a set of fangs underneath! In fact, I'd love to see a doll with removable face-plates (Like the fairyland dolls) that had a fang-shaped mouth, closed, and a separate face plate with the mouth open showing the fangs and teeth slightly!

16. I'm in the no-fangs-showing camp. I have a half-breed vampire-daemon (original I know but hey) and while he DOES drink blood, the sculpt itself is close-mouthed. I preferred to show that he wasn't human with the gleaming eyes and the dark shadows. I painted him so that he looked a bit hungry and it seems to work. I also picked a grumpy-looking face sculpt so you could see that he is "Not Pleased" at all times.

I think the ones with the visible fangs look too over-done. They tried too hard. If the mouth is closed I should not see teeth, no matter if it's the cheezepuff fangs or the tiny points that folks find 'cute'. Not cute. Not correct, even for a 'young' vampire. They don't work for me. I've WORN fangs, proper ones, and with my mouth close you didn't see them. Heck, if you don't talk too much no one notices it. Fangs shouldn't show on a vampire's mouth, not unless they have it open far enough to see them, then it's fine.

17. i think its a personal choice, i dont mind either way as you can create a great vampire character who is not showing their teeth as well as some sculpts with teeth showing. i feel it depends on what you want the overall look as, i like teeth but i like the no teeth vampires too!

18. In my humble opinion, I like the vampire fangs to poke out slightly on the lower lip, like the '08 Breakaway Vampire. It's very subtle, and I love it. I do not like obvious fangs, though. They make me think of Nosferatu, or "ugly vampire." I've seen several companies sculpt dolls with these massive, awkward fangs (won't name names). Some do it on purpose, because that kind of doll appeals to some people (just not me), but then there are others that just make me scratch my head and think, "Ok, when you sculpted this, did you even have an inkling of human mouth anatomy?"

Little spam of my Breakaway, to show you what I mean when I say subtle:

[​IMG]

See? They are there, but you might not notice them right away.

19. A little spam never hurts! I like the kind of fangs on sculpts like your Breakaway where, if they must show, they are placed back nearer the corners of the mouth where the lower lip is not full or slightly indented.

Even in nature, in most animals with long fangs the fangs themselves do not show and are covered by the upper lip. Cats, dogs, lions, dragons (it could happen!)... If my cats sat around with their fangs showing it would creep me out. One does, actually, and it looks a bit odd. I wonder if this covering is something nature intended, to protect the fangs from exposure to the elements where they could dry out and crack?

Still, it does have a very dramatic effect...

20. My trio of vampire dolls are by Cerberus Project and they all have just the teensy tip of their fangs peeking from their lips, which I find incredibly endearing and a must for my vampire doll collection.

As for other people's dolls, I don't make judgment calls on what they should or shouldn't look like. I will admire other's dolls for their beauty and the presentation their owners have created. Deathly pale, otherwordly, hauntingly beautiful, dangerous -- bring it on!

I'm not sure what vampire sculpts I would deem "natural" since in essence, vampires are supernatural beings so the door is wide open for interpretation. Personally I prefer the cute/haughty CP vampires, but that's not everybody's cup of tea!